John Schmidt's 626

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That argument always cracks me up.

Pool players, who are used to all kinds of woofing and sharking, come to AZ and suddenly turn into little delicate snowflakes, lol.

Lou Figueroa

Actually, this is really a interesting point.

Spend hundreds, thousands of hours in a pool room playing pool.

Sometimes up all night, possibly several times up over 24 hours grinding it out.

Some travel all around the country, playing new people in unfamiliar conditions on a daily basis.

Gambling with the last dollars in your pocket,,, sometimes playing for money you don't have and you HAVE to win.

In spite of all these tough conditions, some "Pros" (I'm not even sure there is such a thing as a Pro Pool Player) come into the AZ cage fight and apparently this is where the gloves come off and they can't tough it out- so they tap out, never to come back to these parts.

I respect anyone's opinion on whether to play in here or not,,, but the idea these conditions are too tough for a "Pro" pool player is kinda funny.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, this is really a interesting point.

Spend hundreds, thousands of hours in a pool room playing pool.

Sometimes up all night, possibly several times up over 24 hours grinding it out.

Some travel all around the country, playing new people in unfamiliar conditions on a daily basis.

Gambling with the last dollars in your pocket,,, sometimes playing for money you don't have and you HAVE to win.

In spite of all these tough conditions, some "Pros" (I'm not even sure there is such a thing as a Pro Pool Player) come into the AZ cage fight and apparently this is where the gloves come off and they can't tough it out- so they tap out, never to come back to these parts.

I respect anyone's opinion on whether to play in here or not,,, but the idea these conditions are too tough for a "Pro" pool player is kinda funny.

Well, the issue is that being able to logically express yourself is a more important skill *here* than actually being able to run pool balls.

So you have guys who are tremendous at playing pool but maybe not so good at writing a coherent sentence and engaging in a civil debate, coming here and not having the skills to dominate as they would on a pool table.

Things go off the rails for many pros because they don't have the appropriate skill for talking about pool on an open forum. Additionally, there is the fact that though some of us only play the game at an amateur level, many bring a wealth of experience, knowledge, and success from other fields of endeavor and subsequently to whatever they have to say. Of course, some guys are just talented writers and can articulate their position on anything quite well.

Lastly, everyone here has an ego and there is little kowtowing to pro players. Though we do have a few fanboys here, most folks are not shy when it comes to coming up with their own ideas, questioning the position of others, and displaying a decent level of critical thinking. All of that creates an environment that is not necessarily very favorable to someone whose education and experience has often been limited to playing pool.

Lou Figueroa

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Well, the issue is that being able to logically express yourself is a more important skill *here* than actually being able to run pool balls.

So you have guys who are tremendous at playing pool but maybe not so good at writing a coherent sentence and engaging in a civil debate, coming here and not having the skills to dominate as they would on a pool table.

Things go off the rails for many pros because they don't have the appropriate skill for talking about pool on an open forum. Additionally, there is the fact that though some of us only play the game at an amateur level, many bring a wealth of experience, knowledge, and success from other fields of endeavor and subsequently to whatever they have to say. Of course, some guys are just talented writers and can articulate their position on anything quite well.

Lastly, everyone here has an ego and there is little kowtowing to pro players. Though we do have a few fanboys here, most folks are not shy when it comes to coming up with their own ideas, questioning the position of others, and displaying a decent level of critical thinking. All of that creates an environment that is not necessarily very favorable to someone whose education and experience has often been limited to playing pool.

Lou Figueroa
Tap tap. When you're right, you're right.

I think their skill at making odds probably tells them they have more to lose than win here.

pj
chgo

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
I heard you have a decent game...so did somebody write that for you?...or you the elusive double threat?

Just to be clear, I'm complimenting..and possibly even agreeing with...your post.

Sent from the future.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think for the pros leaving AZ, a few factors came into play:

1) Many were trying to sell something, and that was all they were doing. No regular chatting with the forum except hit and run sell posts. When they didn't get a favorable response, they left. Others were trying to sell aiming systems. Well I don't need to say any more about that.

2) 15 years ago there were several on here. As FB launched and grew bigger, most moved to that platform. I think it helps build their "pro brand" much better than AZB. That is due to technology reasons in the way the platforms work. So a pro today trying to build the best visibility to increase their brand should go to FB and Youtube, IMO. Also on FB or youtube if things get out of hand, you can just delete the whole post. Here you can't.

3) I do think the pool knowledge on this forum is far and above higher than what is on youtube comments and FB posts. I think the pros want everyone to agree with them. That's what the fans do on FB and youtube, the fans look up to them and build their egos. Here, the pros were treated as one of the regular members, without special egos. And if a pro was ever disagreed with, he ran away. On youtube no one disagrees with them.

This has been my recollection over the past 15 years on here.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
spot

What it amounts to is the same people that complain about having to give a spot in a pool hall expect to get a "spot" here!

Hu

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard you have a decent game...so did somebody write that for you?...or you the elusive double threat?

Just to be clear, I'm complimenting..and possibly even agreeing with...your post.

Sent from the future.

lol.

No really, I did.

Lou Figueroa
and thanks

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think for the pros leaving AZ, a few factors came into play:

1) Many were trying to sell something, and that was all they were doing. No regular chatting with the forum except hit and run sell posts. When they didn't get a favorable response, they left. Others were trying to sell aiming systems. Well I don't need to say any more about that.

2) 15 years ago there were several on here. As FB launched and grew bigger, most moved to that platform. I think it helps build their "pro brand" much better than AZB. That is due to technology reasons in the way the platforms work. So a pro today trying to build the best visibility to increase their brand should go to FB and Youtube, IMO. Also on FB or youtube if things get out of hand, you can just delete the whole post. Here you can't.

3) I do think the pool knowledge on this forum is far and above higher than what is on youtube comments and FB posts. I think the pros want everyone to agree with them. That's what the fans do on FB and youtube, the fans look up to them and build their egos. Here, the pros were treated as one of the regular members, without special egos. And if a pro was ever disagreed with, he ran away. On youtube no one disagrees with them.

This has been my recollection over the past 15 years on here.

I would agree with most of this.

But some guys will alway kvetch about pros being chased off AZ when nothing could be further from the truth.

Lou Figueroa

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I would agree with most of this.

But some guys will alway kvetch about pros being chased off AZ when nothing could be further from the truth.

Lou Figueroa

To be fair, there are people on this (and most forums) that live to stir the $hit. Trolls. And some pro's tired easily of that foolishness. (Just like many non-pro's) Most people who stay on a forum any amount of time understand that's part of the deal. Many of the pro's had little-to-no computer/internet experience, so dealing with that wasn't anything they signed up for, so's to speak.

Some posted in a way that encouraged it. Fair game, at that point.

In the Facebook environment, they can control the trolling. For better or worse.

Last edited:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
All these circus looking animals go perfectly with the circus table Schmidt used to run balls on.

Your attitude is why professional pool will never have any sponsors. You should be embarrassed of yourself.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I’ll take that bet. How much you wanna bet? 5k? 10k? 50k?

Let me get this right. You're saying that the table JS used to set the record was a gaff table set up to be super easy, and you also think that the specs are closer to a tough playing Diamond table than the one Mosconi played on? Yeah right. Now you're just outright contradicting yourself.

_______

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me get this right. You're saying that the table JS used to set the record was a gaff table set up to be super easy, and you also think that the specs are closer to a tough playing Diamond table than the one Mosconi played on? Yeah right. Now you're just outright contradicting yourself.

_______

I noticed that too.

Outrage can be cause myopia .

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

_______

Comparison with how easy the tables played is largely unimportant to me. I just want to see the video showing someone breaking that many racks and still ending up with a makable shot!
I mean, when the CB rolls behind & freezes to a ball near the rail, what the hell CAN you do? If you end up trapped against a cushion and thus can’t even kick at anything near a pocket (unless you are lucky enough that the angle of the ball you are frozen to allows being thrown or banked), you are SCREWED. When you hit the pack hard enough to spread the balls, you really can’t avoid that kind of leave. Absolute control of whitey on the break shot means you are constantly picking off strays and only breaking out a few at a time, which CAN be frustrating. Hit the pack hard finally, and an OB is bound to eventually roll on top of the CB.
J.S. has to be the luckiest man alive.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member

_______

That’s not what I meant. The table John played on and every table he has ever set out to run high runs on has been far from non standard. Every table has been altered. How about just set up a new factory specs table and a brand new set of balls and start running balls without any changes like shaved slate at the pockets,760 Simonis, heaters under the slate, vacuuming and cleaning the felt constantly after a run has started and polishing the balls once a run has started. The soft pocket facings, short cut cushions to make the pockets bigger are non standard also.
If any of you don’t think the table specs make a difference than why has John been playing on Diamonds for 20+ years and never broke 300 not once. But he has 8 million runs over 300 in circus tables. Also all the 14.1 challenges at Derby City and the SBE many great players struggle to put up large high runs..
Now try to stay on track now with what I wrote hear.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
That’s not what I meant. The table John played on and every table he has ever set out to run high runs on has been far from non standard. Every table has been altered. How about just set up a new factory specs table and a brand new set of balls and start running balls without any changes like shaved slate at the pockets,760 Simonis, heaters under the slate, vacuuming and cleaning the felt constantly after a run has started and polishing the balls once a run has started. The soft pocket facings, short cut cushions to make the pockets bigger are non standard also.
If any of you don’t think the table specs make a difference than why has John been playing on Diamonds for 20+ years and never broke 300 not once. But he has 8 million runs over 300 in circus tables. Also all the 14.1 challenges at Derby City and the SBE many great players struggle to put up large high runs..
Now try to stay on track now with what I wrote hear.

Since there is a large contingent here who insists on educated pool people to verify that JS actually did this feat, and apparently Bob Jewett isn't considered to be "expert" enough...could we also expect that some equivalent sort of expert testimony be presented verifying these "circus tables"? Beyond your say-so, I mean...

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since there is a large contingent here who insists on educated pool people to verify that JS actually did this feat, and apparently Bob Jewett isn't considered to be "expert" enough...could we also expect that some equivalent sort of expert testimony be presented verifying these "circus tables"? Beyond your say-so, I mean...

As long as the onion is getting peeled, let's go all the way.

I'd be interested in this information as well.

There is an old Army saying: If the enemy is in range, so are you.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Several posters here have been identified along with Mark Griffin, CSI and the 14.1 BACPL Challenge, 2011, 2012 and 2013 as offering $5K-$10K, along with CSI offering $10K for anyone who could equal or exceed the Mosconi hi-run of 526 balls in an exhibition, during their own hi-run contests. Many of them didn't seem to care how, when, nor where it happened, just beat, equal or exceed the 526 number of balls. Some did, however place some restrictions to get the monetary award.

The 526 number wasn't exceeded in the immediately following years, so the offers were eventually withdrawn for lack of opportunity.

Many of them, however closely associated with the eventual player who claims to have bested the 526, still seem to have some skin in the claim.

Therefore, doubters have no faith in them/their supporting the accomplishment.

There can only be one!

The claimant must provide unedited proof of the claim. Everyday just increases the doubts.

There, now, more than the peel will need to be taken off that ONION!

If suddenly you, your alter ego and Bobby were both/all three convinced via video it happened, it would merely shift your obcession back to pocket size or energy drinks. JS owes you no proof, he isn't claiming to have won the Danny Harriman Invitational, he's claiming a BCA record.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Last edited: