Jeanette Lee

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
It's been a long time since I've been in here. Just saw the news about Jeanette. I only met her once way back in 1999. I'm really sorry to hear this news. I wish her all the best and hope she is one of the miracles that beats this.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that I would rather give money to a charity which genuinely needs it. In this case, if the go fund me was for cancer research or care for people with cancer I would contribute. As an example, on another forum there is a man whose 2 month son had a massive stroke in December due to meningitis. He likely has cerebal palsy and is blind. There is no grant available to him to cover lost earning, adaptations to his house, or any of the medical equipment which needs buying. That is a cause I dug deep for, more than I could really afford. If the same guy had come asking me to part fund his kids through college, he could do one. That is a luxury. If I die my kids are provided for, and I probably haven't earned 10% what JL has. I have critical illness and life cover that would clear the mortgage on the house and leave them with 6 figures each if I died tomorrow. I wouldn't be expecting anyone to set up a go fund me to top that up to cover college tuition
And that's what I'm saying. You're being a total jerk off because you believe some charities are better then others and this was your chance to tell us all that. Bravo. That's great, who asked you to donate a dime to Ms. Lee? Nobody, that's who.

Next time I see someone asking for money on the internet for refugees from RanSackaStan that want help to support their safe passage to Antartica I will jump in the mix and announce, quite proudly I may add, that their charity of choice is NOT for me. And how I believe in only helping folks that I deem vulnerable enough in society to be assisted based on some lofty standards set forth by yours truly. I'm sure the refugees and the folks supporting that charity will be thrilled to death to know they are not deemed worthy enough for assistance.

Do you get it now, even a little ? In other words, nobody cares what charities you like, or where you donate your time and money. You could have just made a "hope you get better" comment and went about your day. Or, you could just have ignored a thread that so deeply offended you delicate feelings, no?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that I would rather give money to a charity which genuinely needs it. In this case, if the go fund me was for cancer research or care for people with cancer I would contribute. As an example, on another forum there is a man whose 2 month son had a massive stroke in December due to meningitis. He likely has cerebal palsy and is blind. There is no grant available to him to cover lost earning, adaptations to his house, or any of the medical equipment which needs buying. That is a cause I dug deep for, more than I could really afford. If the same guy had come asking me to part fund his kids through college, he could do one. That is a luxury. If I die my kids are provided for, and I probably haven't earned 10% what JL has. I have critical illness and life cover that would clear the mortgage on the house and leave them with 6 figures each if I died tomorrow. I wouldn't be expecting anyone to set up a go fund me to top that up to cover college tuition
You are taking a thread about one of the most beloved pool players in the country, who just got a terminal cancer diagnosis, and straight up making it about you. Stop it. Thanks

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let's not get silly about this. I wish JL and her family well, but am sure that the family will be well provided for with or without the go fund me. That was the only point I was making. Let's not insult people who are given a lifeline by charities by calling this cause a charity. Its a request by a mother for her children for something which most people would consider a luxury. It's a common trend on go fund me, and it rubs me up the wrong way, but I should have kept it off this well intentioned thread.
Can the Ping-Pong stop. Offer your fundraisers, accept donations or whatever on NPR. Maybe you will get some givers that appreciate what you are doing. But the conversation here is hitting bottom and still digging.

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can the Ping-Ping stop. Offer your fundraisers, accept donations or whatever on NPR. Maybe you will get some givers that appreciate what you are doing. But conversation here is hitting bottom and still digging.
Well said. There's a place, and a time to air a pet peeve. This thread was the wrong place, wrong time.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I "beat" Jeannette Lee about 10 years ago at the DCC in one game of exhibition 8 ball. Tourney organizers were drawing names of attendees out of a hat to play her a game as part of her show in the lobby. I have always had a phobia of crowds and was literally actively rooting against my name getting called...not that the odds would favor that outcome anyway. Well my name was called and I was a nervous wreck...but she was so gracious and such a talented showman she put me at ease and entertained the crowd of course. My pool buds laugh about this event to this day...I put a soft break on her plus some circus shots and soon enough I was out. Funny...after all these years of playing pool, this was probably the most fun I had. No chance of beating her in a real competition of course, but it was a nice event that I will always remember. My picture with her will soon hang in my newly finished pool room.

