JB Cases / Jack Justis Cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpolkjr

The Legend Of Polk
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone,

I'm in the market for a nice case at this point. I already have a few, but this would be one that I have custom made with amenities that I like. I've read up on several websites and have pretty much narrowed it down to JB Cases and Jack Justis Cases. I've seen a Justis case in person and really liked it. However, the diversity of JB Cases and ability to have virtually anything on the case has really gotten me interested in it.

My question is basically, can you guys give me some insight on these cases from information you know? As in your experience with the cases, their durability, their value, etc. I'm just really a fan of both and can't afford to have both at this time, but want to make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Last edited:

shamadam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
283   0   0
I have 2 JB cases. 1 Flowers Tribute (2 X 4) and 1 Prototype (3 X 6). I've tried
pretty much all of the custom cases. Murnak, Justis etc.....I even had a JB
interior installed into a Justis case. Bottom line, IMO JB cases are the best bang
for your buck by a country mile. Order a custom, and you'll have a ton of styles
and options to choose from. The price will be more than fair, and the delivery will
be faster than most. You wont regret it. Best interiors in the business.:thumbup:

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Justis seems to hold their value more, probably because there are fewer of them around for sale. I own both as well and use my Justis as my daily driver and the JB case is the tournament case bc its a 4x8 and holds a ton of equipment.

DrOnePocket

Banned
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have 2 JB cases. 1 Flowers Tribute (2 X 4) and 1 Prototype (3 X 6). I've tried
pretty much all of the custom cases. Murnak, Justis etc.....I even had a JB
interior installed into a Justis case. Bottom line, IMO JB cases are the best bang
for your buck by a country mile. Order a custom, and you'll have a ton of styles
and options to choose from. The price will be more than fair, and the delivery will
be faster than most. You wont regret it. Best interiors in the business.:thumbup:

What he said!

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
First of all, I hate being the one to say this...I really do, but did you try searching this forum yet? This particular comparison is discussed to great detail many times. I chose JB cases over Justis based soley on this forum alone. And without having to ask. Simply because there is a wealth of information on this topic available on here.

That being said....I never weighed in on my opinion regarding the two. I own both.

Before I decided on a high end case I researched all the major brands, vintage and current. Including Whitten, Murnak, and anything else I could find on here.

Time and time again I returned to John Barton (JB Cases). His personality can be a bit abrasive on this forum at times, but in all honesty it is due to his passion for his own cases and how strongly he stands behind them. This is indeed a great thing.

I own a vintage Jack Justis case as does my brother. These were when the cases were made with individual PVC tubes. The older Jack Justis cases are indeed a beauty to behold. They are not very varied in their appearance, even today, and are generally easily spotted in a crowd. That or a copycat case trying to emulate Justis. To this day his cases look very much like they did twenty years ago. Which is actually a great thing since his look and design is his signature and what most people want in a Justis case. The interiors were terribly lacking. A cheap Porper from the same time period offered a better level of protection. But jack has long since updated his interirors.

John Barton on the other hand has very different styles and looks. He emulates many different style cases, including tributes to great case makers gone by. His construction and style is extremely varied. Probably moreso than any other case maker out there. John is willing to accommodate virtually anything you can dream up. He has done exhaustive work with virtually every single case available today as well as many cases no longer available. If you're looking for a Justis style look, Justis is the way to go. If you want something different, JB is the only way to go.

But there is one defining difference to the two new cases offered by these two case makers. The interiors. With the most sincere and greatest respect, I must say that, after seeing both of these maker's most current offerings, the JB interiors offer a far greater level of protection for you cues. I feel the Barton interiors are simply better. Better padded, better constructed, and a far greater attention given to what will be going inside the case as opposed to just what the case will look like.

There is no way to say these things without someone feeling slighted. And I do not mean any disrespect to Jack Justis whatsoever. If there is one caveat to the differences in these cases I would say that, for collectible and value purposes, Jack's cases will undoubtedly hold their value much better. if only because Jack does not produce anywhere near the quantity that John Barton does. And there is definitely an instant value given to the "Jack Justis" name.

I guess it comes down to practicality versus collectability. If you want a case that will be worth more a few years from now, possibly even as soon as you get it, The Justis would be the way to go. But if you want something that will offer your cues a better level of protection as well as having something very unique (versus getting a trademarked look/style) then JB cases is the way to go.

FWIW, unless you're specifically looking for that "Justis" look, which jack obviously does better than anyone, then you have a far greater variety in Choices dealing with John Barton. I have bought two cases off him in the last few months. You simply can't go wrong.

I know there will be some people to argue the opinions and conclusions I just made. That's okay. You asked for opinions and you got mine. if you search the forum you'll find dozens of others, from both case makers as well.

Soulweb

One-Ball Champ
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Also, this question was probably in the wrong section of the forum as you're not specifically looking to sell or buy something at the moment, just looking for opinions. Might get better responses in another section.

rigmaster

my puppy is on the left!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Jack Justis /Ron Ross tooling is my favorite he will make it with genuine gator,elephant,zebra,python,giraffe etc...Rusty Melton,Cyrex and KING also make some really nice tooled leather cases.I have a couple real Jay Flowers that are GREAT and a couple early Instroke Buffalo made by John Bartons company that are great cases as well! Ron

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
165   0   0
Just want to clear up one major misconception. We don't make that many custom cases and there are far less of our cases put up for sale used than Jack's.

Also the concept of holding value is not quite accurate. As you all can imagine I track the sales of cases fairly closely and there is not any brand that has been holding value if holding value means that the case sells for the original retail price or more.

All one has to do is spend time going back through old for sale posts to see this. Just about every brand loses 20% or more the moment it leaves the maker's shop.

However I want to emphasize something I personally feel is very important to me. I buy things based on how happy I will be with them on a daily use basis and not based on possible future value. So when considering a case maybe there is a quality of life aspect that is important.

I have written a page on this. If you are having trouble sleeping then this will put you out in minutes ......... http://www.jbcases.com/aboutus.html

Thank you for considering us.

XPLAYHARDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Cases

Soulweb could not have said it any better than he did as i have both cases as well but when it comes to the interiors johns (jb) will keep the cue snug in the case. I was out playing one night late and put my tasc in my jb case and left in my car well when i got home i took my case out of the trunk and made my way across the driveway and into the house. Well when i went to set my case down i noticed i had put the strap over my shoulder upside down meaning my case was upside down and i had not zipped up my case when putting my cues away well because of my jb case all my cues stayed in the case instead of boucing around my driveway and if i had any other interior that night i would have been up for some costly repairs.
My two cents strikes again......to all a goodday oops forgot to add that the designs(exteriors) and workmanship are second to none as well

Last edited:

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have seen both cases. I ordered a JB. I can tell you that for a daily use case, my JB is the best I can imagine. I think there is a link to my pics/review in my sig line. Still, this case allows me to sleep at night. I can confidently throw it on my back and walk around knowing that if it were in a terrible accident that my cues would be safe.

Actually, my best cues rode out the worst earthquake in history. . .the Japan quake of 2011 in a JB case. They were unscathed.

I do think a Justis probably would have been fine if the lid didn't pop open, but I know the lid will not pop open on my JB.

JB and I sort of designed it for public transportation carry or throwing on my back and riding my scooter or bicycle to the pool hall.

On the other side of this is customization. Jack makes, or made, . . .not sure which is correct. . .basically one case design. JB makes whatever you want. I have a special pocket for my pool hook, special thin pockets for cue papers, cloths, tip shappers, etc. The regular pockets are extra deep for towels, chalk, bigger tip tools, etc. These pockets are unique to JB cases. . .or they were a year ago.

The only place I think other case makers have a slight edge is there are some amazing leather carvers offering true leather artistry. JB can do this too, but maybe slightly less amazing than the best you see on these pages on occasion. Still look a JB's page. They can still do best quality leather work.

I don't know if my JB case could be sold for the same, less or more than I paid. It will not be sold.

Also, search Cocobolo Cowboy's case. Wow!

Last edited:

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I waited a long time before I bought my first nice case and it was a Justis case. I have always wanted one and wasn't disappointed. Its all on what will make you happy though as JB pointed out. My next case will be a Whitten case since Jack isn't taking orders right now.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
First of all, I hate being the one to say this...I really do, but did you try searching this forum yet? This particular comparison is discussed to great detail many times. I chose JB cases over Justis based soley on this forum alone. And without having to ask. Simply because there is a wealth of information on this topic available on here.

That being said....I never weighed in on my opinion regarding the two. I own both.

Before I decided on a high end case I researched all the major brands, vintage and current. Including Whitten, Murnak, and anything else I could find on here.

Time and time again I returned to John Barton (JB Cases). His personality can be a bit abrasive on this forum at times, but in all honesty it is due to his passion for his own cases and how strongly he stands behind them. This is indeed a great thing.

I own a vintage Jack Justis case as does my brother. These were when the cases were made with individual PVC tubes. The older Jack Justis cases are indeed a beauty to behold. They are not very varied in their appearance, even today, and are generally easily spotted in a crowd. That or a copycat case trying to emulate Justis. To this day his cases look very much like they did twenty years ago. Which is actually a great thing since his look and design is his signature and what most people want in a Justis case. The interiors were terribly lacking. A cheap Porper from the same time period offered a better level of protection. But jack has long since updated his interirors.

John Barton on the other hand has very different styles and looks. He emulates many different style cases, including tributes to great case makers gone by. His construction and style is extremely varied. Probably moreso than any other case maker out there. John is willing to accommodate virtually anything you can dream up. He has done exhaustive work with virtually every single case available today as well as many cases no longer available. If you're looking for a Justis style look, Justis is the way to go. If you want something different, JB is the only way to go.

But there is one defining difference to the two new cases offered by these two case makers. The interiors. With the most sincere and greatest respect, I must say that, after seeing both of these maker's most current offerings, the JB interiors offer a far greater level of protection for you cues. I feel the Barton interiors are simply better. Better padded, better constructed, and a far greater attention given to what will be going inside the case as opposed to just what the case will look like.

