John Schmidt's 626

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Now being someone who plays 14.1 and keeps up with the History and follows the rules that respect the game here are a few things that stand out.
why wouldnt Cranfields multiple runs over 700 on a 9ft. table be the all time record. They didnt use video back then and from everybody i talked to that knew Cranfield said he was the most honest person they ever knew and even had the nickname honest Babe to some.
The BCA guys who decided to call it a record were new and it was just a who knows who at that point and they dont even know how to platu pool. It should have been done differently.
There are to many things that was happening to be questioned.
760 Simonis? who uses this felt. It is faster and slicker and makes for the pockets be at least 10 % easier when hitting balls down a rail to go in.
Heaters under the table to heat the slate to make the table play faster? who does this except for 3 cushion Billiard tables.
No one inspected the table or was allowed to inspect it. Why not allow this and for breaking such a record the BCA guys and actually John should have had multiple experts fly in to do so I know i would have and now since the table has been recovered the extra things to make the table easier are no longer available to inspect.
No original video ever released to the public and never available to any experts to make sure of any alterations.
Removal of the balls to run through a ball polisher many times after a run has started.
Cleaning and vacuuming of the felt many times after a run has started.
a special rack that racks the balls exactly the same way everytime which helps spred the balls more open after the break shots.
Starting a run several hours before the poolroom even opened in which the people who signed off on the run did not see it completely and count the racks completed and the other people who signed off are partial.
Exactly 100 balls over Mosconis run for a number to pick to make it sound more amazing to stand out
the date was on 5-26 another set of wierd numbers
Many more things that can be added to this false claim its all fake news.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are all valid points and it would be nice to do apples to apples comparisons, but without standards, who is to say what conditions are required?

You've been around pool long enough to know it doesn't plan for or even think about tomorrow.

Now being someone who plays 14.1 and keeps up with the History and follows the rules that respect the game here are a few things that stand out.
why wouldnt Cranfields multiple runs over 700 on a 9ft. table be the all time record. They didnt use video back then and from everybody i talked to that knew Cranfield said he was the most honest person they ever knew and even had the nickname honest Babe to some.
The BCA guys who decided to call it a record were new and it was just a who knows who at that point and they dont even know how to platu pool. It should have been done differently.
There are to many things that was happening to be questioned.
760 Simonis? who uses this felt. It is faster and slicker and makes for the pockets be at least 10 easier when hitting balls down a rail to go in.
Heaters under the table to heat the slate to make the table play faster? who does this except for 3 cushion Billiard tables.
No one inspected the table or was allowed to inspect it. Why not allow this and for breaking such a record the BCA guys and actually John should have had multiple experts fly in to do so I know i would have and now since the table has been recovered the extra things to make the table easier are no longer available to inspect.
No original video ever released to the public and never available to any experts to make sure of any alterations.
Removal of the balls to run through a ball polisher many times after a run has started.
Cleaning and vacuuming of the felt many times after a run has started.
a special rack that racks the balls exactly the same way everytime which helps spred the balls more open after the break shots.
Starting a run several hours before the poolroom even opened in which the people who signed off on the run did not see it completely and count the racks completed and the other people who signed off are partial.
Exactly 100 balls over Mosconis run for a number to pick to make it sound more amazing to stand out
the date was on 5-26 another set of wierd numbers
Many more things that can be added to this false claim its all fake news.

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
Guinness Book of World Records in yr 2050......Billiards Category - High Run Straight Pool: John Schmidt 626 (*).

* Wasn't approved by Lou Figueroa and Danny Harriman.

lol....NOT

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...snip...
760 Simonis? who uses this felt. It is faster and slicker and makes for the pockets be at least 10 easier when hitting balls down a rail to go in.
...snip...

For this single point: Drexeline Billiards in PA, owned by pro player Bob Maidoff with a high run in the 300's, the whole room prefers 760, and its had it for over 25 years. The room tried 860 a couple times, and all the players hated it. The main games in the room are one hole, straight pool, and 9 ball. Its a player's room for sure.

<=== Spent all my late teens and all 20's in this room.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guinness Book of World Records in yr 2050......Billiards Category - High Run Straight Pool: John Schmidt 626 (*).

* Wasn't approved by Lou Figueroa and Danny Harriman.

lol....NOT

Pretty silly, because it has nothing to do with me -- JS's run did not meet the criteria set by Guinness for a world record.

They are very specific about what you have to do for a record to count. So his "record" ain't gonna be in the Guinness book today nor 30 years from now or *ever.*

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... set by Guinness for a world record. ...
Geeze, Lou. Guinness sets up fake records to amuse drunks. Seems like a pretty low standard to go by. All I have to do is learn to balance a cue on my nose for a 100-meter dash and I can get into the fine "Record Book" as well.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geeze, Lou. Guinness sets up fake records to amuse drunks. Seems like a pretty low standard to go by. All I have to do is learn to balance a cue on my nose for a 100-meter dash and I can get into the fine "Record Book" as well.

Geez, Bob, talk to DTL who was the guy who brought Guinness up in the first place.

But I'll tell you what: that run would be far more credible if it was certified by Guinness instead of the BCA.

Lou Figueroa
just sayin'

bb9ball

Registered
wrldpro;6764221 ... John should have had multiple experts fly in to do so I know i would have ...[/QUOTE said:
Did you pay for experts to fly in to inspect the table for the world record you claim in your profile?

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
Pretty silly, because it has nothing to do with me -- JS's run did not meet the criteria set by Guinness for a world record.

They are very specific about what you have to do for a record to count. So his "record" ain't gonna be in the Guinness book today nor 30 years from now or *ever.*

Lou Figueroa

I think you missed my point.

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, dang it! I'm heading downstairs right now to rip off that easy, ball-making cloth. SON-OF-A.....

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody in the pool world will know who Lou Figueroa is in 30 years. Not so for JS.

Like I said: you had no valid point.

And, so what if JS lives on with a big fat asterisk next to his "record" that folks wonder about because 30 years from now THERE'S STLL NO UNEDITED VIDEO OUT?

ah hem.

In any case, eventually I may finish my book and then, just maybe, in some small sense, I'll will live on. How 'bout you, Popeye?

Lou Figueroa

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
Like I said: you had no valid point.

And, so what if JS lives on with a big fat asterisk next to his "record" that folks wonder about because 30 years from now THERE'S STLL NO UNEDITED VIDEO OUT?

ah hem.

In any case, eventually I may finish my book and then, just maybe, in some small sense, I'll will live on. How 'bout you, Popeye?

Lou Figueroa

Says you.......the word magician. I don't think you really care. You just like to argue and hear (read) yourself talk. GL with the book, chair force flyboy.

get used to it.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Says you.......the word magician. I don't think you really care. You just like to argue and hear (read) yourself talk. GL with the book, chair force flyboy.

get used to it.

No

Unedited

Video

Lou Figueroa
get used to that lol

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
No

Unedited

Video

Lou Figueroa
get used to that lol

lets hope you never view it.........we'd have to put you on suicide watch. lol.

You've assigned yourself the negative side of this debate and NOTHING will ever change your mind......so it would be pointless.

Jewett's word is good for me.

Goodbye on this one.