John Schmidt's and Corey Deuel's comments on aiming systems

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Rightful Selfishness

I have come to believe that projecting can serve a positive purpose.
It's the way we can continue to evaluate our deepest character traits
through our perception of other people. In other words, if I see someone
as selfish, it's a sign to look into that trait in myself.....and face the Truth
that we all have selfishness and the only cure is to practice unselfishness (generosity)
- this is just an example of course, there's much more that I won't get into at this time.

To coin Shakespeare: "To thine ownself be true."

I don't see it as testament to be completely self centered, if anything I tend to be a little too accommodating so while I age I am learning to say "no" a little quicker and being a little truer to myself. I just like anyone else has at least one thing that I can't get past very well and it surrounds respect. We are all people and we have faults sometimes that we cant get around but at least we can know ourselves and be at peace with it. Therefore we are at least truer to ourselves, hopefully while practicing a little thankfulness, generosity and charity towards mankind.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
what we see in others represents a part of ourselves.

To coin Shakespeare: "To thine ownself be true."

I don't see it as testament to be completely self centered, if anything I tend to be a little too accommodating so while I age I am learning to say "no" a little quicker and being a little truer to myself. I just like anyone else has at least one thing that I can't get past very well and it surrounds respect. We are all people and we have faults sometimes that we cant get around but at least we can know ourselves and be at peace with it. Therefore we are at least truer to ourselves, hopefully while practicing a little thankfulness, generosity and charity towards mankind.

We are all part of the whole, and what we see in others represents a part of ourselves.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
What an alarming thought

We are all part of the whole, and what we see in others represents a part of ourselves.

That's a pretty alarming thought, considering some of the personalities I know. I would hope to try and be better than some of the examples people set.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I'm referring to the unconscious level.

We are in the world, however the world is also in us.

Hi CJ,

I'm glad to see a post from you. I thought maybe the nits had finally run you off.

How have you been?

AZB has been super slow with almost no real pool playing content. I hope you are ready to throw out some more food for thought.

Best Wishes & Stay & Shoot Well,
Rick

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi CJ,

I'm glad to see a post from you. I thought maybe the nits had finally run you off.

How have you been?

AZB has been super slow with almost no real pool playing content. I hope you are ready to throw out some more food for thought.

Best Wishes & Stay & Shoot Well,
Rick

It slowed down when you stopped posting.

Be well

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I understood

I'm referring to the unconscious level.

We are in the world, however the world is also in us.

I understood what you said actually. I just shudder to think of some of the things I've seen recently as a part of my personality make up so while I understand what you said, I may have to reject the notion to let some of what I see going on around me residence inside my own head. Knowing there is evil is a whole lot different than knowing evil. Sometimes an obsession is an evil in itself and it can cloud ones judgment.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
At a recent TAR podcast, two US Open champions expressed some interesting viewpoints about aiming. The podcast link can be found at
and the comments on aiming systems goes from 24:15 - 29:15 .

BTW, John Schmidt just won the Predator World 14.1 tournament so perhaps that lends some additional credibility to his comments about aiming systems.

--------------------------------------

Shown below is a partial transcript provided by Lou Figueroa of what John and Corey said, leaving out the occasional comments on LD shafts and Corey’s describing how he teaches:

John Schmidt: Well, don’t get me started on aiming systems. I’ll tell you if...​
Maybe they work... but nobody’s telling me the one’s that work. Because if they work, first of all you’re not factoring in swerve and deflection. OK, now what if a guy comes up with a delivery system, that’s different. But, aiming’s adorable -- but you still have to deliver -- so you could aim perfect. If those aiming systems worked, well there would just be like four million people who played like Corey. But it’s year after year and it’s still Corey.​
So these aiming systems are overrated, they’re a way to sell videos and books and make people pontificate about their own greatness and believe me if it worked, then they’d be out there winning tournaments, but they’re not.​
What Stevie Moore doesn’t get is -- Stevie Moore -- you could put a bag over his head and he’d run out. He’s a great player. So he’s playing great in spite of his aiming system, not because of it. I mean, think about it: he’s already a great player. He could aim at the wall and he’s still going to make the ball. And it’s a way to give him comfort and confidence. He’s kind of like tricked himself into thinking ‘this aiming system works.’​
(John sets up to demonstrate a shot.) I just can’t see how I’m going to use english here and I’m going to aim bottom right english. So I’m aiming out here -- it’s going to squirt. Well, what aiming system is going to work for that?! It’s only going to work with center ball. And you know, all these guys with their aiming systems can get like weight from me. And I don’t use an aiming system.​
Corey Duel: Yeah the one that he’s talking about I haven’t been able to comprehend it yet. It’s something about pivoting the back foot and... I don’t know.​
John Schmidt: My piece of advice, if anybody cares to the viewers at home: forget all the aiming systems. Just like when you throw a baseball to first, you just do it. Right? There’s no aiming, you do it, you feel it. It’s same with pool. You get a mental picture and you do it. Aiming systems are the most ridiculous, overrated thing...The pros scoff at that stuff, they’re like, ‘aiming systems, really?!’...​
If they would quit spending so much time on line and learning about aiming systems and go hit more balls they’d become better players. There’s no short cut to it. Sitting on AZ Billiards looking for aiming systems isn’t going to get it. It’s like the golf swing guys. They got a thousand videos. But the guy that goes to the driving range till his hands bleed, that’s the good golfer. You can’t watch it online and go, ‘oh, there’s got to be a system for hitting a four iron two hundred yards on the green.’ It’s the same with pool. We’ve hit a million pool balls -- that’s our system. I mean, you’re not going to get good at anything using a system.​
I could be wrong, I don’t know if I’m right. I just think aiming systems are crazy. Deflection and swerve is what makes this game so tough. If there was no such thing as that, you know you just hit whatever english, but this thing goes sideways off of your stick. That’s why the game’s so impossible.​
Really ?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
When pro pool players give their opinions on aiming systems, it's typically just as meaningless as movie stars giving their opinions on politics.😆