There is no way to say these things without someone feeling slighted. And I do not mean any disrespect to Jack Justis whatsoever. If there is one caveat to the differences in these cases I would say that, for collectible and value purposes, Jack's cases will undoubtedly hold their value much better. if only because Jack does not produce anywhere near the quantity that John Barton does. And there is definitely an instant value given to the "Jack Justis" name.

I guess it comes down to practicality versus collectability. If you want a case that will be worth more a few years from now, possibly even as soon as you get it, The Justis would be the way to go. But if you want something that will offer your cues a better level of protection as well as having something very unique (versus getting a trademarked look/style) then JB cases is the way to go.

FWIW, unless you're specifically looking for that "Justis" look, which jack obviously does better than anyone, then you have a far greater variety in Choices dealing with John Barton. I have bought two cases off him in the last few months. You simply can't go wrong.

I know there will be some people to argue the opinions and conclusions I just made. That's okay. You asked for opinions and you got mine. if you search the forum you'll find dozens of others, from both case makers as well.

Couldn't have written better.

When you compare $ for $ you can't find a better deal. As for the part about the case holding value well..i'd prefer the case protects the cues i have and ensure those babies' value don't plummet...

When i buy a cue case i treat it like i'm buying a luggage or nice leather bag, i don't expect it to hold its value i just want it to look good, made well and does what it does which is carry the content well.
Being branded would be a plus and i would say JB is no lesser a brand than Justis. I guess it boils down to the style you like.

Goodluck in your search and do post your eventually purchase. :wink:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a JJ. He is a gentleman to deal with. I would buy from him again. I would buy the same case again. JB's work looks real nice. You would probably be happy with either one. JJ & JB both do nice work. (not much help am I?)

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Jack Justis will make the case of your dreams...or, you could simply choose whatever he has in stock. There is a reason he has made cases for more pros than any other case maker! Check it out: http://www.justiscases.net/gallery1.html Quality is number one! Additionally his cases are made right here in America, not China. If "American Made" means anything to you, you want a Justis case!
You might want to check out a Whitten case too!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
165   0   0
Jack Justis will make the case of your dreams...or, you could simply choose whatever he has in stock. There is a reason he has made cases for more pros than any other case maker! Check it out: http://www.justiscases.net/gallery1.html Quality is number one! Additionally his cases are made right here in America, not China. If "American Made" means anything to you, you want a Justis case!
You might want to check out a Whitten case too!

Randy, you know that Justis interiors are 100% made in China don't you. I fully understand your zeal to put me down. I deserve it for busting your nuts while exposing your ignorance of the billiard business and your seeming willingness to mislead people. But please stick to facts during your promotional spiels.
Also, this is a listing of dream cases Jack would not make www.jbcases.com/casesbyname.html

So if someone's dream case falls outside of what Jack is willing to do then he certainly will NOT build the customer a case of their dreams.

Our range of options is not only cosmetic. We are known for creating custom sizes and cavities to fit the customers needs among other things.

I could fill up 10 pages with the different custom things we have done. In fact I have such a thread and I will post a link to it when I find it.

Lastly, if your tactic is going to be coming into such threads to advertise for Jack then it will backfire because each time you do it you simply give me another opportunity to show the readers what we offer in comparison. Funny thing is that you don't even own a Justis.

But, you did own another case we make, the GTF. And when you were trying to sell it here on Azb you said it is the best case in that style ever made. You didn't have any problem with it being made in China then........

www.jbcases.com

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Consider Dennis Swift if it has to be made in the U.S.A., and you ae on a budget

If "American Made" means anything to you, you want a Justis case!

Also if you are on a budget consider a Dennis Swift Made in the USA in Island, Kentucky, and a DEAL at $300.00 for a 2 x 4, PLUS A LITTLE EXTRA for Postage. Like the Swift below I sold to AZB Member IMMARK:D

Dennis as of late is working way out of Dennis's Old Box, and his FACEBOOK PAGE & PHOTO GALLERY has photo up the WAZOO. Plus Dennis does extras like (Longer, deeper pockets, bottom band, left or right hand carry, etc.) for a reasonable price.:wink:

So like I said if it has to be Made in the U.S.A. like good Brown Whiskey it don't get more U.S.A. then KEN-TUCK-KEY.:wink:

Just an FYI.

Attachments

• Swift.jpg
    Swift.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 576
  • Swift2.jpg
    Swift2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 571
  • Swift4.jpg
    Swift4.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 573
  • Swift5.jpg
    Swift5.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 573
  • Swift8.jpg
    Swift8.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 571
Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
165   0   0
For Randy: Here is the thread I mentioned talking about construction innovations we do that Jack does not. Nothing against Jack but if the customer wants any of these benefits he won't get them from Jack unless Jack changes his policy of only offering cases in very specific arrangements.

State of the Art in Case Making http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=209479

Status
Not open for further replies.