John Schmidt says CTE works after all.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait for it... Figueroa will be along any minute claiming Schmidty's buddy only gets it to work because John told him to clean the balls after every rack.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,776

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's hope this is the start of "friendlier" aiming system discussions.. Well done John..

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Let's hope this is the start of "friendlier" aiming system discussions.. Well done John..

Good to "hope" but more wishful thinking than reality.

They'll all be back in full force within due time and the right opportunity. The question is which one will be first and when will it occur.

Luckily the primary antagonist is in a state of BAN. I hope he never comes back but my "hope" is just too good to be true.

Jal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait for it... Figueroa will be along any minute claiming Schmidty's buddy only gets it to work...
Well, I certainly hope the CTE advocates will never accept the word of someone who hasn't actually worked with the system! - that being their main argument against the critics.

Notice also that Mr. Schmidt and his friend have said nothing that the critics, for the most part, haven't acknowledged.

Jim

oldmanatc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to apologize that I dont know who John is. I just dont see the significance of his changing viewpoint. Maybe if he had explained that Brian had taught him to properly use the system and he was able to make it work, there might be something other than another personal testimony that could truely add to the conversation.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to apologize that I dont know who John is. I just dont see the significance of his changing viewpoint. Maybe if he had explained that Brian had taught him to properly use the system and he was able to make it work, there might be something other than another personal testimony that could truely add to the conversation.

John Schmidt has won the US Open. He also ran over 400 balls in straight pool.

He made some comments in a TAR podcast that were negative toward aiming systems.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

John Schmidt is known as Mr. 400, because he has an above 400 ball high run in straight pool. He has also won the US open 9 ball and World Straight pool championship, he is a well rounded pro pool player. He was interviewed with Corey Deuel in the TAR studio, in which he stated that aiming systems were not really used by most pros and that he considered them to be a bit of a joke (he didn't flat out say that, but he implied it). There was also a comment about Stevie Moore where he stated that he was so good, you could put a bag over his head and he'd still run out (I leave it to you conclude what he tries to imply with that).

I'm not surprised that people are going to use his "apology" for all that it's worth, but in reality, it isn't worth much. All he says is that a friend he trusts says it works. That's hardly an endorsement. John Schmidt is known as possibly the best shotmaker in the US. If he'd started using CTE (visibly) then that would really be something. Second hand endorsements..not so impressive.

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt is known as Mr. 400, because he has an above 400 ball high run in straight pool. He has also won the US open 9 ball and World Straight pool championship, he is a well rounded pro pool player. He was interviewed with Corey Deuel in the TAR studio, in which he stated that aiming systems were not really used by most pros and that he considered them to be a bit of a joke (he didn't flat out say that, but he implied it). There was also a comment about Stevie Moore where he stated that he was so good, you could put a bag over his head and he'd still run out (I leave it to you conclude what he tries to imply with that).

I'm not surprised that people are going to use his "apology" for all that it's worth, but in reality, it isn't worth much. All he says is that a friend he trusts says it works. That's hardly an endorsement. John Schmidt is known as possibly the best shotmaker in the US. If he'd started using CTE (visibly) then that would really be something. Second hand endorsements..not so impressive.

John and I (I'm the friend in his post) had a good discussion over CTE and aiming systems. I was able to communicate to him how it works without trying to force it down his throat. I also explained that since I started using CTE it has helped me to "miss less". We both agreed that simply making balls won't turn someone into world class player overnight. There are too many other things involved in pool that contribute to playing at a high level.

We discussed the possibility of why top pro's may not use CTE or other methods. He also came to the realization that all ways of aiming are "systems".

I don't know if John will move to CTE or not. That will be his choice and if he does he certainly should learn it from someone who knows it much better than me. Personally, I told him, "you shoot so straight now I don't know if it will really help".

John is a great guy, good friend and one hell of a pool player. To aknowledge that he was wrong and post it for the public to see says a lot. As I said in a prior post, lets hope that this is the start of good, civil discussion on aiming methods..

Cheers

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
John and I (I'm the friend in his post) had a good discussion over CTE and aiming systems. I was able to communicate to him how it works without trying to force it down his throat. I also explained that since I started using CTE it has helped me to "miss less". We both agreed that simply making balls won't turn someone into world class player overnight. There are too many other things involved in pool that contribute to playing at a high level.

