JJ ball cleaning foul

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2. Someone mentioned in the other thread that Jeremy’s hands were sweating. If you see the video, he got down to shoot, and then with around 12 sec left he got up and asked for the ball to be cleaned. He went over and dried off his hands, and you can see the wet spot on the rail where he had his bridge hand. He was clearly doing it to get a little extension and dry off his hands. Nothing wrong with that, it’s not cheating, it’s just not the rule…
You know, I had forgotten about that. In 2003 at the US Open 90-Ball Championship, Jeremy won it, and in the match for the hotseat, which my other half was playing, Jeremy kept wiping his hands over and over again with the towel. At the time, I thought it was unusual, but then I remember that several people said that his hands sweat horribly when he's in the heat of the battle. It would be kind of hard to hold your cue if your hands are slipping all over it. It is a medical condition that Jeremy suffers from with the sweating of his hands. Now I remember that but had not remembered it last night.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
The ref should have reiterated that the clock doesn't stop before he went to clean the ball.

Even though it's not the rule that he has to say anything, he should have done it as a professional courtesy as a reminder.
Should the ref also remind them not to double hit the cue ball when it is close to the object ball? Should the ref tell them when they don't think a good hit is possible at the angle they are shooting at their object ball that is locked up with the opponents object ball? Should the ref remind the player of the rule that you can't stop a rolling cue ball before that player goes to shoot the final 9 ball in just in case they might do that after they pocket the 9? What other rules and such should players be reminded of when the ref thinks they may break them?
JJ should have known, yes, but it's still b******* if you ask me to end the frame that way after they played so hard.
So whether rules should apply or not all depends on how hard the players are playing?

Seems like you might have let yourself get a little emotional about this and all logic went out the window.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, I had forgotten about that. In 2003 at the US Open 90-Ball Championship, Jeremy won it, and in the match for the hotseat, which my other half was playing, Jeremy kept wiping his hands over and over again with the towel. At the time, I thought it was unusual, but then I remember that several people said that his hands sweat horribly when he's in the heat of the battle. It would be kind of hard to hold your cue if your hands are slipping all over it. It is a medical condition that Jeremy suffers from with the sweating of his hands. Now I remember that but had not remembered it last night.

he used to have talc and a lot of it. i'm the same, used to need talc but now i have a glove. still sweating at pressure moments sometimes, so i really feel for JJ. he made some super shots in that match.

i knew the rule when i watched it unfold so i was mainly surprised JJ didn't. i think he had a mental lapse, and i can identify with that as well.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Shaw got a ball cleaned yesterday and they stopped the clock though?
No. An insect fell on the table and at the same time Shaw motioned with his hand, the ref asked for the clock to be paused. It was an external interruption that is not a normal part of playing a game of pool (depending on where you play I guess 😂).

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a lost opportunity... Recognizing what was going on, all Team Europe had to do was to walk over to JJ and hand him the cue ball. It would have gone down as an epic act of true sportsmanship.
Bettors take a hit on such actions. What would Ma Barker say?

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right after JJ was told by the ref that he made a time foul, he walked to his team and then to the ref table (maybe to verify or something). The camera followed him closely walking out of the arena. Did anyone else think at that point for a brief moment that he was storming out the door and back to his hotel? :LOL:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately (ihmo) JJ failed to use his 30 seconds for the shot wisely. He knew the shot that needs to be done. The pot was not hard but playing position on the next ball bearing in mind where the CB was and circumstances ...well that is another story...
Would he come to the table to visualize "feel" the shot and ask to clean the CB while going to his chair to dry his hands...he could have enough time left once he was back for its execution but to ask cleaning the CB when it was 12 seconds left ... well ...
I guess there is a big difference between knowing how and acting at the table especially in those circumstances.

It was great effort and fight from JJ.
So so sad how it ended because if he won it would be a good example that in these races to 5 everything is possible if you keep fighting and do not blow away your opportunities.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure about this? Show the clip
The event has been referenced more than a few times in threads and it does appear it happened.

I'd be inclined to agree with what others said about it though, that Shaw's stoppage was appropriate, given the unexpected foreign interference that was dealt with...insect on the ball, vs. alleged chalk spot.

Different circumstances, though both had impact on shot clock.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What a lost opportunity... Recognizing what was going on, all Team Europe had to do was to walk over to JJ and hand him the cue ball. It would have gone down as an epic act of true sportsmanship.
Disagree. While I think Alcaide is a douche bag, I don't think this particular circumstance should count against his sportsmanship. JJ screwed up, why should he be rewarded with BIH?

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
By failing to prepare you are prepairing to fail.
With, or without a substitute player available,the general should be prepared for battle, all the small details (rules, etc) and in top form to play, mentally and physically, he had plenty of time to do so.
Maybe he did , maybe he didn't, it sounds like he didn't, who knows, I don't.
If he didn't, , it's like a general going to war without a weapon. If he did, he just had a bad day or two.
It's easy to throw stones at glass houses, hopefully it clicks in, the team gels, and they push forward to victory.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Disagree. While I think Alcaide is a douche bag, I don't think this particular circumstance should count against his sportsmanship. JJ screwed up, why should he be rewarded with BIH?
I've never been an Alcaide fan, but I have to say the respect he showed JJ while finishing out that last rack certainly wasn't something I'd think typical of a douche bag.

PracticeChampion

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of random thoughts:

1. People are saying Jeremy didn’t hear the clock, but he definitely heard it. It’s what started him asking the ref why the clock wasn’t stopped. They were talking about it before the time foul was called.

2. Someone mentioned in the other thread that Jeremy’s hands were sweating. If you see the video, he got down to shoot, and then with around 12 sec left he got up and asked for the ball to be cleaned. He went over and dried off his hands, and you can see the wet spot on the rail where he had his bridge hand. He was clearly doing it to get a little extension and dry off his hands. Nothing wrong with that, it’s not cheating, it’s just not the rule…

3. What is it with people and these conspiracy theories (they were out to get Earl, or Jeremy) or complaints of unfairness (Shaw asked for a bug to be removed from the ball and he got extra time!), not to mention calls to quit and go home, both when Earl got taken out and now with this. WTF is wrong with people that their first instinct is to go to this nonsense. It sucks, he made a mistake, it happens, that’s it. No reason to come up with BS to try to defend it.
Conspiracy theories in billiards! Why not, when you have nothing else to bring to the table or contribute. Have you followed politics and FOX news lately?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've never been an Alcaide fan, but I have to say the respect he showed JJ while finishing out that last rack certainly wasn't something I'd think typical of a douche bag.
I agree. He was fine in all of this. I've seen enough of him over the years to believe that he is a douche bag. Only my opinion.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No negative repurcussion, only positive.

And I don't think EU should have returned the inning. There's a phrase we use in legal matters: tough titties.