Joshua Filler. Damn!

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I hate how he beats up on the USA but I LOVE his game! Fast and loose!
There's been a lot of talk over the years about how to "save / bring back" pool.
If it was back on TV, with shot clocks and his style of play, I believe it would draw viewers big time.
His comeback against Ruiz was awesome!
I'd put Shane, and Shaw in there too of course, but Filler............damn!
Earl must love him!😉

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
He played an impressive game against Ruiz. No doubts there. I rarely watch Pool but this week I've watched
quite a bit of it. I'll be watching a lot more going forward.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's scary is I don't think Joshua Filler has even reached his peak yet, and he's winning back-to-back international competitions. There's no question his work integrity of practice, practice, practice has gotten him to where he's at today. It will be fun to watch him reach his full potential. He just might end up the Ronnie O'Sullivan of pool, and we can all say we knew him when . . .

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
What's scary is I don't think Joshua Filler has even reached his peak yet, and he's winning back-to-back international competitions. There's no question his work integrity of practice, practice, practice has gotten him to where he's at today. It will be fun to watch him reach his full potential. He just might end up the Ronnie O'Sullivan of pool, and we can all say we knew him when . . .
I heard Keith say he likes his game on the recent podcast. 👍

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard Keith say he likes his game on the recent podcast. 👍
Yes, he does like his game a lot. Joshua shoots with confidence and is a rhythm shooter, as is Keith. I know Keith misses competing, but it's time to let the New Guard enter the arena and shine.

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rest of the world has taken over pool, once dominated by the players here in the US. I think it is a good thing because, of all the new tournament venues, promoters bringing in a influx of money from sponsors and a copious amount of fans. The top ranked 50 players are all from over seas with the exception of Shane Van Boening followed by a couple of other Americans. Joshua Filler could well be the player to help propel pocket billiards into the Olympics. He is winning a tremendous amount of tournaments, gaining a large following of a fan base and benefiting from being in the social media age (as well as pocket billiards in general). The next few years, I think will bare some fruit from his success and the success of pocket billiards.

Note: I know a lot of American players can compete with players from around the world. However, most of them do not have the means or sponsorship to travel to these events and then compete at a high level. IMO, Europe and Asia overall have treated professional pocket billiards like they have with any other sport in their perspective countries and we are now starting to see the benefits of it.

Thanks for reading.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Unfortunately, Fedor Gorst is banned from playing these big tournaments atm because he's Russian. He is Filler's only true competition imo. Gorst and Filler are going to be the two most dominant players of the next 10-15 years, you can bank on it.😎

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
A few more years of what we're seeing from Josh now and I'll call Filler the greatest player of all time. Up to age 24, he's had the best resume of any player in history by a country mile and his resume is probably already top five of all time.

He has nearly won every Matchroom event ever contested at least once. He has won the World Pool Championship, the Matchroom US Open, the World Pool Masters, the World Cup of Pool and the UK Open, but at the PLP, he has only won a silver. He has won gold at the China Open, silver at the World 10-ball, gold at the Bigfoot 10-ball at Derby City, gold at the Bigfoot 10-ball at the International and two silver medals at the Derby City 9-ball. He has won several Eurotour titles and has been the Mosconi Cup MVP. He has been both European Straight Pool Champion and European 9-ball Champion and he won the American 14.1 Championship. Somehow, he has done all of this by age 24. One must wonder whether any young player will ever go on such a run of excellence in pro pool ever again. I'm guessing not.

I watched the final of the UK Open sitting next to Albin Ouschan and I commented "it looks like Filler will make it three in a row." I was referring to the fact that Josh had won the Eurotour Treviso Open and the World Pool Masters, as well, leading up to the UK Open. Albin had to correct me, sort of, saying Filler had not only won three in a row including the UK Open, but that he'd gone undefeated in all three events, stringing 22 straight match wins (by Albin's count). Simply inconceivable!

Of course, there are many players out there that can test Josh to the max, and every one of them will beat him from time to time. We all wait the return of Fedor Gorst who, like Filler, has the potential to be a legendary superstar, but no other player in the world can mass produce medals in pool the way Josh Filler does.

There are those that don't like Josh, but I hope they won't let those feelings diminish their opinion of his accomplishments. Enjoy the show, for it is quite possible we are watching the player that will be remembered as the greatest ever. As a fan, I view it as an honor to get to watch his career up close and I wish him continued success.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Francisco Sanchez Ruiz….I think he hits the ball too hard….he’s got room for improvement.….
…..and he’s at Fargo 823 …..I’m keeping an eye on him…expect great things.
I think he's already a bona fide superstar. He has a huge break and doesn't miss very often. He has won his last two matches against Shane (at Derby City and the UK Open) and he split his last two finals against Filler (winning at Derby City but losing at the UK Open).

FSR has been on a roll for nearly a year now and he is a threat to win just about anything.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Unfortunately, Fedor Gorst is banned from playing these big tournaments atm because he's Russian. He is Filler's only true competition imo. Gorst and Filler are going to be the two most dominant players of the next 10-15 years, you can bank on it.😎
Sure wish Gorst could return to the big stage...I tend to agree with you. This is why I'm happy for Shane that he got the world championship monkey off his back. In sports, the younger eat their elders...

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
A few more years of what we're seeing from Josh now and I'll call Filler the greatest player of all time. Up to age 24, he's had the best resume of any player in history by a country mile and his resume is probably already top five of all time.
He is already the greatest of all time. He is not yet the most accomplished of all time, which is what you are talking about, but that is something completely different.

Greatest of all time is about skill. If there is or ever was anybody that could have said "how can you be the greatest of all time when you can't beat me" then you are not the greatest of all time, regardless of your titles, period. You continually confuse greatest of all time with "most accomplished of all time" or "most dominant of their era" and they just aren't the same things.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
He is already the greatest of all time. He is not yet the most accomplished of all time, which is what you are talking about, but that is something completely different.

If there is or ever was anybody that could have said "how can you be the greatest of all time when you can't beat me" then you are not the greatest of all time, regardless of your titles, period. You continually confuse greatest of all time with "most accomplished of all time" or "most dominant of their era" and they just aren't the same things.
That's certainly a reasonable point, and yes, I'm using accomplishments as the measure when I look for the G.O.A.T.
I suspect Filler will become just that.