John Schmidt's 626

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
After the first couple of 200+ runs on Diamond tables (4 1/2 " pockets) at DCC Straight Pool challenges, I seem to remember someone commenting that 200 on a Diamond is roughly equivalent to running 300 or more on a Gold Crown with 5" pockets."

Does that ratio sound about right? I'm thinking it's hard to accurately quantify or even estimate something like that.

Arnaldo
If you had a lot of data, like as much data as was gathered during all of JS's attempts, you could figure it out. The main data items based on stuff I've mentioned before are: % of break shots missed, % of second shots (just after the break) missed, and % of all other shots missed. You do need a lot of data, though, like 100 or more misses in each of the first two categories.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Exactly how tall a step-ladder do you need to get off that horse? ...
Pat, evidently your horse is not high enough to let Lou see what you're saying. You may want to transition to a high elephant. Looks more comfortable, perhaps even with in-door plumbing. :thumbup::thumbup: This discussion may take a while.

CropperCapture[165].jpg

Bob <-- In Switzerland they eat horses, don't they?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Careful about trying to see eye to eye.

Attachments

• received_2107411196170774.jpeg
    received_2107411196170774.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 140

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
All these circus looking animals go perfectly with the circus table Schmidt used to run balls on.

Really? I bet that the table JS broke the record on was closer to the specs of the table that Mosconi set his record on than it is to a Diamond table.

_______

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Silver Member
Really? I bet that the table JS broke the record on was closer to the specs of the table that Mosconi set his record on than it is to a Diamond table.

_______

I’ll take that bet. How much you wanna bet? 5k? 10k? 50k?

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Or even close. But they have the next best thing: a public forum on which they can try to trash anybody else's success - apparently without realizing the damage they're doing to their own images in the process.

pj
chgo

Agreed. Quite sad actually. Many pros don't want anything to do with the forum because of people who have been rude and inappropriate. Our loss really.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. Quite sad actually. Many pros don't want anything to do with the forum because of people who have been rude and inappropriate. Our loss really.

That argument always cracks me up.

Pool players, who are used to all kinds of woofing and sharking, come to AZ and suddenly turn into little delicate snowflakes, lol.

Lou Figueroa

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That argument always cracks me up.

Pool players, who are used to all kinds of woofing and sharking, come to AZ and suddenly turn into little delicate snowflakes, lol.

Lou Figueroa

Actually, this is really a interesting point.

Spend hundreds, thousands of hours in a pool room playing pool.

Sometimes up all night, possibly several times up over 24 hours grinding it out.

Some travel all around the country, playing new people in unfamiliar conditions on a daily basis.

Gambling with the last dollars in your pocket,,, sometimes playing for money you don't have and you HAVE to win.

In spite of all these tough conditions, some "Pros" (I'm not even sure there is such a thing as a Pro Pool Player) come into the AZ cage fight and apparently this is where the gloves come off and they can't tough it out- so they tap out, never to come back to these parts.

I respect anyone's opinion on whether to play in here or not,,, but the idea these conditions are too tough for a "Pro" pool player is kinda funny.

xradarx

Any day now!
Silver Member
Pro's (missing)

News flash.....(NOBODYhereGIVESaSHIT!)
AZBILLIARDS.COM:
Costs nothing!
Come as you please!
Go as you please!
A Word of Caution;
It's Captivating!
Whether you sign in or lurk as a guest.
Your choice.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, this is really a interesting point.

Spend hundreds, thousands of hours in a pool room playing pool.

Sometimes up all night, possibly several times up over 24 hours grinding it out.

Some travel all around the country, playing new people in unfamiliar conditions on a daily basis.

Gambling with the last dollars in your pocket,,, sometimes playing for money you don't have and you HAVE to win.

In spite of all these tough conditions, some "Pros" (I'm not even sure there is such a thing as a Pro Pool Player) come into the AZ cage fight and apparently this is where the gloves come off and they can't tough it out- so they tap out, never to come back to these parts.

I respect anyone's opinion on whether to play in here or not,,, but the idea these conditions are too tough for a "Pro" pool player is kinda funny.

Well, the issue is that being able to logically express yourself is a more important skill *here* than actually being able to run pool balls.

So you have guys who are tremendous at playing pool but maybe not so good at writing a coherent sentence and engaging in a civil debate, coming here and not having the skills to dominate as they would on a pool table.

Things go off the rails for many pros because they don't have the appropriate skill for talking about pool on an open forum. Additionally, there is the fact that though some of us only play the game at an amateur level, many bring a wealth of experience, knowledge, and success from other fields of endeavor and subsequently to whatever they have to say. Of course, some guys are just talented writers and can articulate their position on anything quite well.

Lastly, everyone here has an ego and there is little kowtowing to pro players. Though we do have a few fanboys here, most folks are not shy when it comes to coming up with their own ideas, questioning the position of others, and displaying a decent level of critical thinking. All of that creates an environment that is not necessarily very favorable to someone whose education and experience has often been limited to playing pool.

Lou Figueroa

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Well, the issue is that being able to logically express yourself is a more important skill *here* than actually being able to run pool balls.

So you have guys who are tremendous at playing pool but maybe not so good at writing a coherent sentence and engaging in a civil debate, coming here and not having the skills to dominate as they would on a pool table.

Things go off the rails for many pros because they don't have the appropriate skill for talking about pool on an open forum. Additionally, there is the fact that though some of us only play the game at an amateur level, many bring a wealth of experience, knowledge, and success from other fields of endeavor and subsequently to whatever they have to say. Of course, some guys are just talented writers and can articulate their position on anything quite well.

Lastly, everyone here has an ego and there is little kowtowing to pro players. Though we do have a few fanboys here, most folks are not shy when it comes to coming up with their own ideas, questioning the position of others, and displaying a decent level of critical thinking. All of that creates an environment that is not necessarily very favorable to someone whose education and experience has often been limited to playing pool.

Lou Figueroa
Tap tap. When you're right, you're right.

I think their skill at making odds probably tells them they have more to lose than win here.

pj
chgo

logical

Part of the Conspiracy
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
I heard you have a decent game...so did somebody write that for you?...or you the elusive double threat?

Just to be clear, I'm complimenting..and possibly even agreeing with...your post.

Sent from the future.

iusedtoberich

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think for the pros leaving AZ, a few factors came into play:

1) Many were trying to sell something, and that was all they were doing. No regular chatting with the forum except hit and run sell posts. When they didn't get a favorable response, they left. Others were trying to sell aiming systems. Well I don't need to say any more about that.

2) 15 years ago there were several on here. As FB launched and grew bigger, most moved to that platform. I think it helps build their "pro brand" much better than AZB. That is due to technology reasons in the way the platforms work. So a pro today trying to build the best visibility to increase their brand should go to FB and Youtube, IMO. Also on FB or youtube if things get out of hand, you can just delete the whole post. Here you can't.

3) I do think the pool knowledge on this forum is far and above higher than what is on youtube comments and FB posts. I think the pros want everyone to agree with them. That's what the fans do on FB and youtube, the fans look up to them and build their egos. Here, the pros were treated as one of the regular members, without special egos. And if a pro was ever disagreed with, he ran away. On youtube no one disagrees with them.

This has been my recollection over the past 15 years on here.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
spot

What it amounts to is the same people that complain about having to give a spot in a pool hall expect to get a "spot" here!

Hu

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard you have a decent game...so did somebody write that for you?...or you the elusive double threat?

Just to be clear, I'm complimenting..and possibly even agreeing with...your post.

Sent from the future.

lol.

No really, I did.

Lou Figueroa
and thanks