Judd Trump to play U.S. Open.................

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like Corey commented on FB

1630521107626.png

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m curious as to what diameter shaft / tip he chooses to use?

We have a snooker player here who uses his snooker cue for pool. He claims it has virtually no deflection, but the bigger issue I would think is accurately predicting the amount of throw on the object ball, which is completely different using 2-1/4” heavier pool balls as opposed to 2-1/16” lighter snooker balls.
Steve Davis played a mean game of pool using his snooker cue and this was at the tail end of his snooker career. Judd T. is still in his prime!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh wow! I think he will definitely win a few matches for sure. As a pinnacle talent in the snookers world, the skills are obviously there. It will be more of a pattern recognition challenge for him. I wonder who is sponsoring him to play in the US Open?

trump has a truckload of sponsors - burger king, a car leasing company, various chinese companies

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Steve Davis played a mean game of pool using his snooker cue and this was at the tail end of his snooker career. Judd T. is still in his prime!
Steve Davis moved to a bigger tip...somewhere between 11 and 12 mm.
which isn’t bad...Spanish Mike played with 11.5.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the last snooker player to cross over was Ronnie O in the IPT in 2005/6. I think he came in about top 1/3rd of the field? This is from memory he might have done worse.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I, for one, think that the inclusion of Judd Trump is great. Whether he can succeed at pool is to be determined, but it can't be ruled out. Ronnie O'Sullivan didn't fare well at the IPT, but Mark Gray had a much easier time when he tried his hand at pool, and quickly made Europe's Mosconi Cup team.

Wishing Judd the best of luck, but I'll be shocked if he gets to Stage 2.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read the Judd article linked here, and at the bottom when it lists the sponsors, it says Diamond tables will be used. I thought it was Predator tables from recent news articles. Am I remembering wrong? Is the text I read wrong?

Geosnookery

I’m curious as to what diameter shaft / tip he chooses to use?

We have a snooker player here who uses his snooker cue for pool. He claims it has virtually no deflection, but the bigger issue I would think is accurately predicting the amount of throw on the object ball, which is completely different using 2-1/4” heavier pool balls as opposed to 2-1/16” lighter snooker balls.
I’ve always played American pool with my Snooker cue. No particular reason other than it’s what I’m used to.

Not sure about Trump. His great strength is accuracy but accuracy isn’t an issue on an American table. He tends to get flustered so might get off his game not being able to make a ball on the break. Also, his table judgement isn’t up to be level of a Higgins or Robertson and he tends to need technical skill to dominate the table…not sure that will work out against top pool players.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read the Judd article linked here, and at the bottom when it lists the sponsors, it says Diamond tables will be used. I thought it was Predator tables from recent news articles. Am I remembering wrong? Is the text I read wrong?

On Matchroom's site, they list both Predator and Diamond as sponsors. So maybe Predator balls and Diamond tables?