I am deeply saddened to hear this news. Ms. Lee has always been a great ambassador of billiards and has represented it and her brand well throughout the years. I genuinely hope she pulls through this. Pool does not need to lose one like her, as she has always been one of billiard's brightest stars. I hope she has the opportunity to shine brightly into the future. Wishing Ms. Lee the best and a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jeanette Lee has been a credit to our sport for a long, long time. She has represented the sport of Pool exceptionally well publicly and in all forms of media. I am donating to her GoFundMe account and wish only the best for her and her family.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Tom is her agent and has been for many, many years. He was affiliated with Octagon Sports Management when they first became agent/client. I've met him a few times, including sitting at his table at the 2013 BCA Hall of Fame dinner in which Jeanette gained induction, He's a quality guy for sure.
For those interested, he was also interviewed on the latest CueItUp podcast, which included a discussion about Jeanette's health. His devotion to Jeanette was readily apparent in that interview and he seems like a genuinely great person. I'd highly recommend listening to it. He gets into the background of pool finances for someone like Jeanette - who is probably unique in this area above almost everyone else, male or female I would think - without getting into specifics.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Jeanette Lee has been a credit to our sport for a long, long time. She has represented the sport of Pool exceptionally well publicly and in all forms of media. I am donating to her GoFundMe account and wish only the best for her and her family.
Good for you. I also gave to the Gofundme. Hopefully, others will follow our lead.

Reactions: JAM

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The doctors are what Jeanette needs right now. Let's not call them liars. Instead, hope for a mighty recovery and a miracle with this disease. This is still the best country for health care. Let's not demean it with this kind of language against doctors.

I agree. As a cancer survivor (a non-smoker) you learn to rely on doctors, physicians assistants and medicine to survive. I was diagnosed with lung cancer early by a PA at a walk in medical clinic I had a bad cough I couldn’t shake. The PA on duty heard something in my right lung that turned out to be cancer. Thank goodness for her acute hearing. After surgery I’ve been on an oral chemotherapy drug for 2 years. Show some respect. I hope her prognosis doesn’t come to fruition. Save your name calling for politicians.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I agree. As a cancer survivor (a non-smoker) you learn to rely on doctors, physicians assistants and medicine to survive. I was diagnosed with lung cancer early by a PA at a walk in medical clinic I had a bad cough I couldn’t shake. The PA on duty heard something in my right lung that turned out to be cancer. Thank goodness for her acute hearing. After surgery I’ve been on an oral chemotherapy drug for 2 years. Show some respect. I hope her prognosis doesn’t come to fruition. Save your name calling for politicians.
Agree. If doctors can pull Jeanette through this, I would call them miracle workers, and nothing else.

All the best,
WW

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If it's not too late, she'll beat it. That's how she rolls. Quite the gal. In the pool room and in general, one would never meet the full person. Allot more than anyone would expect. Bobby Hunter was her first pool love, then George, then life. Her respect for the public, her trade and her time with others was special.

surlytempo

please stop saying she'll "beat" cancer, or that this is a fight she will/can win. cancer sucks,, no matter how strong you are. plenty of strong people have been diagnosed with cancer and died. in short, in the community of cancer survivors, very few like the idea of espousing support around cancer as one of a "battle" suggesting victors and losers because it's seen as an insult to those that have died from cancer.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seeing as how she used the same terminology in her announcement, it may be appropriate in this case, no?

"I intend to bring the same resolve I brought to the billiards table to this fight," Jeanette Lee says of her diagnosis

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There have been many cases of miraculous remissions of Cancer. I would never give up on anyone just because they get this diagnosis. If anyone can beat this it would be Jeanette! She is one of the "strongest" people I've ever met in the Pool world. And I'm not talking about physical strength either.
Jay is right, her mental toughness is second to none. I met her in 93 and she told me she was going to become a pro. She did. Such determination is rare. She’s gifted and has more fright in her than Mike Tyson.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
please stop saying she'll "beat" cancer, or that this is a fight she will/can win. cancer sucks,, no matter how strong you are. plenty of strong people have been diagnosed with cancer and died. in short, in the community of cancer survivors, very few like the idea of espousing support around cancer as one of a "battle" suggesting victors and losers because it's seen as an insult to those that have died from cancer.
Cancer is a scary terrifying word. We lost family members. We know the pain. It never goes away. During the time they were terminal one family member kept her chin up and would say she's goin back to work when she gets through treatment. Face reality but never give up. Never quit. If there is a ray of hope...maybe it will peek through. Sometimes hoping and fighting is all that is left. Sometimes prayers are all that's left . Those on the Hot Seat need them.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Glad you are a survivor. I'm sorry you and some others are taking this wrong. I'm in no way being offensive. This is being misinterpreted. And I see it's easy to do that. To those that take offense to my comments please have someone explain what I wrote. It means prove the Doctors are wrong. It's an offbeat way of saying that. Stress is being brought to where the is none. As for politicians/name calling...I ran out of words.
Back to JL and the GFM.

Last edited: