is your equipment good enough for you

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
Strait cues seems to be a thing of the past. I had customers that say if the cue is kind of strait then it is OK if the price is right. From cue repairing and seeing the straightness of shafts and butts over the years it seems to be getting worse. I used to work at tournaments 20 years ago doing cue repair and worked on mostly Schones, Vikings, Meuccis, Heublers, Joss, McDermott, and custom cues like Joss West, Black, Schick, and Tad. The shafts were mostly strait and sometimes I would do a Schick or a Joss West and see a shaft or butt spin absolutely perfect. It is a rare thing to see cues today that spins good unless they are expensive. With today's technology I just do not understand crooked wood. And what is this coating that you see on shafts that is as feels like the finish on the butt. How can you play with a cue that does not slide through your hand? I hate gloves but it must be the way of the future.
 
straight, solid, and well balanced

Anybody who wants to try to play the game seriously, beginner through pro, needs a cue that is straight, solid, and well balanced. Most shafts can be refinished if the finish is bad and most players can figure out how to do that. Straight and solid is usually beyond their abilities to correct. Some few hundred dollar or cheaper cues are straight and solid, some much more expensive cues aren't.

Haven't heard much about your magic slickem for shafts since the splash when it first came out, how is it doing?

Hu




Strait cues seems to be a thing of the past. I had customers that say if the cue is kind of strait then it is OK if the price is right. From cue repairing and seeing the straightness of shafts and butts over the years it seems to be getting worse. I used to work at tournaments 20 years ago doing cue repair and worked on mostly Schones, Vikings, Meuccis, Heublers, Joss, McDermott, and custom cues like Joss West, Black, Schick, and Tad. The shafts were mostly strait and sometimes I would do a Schick or a Joss West and see a shaft or butt spin absolutely perfect. It is a rare thing to see cues today that spins good unless they are expensive. With today's technology I just do not understand crooked wood. And what is this coating that you see on shafts that is as feels like the finish on the butt. How can you play with a cue that does not slide through your hand? I hate gloves but it must be the way of the future.
 
Anybody who wants to try to play the game seriously, beginner through pro, needs a cue that is straight, solid, and well balanced. Most shafts can be refinished if the finish is bad and most players can figure out how to do that. Straight and solid is usually beyond their abilities to correct. Some few hundred dollar or cheaper cues are straight and solid, some much more expensive cues aren't.

Haven't heard much about your magic slickem for shafts since the splash when it first came out, how is it doing?

Hu
My Shaft Freeze is doing great for me. It is not selling at all with the bigger cue manufacturers but it does cost under $2.00 per shaft so I understand that. I will say that now I am making a SPT shaft taper that is only possible with Shaft Freeze. This taper is the nuts. It is a new experience in playing for me and the customers I show it to, all are switching over. For my business Shaft Freeze has completed my "perfect cue" expectations.
 
shaft tapers

My Shaft Freeze is doing great for me. It is not selling at all with the bigger cue manufacturers but it does cost under $2.00 per shaft so I understand that. I will say that now I am making a SPT shaft taper that is only possible with Shaft Freeze. This taper is the nuts. It is a new experience in playing for me and the customers I show it to, all are switching over. For my business Shaft Freeze has completed my "perfect cue" expectations.

Shaft tapers are a funny thing. The long pro taper was the "thing" for awhile. The longer and straighter the better. Taken to extremes that only worked for a very few people but "everyone" wanted it. Now the trend seems to be back towards better working shafts. It is fun to watch things go around in circles and of course great for the shaft business!

I'm not doing much with cues but I'm becoming a hell of a shop builder. Working on my third shop since Katrina and buying a piece of land now which means my fourth shop is only a year or two down the line! :D :D :D

Hu
 
Strait cues seems to be a thing of the past. I had customers that say if the cue is kind of strait then it is OK if the price is right. From cue repairing and seeing the straightness of shafts and butts over the years it seems to be getting worse. I used to work at tournaments 20 years ago doing cue repair and worked on mostly Schones, Vikings, Meuccis, Heublers, Joss, McDermott, and custom cues like Joss West, Black, Schick, and Tad. The shafts were mostly strait and sometimes I would do a Schick or a Joss West and see a shaft or butt spin absolutely perfect. It is a rare thing to see cues today that spins good unless they are expensive. With today's technology I just do not understand crooked wood. And what is this coating that you see on shafts that is as feels like the finish on the butt. How can you play with a cue that does not slide through your hand? I hate gloves but it must be the way of the future.

Do you still own the Sledgehammer break cues or did you sell the rights to the stick to McDermott? Is it still the same cue as it was before, made the same way or is it a McDermott cue now?

I just bought a older custom Sledgehammer Jump Break cue from an individual recently and it's one hell of a break cue. The Phenolic tip ferrule combo jumps great too. I was able to draw the cue ball half the length of the table off a full ball jump with the full length cue a few times while I was practicing and I've never been able to draw off of a jump shot before.
 
you have a point... with today's technology you'd think they could not only make perfectly straight cues each time, they could come up with some way to reduce warping. Why are so many house sticks badly bent? It can't just be from leaning against the wall, can it?
 
Strait cues seems to be a thing of the past. I had customers that say if the cue is kind of strait then it is OK if the price is right. From cue repairing and seeing the straightness of shafts and butts over the years it seems to be getting worse. I used to work at tournaments 20 years ago doing cue repair and worked on mostly Schones, Vikings, Meuccis, Heublers, Joss, McDermott, and custom cues like Joss West, Black, Schick, and Tad. The shafts were mostly strait and sometimes I would do a Schick or a Joss West and see a shaft or butt spin absolutely perfect. It is a rare thing to see cues today that spins good unless they are expensive. With today's technology I just do not understand crooked wood. And what is this coating that you see on shafts that is as feels like the finish on the butt. How can you play with a cue that does not slide through your hand? I hate gloves but it must be the way of the future.
I have owned dozens of cues over the years and as long as the shaft is straight I am good to go. The shaft to me is an expendable part of the cue anyway and can even be up graded to a better quality shaft without getting a whole new cue. All the new shaft makers like the Predator 314 even recognized there was a business in offering a new better shaft.
just as a side note, I used to have a house cue I carried in my gun rack on my truck to play in bars. It was even subjected to direct sunlight. It never warped or fell apart, go figure.
 
Back
Top