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
When pro pool players give their opinions on aiming systems, it's typically just as meaningless as movie stars giving their opinions on politics.😆
Why? I can't agree with this because they do represent the highest levels of skill in our sport. I don't consider their opinions meaningless but I think they are often misinformed and biased for the same reasons other people are.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Why? I can't agree with this because they do represent the highest levels of skill in our sport. I don't consider their opinions meaningless but I think they are often misinformed and biased for the same reasons other people are.

That's why, in bold. That's why their opinions on aiming systems are basically meaningless. We are all biased to some extent.

Pro players are good because they've done the same thing over and over and over again. Aiming becomes nothing. Whatever aiming method a pro first learned with is of course what they are going to say works, because they are the proof.

But the reality of it is this: Pro players (before they became pros) used a certain method to aim, over and over again, conciously training their mind to aim pool shots. And after they became consistent with it, the conscious mind handed that task over to subconscious memory. That's how all complicated hand-eye-coordinated skills are learned and processed. A good aiming system can be a much more efficient way of getting the same end result, but most pros did not have systems. They simply beat in countless hours no different than other pros have done for 100 years. But things will change. We understand more today about the mind and how we learn and develop skills, and that knowledge will catch up with pool in due time.

Until then, general opinions made by pros about aiming systems can be considered meaningless if they have no knowledge or experience of the aiming systems they're talking about. They worked hard, no shortcuts, and most believe that's the only way to do it. They believe it because that's how they did it. But that alone doesn't make it true.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Not really. Technically, John is a ghost ball aimer as he showed, " you have to the aim the ball here " .
And most of these pros have heard all different systems .
And as Corey said, " I couldn't get it " . So, it's a waste of time for him.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Not really. Technically, John is a ghost ball aimer as he showed, " you have to the aim the ball here " .

I understand, but my point was that when a pro says something about aiming systems, in general (lumping all of them into one pile), it doesn't mean much at all. It simply means they learned the old school way, the process of hard work and hitting a million balls to learn how to do it, and there's no way they're going to be very accepting of any shortcuts in that process. So their opinion tends to be too biased....not all of them, but some of them, if not most.

For me, the opinions that matter most come from aspiring players who are out there using different systems to find what works best for them, not from a pros who have heard of certain systems but have never used one, other than ghostball.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I understand, but my point was that when a pro says something about aiming systems, in general (lumping all of them into one pile), it doesn't mean much at all. It simply means they learned the old school way, the process of hard work and hitting a million balls to learn how to do it, and there's no way they're going to be very accepting of any shortcuts in that process. So their opinion tends to be too biased....not all of them, but some of them, if not most.

For me, the opinions that matter most come from aspiring players who are out there using different systems to find what works best for them, not from a pros who have heard of certain systems but have never used one, other than ghostball.

Except the guy that called me from Florida about 10 yrs ago, who had 3 aiming techniques laying on his kitchen table who told me I had no idea
what I was talking about and when I asked him had he tried it my way, then he said no.

That guy's opinion I think I will pass on but I agree 100%.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They know what they do to make shots and get shape but can't articulate it or refuse to.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John must have exceptional spatial comprehension to aim the ball at a spot he sees that isn't there for others.

Corey knows what he does works and doesn't need to pollute his mind.