We discussed the possibility of why top pro's may not use CTE or other methods. He also came to the realization that all ways of aiming are "systems".

I don't know if John will move to CTE or not. That will be his choice and if he does he certainly should learn it from someone who knows it much better than me. Personally, I told him, "you shoot so straight now I don't know if it will really help".

John is a great guy, good friend and one hell of a pool player. To aknowledge that he was wrong and post it for the public to see says a lot. As I said in a prior post, lets hope that this is the start of good, civil discussion on aiming methods..

Cheers

I am not one that is against aiming methods. I very quickly went from ghost ball to equal & opposite fractional over lap & have used & still sometimes do use the shadows method & I use TOI with CTC, CTE, & C to the 1/4 line.

That said...

Do you understand that there is no sufficient 'system' that does not require one's subjective analysis, interpretations, & final decisions as to the actual final shot line?

Otherwise the 'system' would need 75 to 90 indicators & even then it would still involve the shooter to subjectively make the decision as to which one would be applicable to any given shot.

Hence there really is no real system, but merely a method of implementing one's own individual subjectively TIME learned pictures or 'perceptions' of the shots at hand.

If one wants to call one's own subjectively time learned pictures or 'perceptions' their 'visual intelligence', then that's fine, but we should be clear as to exactly what that 'visual intelligence' actually & truly is.

Would you agree?

If not, then we will just have to disagree & that's fine.

Best Wishes for You & Yours.

Last edited:

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not one that is against aiming methods. I very quickly went from ghost ball to equal & opposite fractional over lap & have used & still sometimes do use the shadows method & I use TOI with CTC, CTE, & C to the 1/4 line.

That said...

Do you understand that there is no sufficient 'system' that does not require one's subjective analysis, interpretations, & final decisions as to the actual final shot line?

Otherwise the 'system' would need 75 to 90 indicators & even then it would still involve the shooter to subjectively make the decision as to which one would be applicable to any given shot.

Hence there really is no real system, but merely a method of implementing one's own individual subjectively TIME learned pictures or 'perceptions' of the shots at hand.

If one wants to call one's own subjectively learned pictures or 'perceptions' their 'visual intelligence', then that's fine, but we should be clear as to exactly what that 'visual intelligence' actually & truly is.

Would you agree?

If not, then we will just have to disagree & that's fine.

Best Wishes to You & Yours.

Pretty sure we agree.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

Cheers

You seem like a level headed guy, and it can't hurt your pool playing to be friends with such a great player and have his input:smile:. Anyhow, if John Schmidt feels he was wrong, then kudos to him for admitting it. It certainly is not a worthless apology in that respect, but there is a history on the forum of people going bananas with this sort of thing.. Supposed endorsements, pros "using systems without knowing it" etc..Like you, I long for a civilized and rational discussion of aiming and aiming related topics. This time it seems like the shit storm is not going to happen, which is a welcome change, so maybe the forum has become better after all.

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking forward to seeing JS use it and demonstrating it.

Not sure you can expect that to happen. He does acknowledge that the system works however. Which is a long ways from where he was last week. Never say never.

I for one just hope we can have "grown up" discussions in regards to aiming..

Cheers

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Not sure you can expect that to happen. He does acknowledge that the system works however. Which is a long ways from where he was last week. Never say never.

I for one just hope we can have "grown up" discussions in regards to aiming..

Cheers

But here is where matters can get started down the toilet bowl.

Your words the "the system works".

Did you not just a few short posts ago say that you were pretty sure we were in agreement?

Well I basically said that there really is no sufficient 'system' but merely methods to implement one's subjective interpretations, analysis, & decisions.

If "the system works", How does it work? What is there in the 'system" that tells the shooter where the final cue line is for each individual shot?

Why & how does "the system work"?

I hope you can see how loose lips sink ships, so to speak. Language is all that we have & certain language can be very suggestive.

Also did John take an extensive good look at it or did he just allow you to convince him that the method has benefited you... so therefore "the system works"?

Ghost ball works. Is it a system? Or is it a method?

I hope you can see & understand my points.

Best Wishes.

Last edited: