JAYSON SHAW BREAKS 626!

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once all is confirmed we will reach out to the NYTimes, WashPo, SI, and several other outlets.

Lou Figueroa
There is a whole world of professional marketers out there nationwide, specializing in sports.

Bobby and his team should right now be assiduously acquiring a "rolodex" of the ideal professional strategists to handle this. This is where Schmidt fell short. Don't have to make the same mistake -- the opportunity can be seized via a methodical, expertly-advised campaign and a professionally handled promotional process. Immediately get some quotes and pitches and bring the right firm aboard.

Arnaldo

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I don't understand why 526 would record remain anything other than one of the past records?
Why is time held relevant?
Part of the 526's appeal was that it harkened back to a fondly remembered era of pool. Guys played in suits and ran 100s at an elegant game. You saw the comments, in real time, as Jayson was raining 100s, that his patterns weren't as good as the giants of yesteryear as he was beating the high runs of those same players. Because it stood for so long, a myth grew up around 526 that it was so venerated, the game so complicated, it couldn't be done again. The old days *were* better.

Of course it wasn't true, but people felt good believing it. It could have been done in the 70s or 80s, but why? Jayson correctly described it as "torture."

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a whole world of professional marketers out there nationwide, specializing in sports.

Bobby and his team should right now be assiduously acquiring a "rolodex" of the ideal professional strategists to handle this. This is where Schmidt fell short. Don't have to make the same mistake -- the opportunity can be seized via a methodical, expertly-advised campaign and a professionally handled promotional process. Immediately get some quotes and pitches and bring the right firm aboard.

Arnaldo
In the sports 'big picture' how many people outside hard-core pool nuts will care about this? I don't see how any campaign is going to be some big deal. I hope Jayson gets some $$ out of it but i just don't see some big blitz of publicity.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Saint Willie's 526 was on a oversize 8ft with standard of the day pockets. Yet within no time people on here were saying that Shaw's run should have an asterisk. WTF?? Gimme a beak.
Lol - I know right, there's always been an asterisk next to the number!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol - I know right, there's always been an asterisk next to the number!
To Mosconi's? Never seen one next to his 526. That's my point. These exhib. runs are fine but i put more stock in tournament runs. Filler's 209 this year at the Amer. 14.1 on ProCuts is a bigger deal imo. Today's players are stupidly good tho and a huge # on ProCuts would not surprise me.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
To Mosconi's? Never seen one next to his 526. That's my point.
We're on the same page. My point was that from the very beginning, high runs were mired in controversy. Even Willies, having been done on an oversize 8, was talked about being easier or harder due to the table size, plus some stories about balls flying off the table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We're on the same page. My point was that from the very beginning, high runs were mired in controversy. Even Willies, having been done on an oversize 8, was talked about being easier or harder due to the table size, plus some stories about balls flying off the table.
WM's was considered the 'official' high run for years.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It's a great occasion. What a run? It couldn't happen to a nicer guy than Jayson, a consummate professional in our sport.

How much of a roll is Jayson on at present? In December, he was the MVP at the Mosconi. In early January, he was the Turning Stone Classic champion, topping Gorst in the final. In mid-January, he ran 714 balls at straight pool.

Now he's headed for the Derby. The sky is the limit!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's quite a feat, I don't care what pocket sizes are or what table you did it on. Congratulations Champ!
Hypothetically, someone else runs 714 and lays their cue down to quit. Wouldn’t they technically hold the new record at 714, since Jayson scratched while on 714 shooting at 715, which actually made his official run 713? Just saying.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
While some connect the 714 with somebody named Ruth, for others this is the real 714...

CropperCapture[869].png

Too bad the run wasn't on a Friday.

Congratulations Jayson Shaw!