"Juiced/Trick" Cue Ball or Extraterrestial Stroke

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Years ago, I went to a pool exhibition put on by a well known player/trick shot artist. At some point, this cat began to shoot incredible draw shots during which the cue ball would dramatically change direction several times.

After 5 to 10 of these shots, the performer would look at the audience as if to ask, "Now how about them apples, buckos?", but he never let on, and no one ever asked. What a showman to have me still thinking about him and his show after some 40 to 50 years. (I actually saw this guy put on his show three times over a 6 to 7 year period -- always the same great show. I'd go see him again tomorrow.)

At the time, I could not conceive of a mortal man having a stroke that could produce such an effect, so I attributed it to a "juiced" or "trick" cue ball. But, this cat performed such other amazing feats, I have never been certain. Now, many years later, I am still wondering.

Any ideas? Comments? If its the ball, where does one buy one or how does one make one? If not the ball, then what?

Anyone ever see this guy?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Years ago, I went to a pool exhibition put on by a well known player/trick shot artist. At some point, this cat began to shoot incredible draw shots during which the cue ball would dramatically change direction several times.

After 5 to 10 of these shots, the performer would look at the audience as if to ask, "Now how about them apples, buckos?", but he never let on, and no one ever asked. What a showman to have me still thinking about him and his show after some 40 to 50 years. (I actually saw this guy put on his show three times over a 6 to 7 year period -- always the same great show. I'd go see him again tomorrow.)

At the time, I could not conceive of a mortal man having a stroke that could produce such an effect, so I attributed it to a "juiced" or "trick" cue ball. But, this cat performed such other amazing feats, I have never been certain. Now, many years later, I am still wondering.

Any ideas? Comments? If its the ball, where does one buy one or how does one make one? If not the ball, then what?

I think most trick shot artists use "juiced" cue balls (polished with silicone or wax). For draw you could also use a light CB.

pj
chgo

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
weighted cue ball or sticky one?

If I understand you correctly it would seem it had to be a weighted cue ball or possibly patches of something on the surface of the cue ball since nobody else ever got to handle it.

Changing directions multiple times in the same shot is still quite a trick! Only saw one trick shot show and in it two of the best strutted their stuff but I don't remember such a feat as you describe. It would leave me scratching my head too!

I wonder what a patch or two of rosin would do with a fast spinning cue ball?

Did the cue ball change direction to perform a trick or just change direction erratically?

I don't know how he did it but something on the surface of the cue ball seems like the most likely answer.

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A cue ball with a lot of draw on slippery conditions keeps accelerating for a long time and I think sometimes that looks like multiple separate bursts because we aren't used to seeing the cue ball do that.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Not doing a trick, but, like, demonstrating a powerful and dynamic draw. He would lay into the rock with a big, powerful stroke (he was a big man) and after contacting the object ball, the cue ball roared backward, accelerating, for a foot or two and then cut hard left or right, and then, depending on how much he had gotten on it, make additional cuts. It was all very impressive -- both powerful and fluid -- think "Dynaflow".

Bob, you are on the right track with "acceleration" because that was definitely part of it, but there were also definite changes in direction -- zigs and zags, not curves.

The first time I saw him was on campus. A good friend of mine caught the first, or afternoon, show, and then excitedly called me: "Biloxi, you got to go see this guy, You won't believe what he makes the cue ball do." To date, I am still trying to understand what I saw.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob, you are on the right track with "acceleration" because that was definitely part of it, but there were also definite changes in direction -- zigs and zags, not curves.

If the cue ball is bouncing from the power, the movement will be hops and the path between the touchdowns will be straight lines (through the air) with sharp turns at the touchdowns. There are some videos where you can see this and it is easy to see in Virtual Pool.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Was around 2000 at the US Open One Pocket in Kalamazoo I saw Mike Massey doing a show and at one point he invited Larry Nevel to hit a power shot that I think was like a three cushion draw shot. On the side lines Mike was rubbing the CB down something fierce with a towel.

Lou Figueroa

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do -- Jack White.
Jack White could really make that CB dance!!! To my knowledge, Jack White NEVER used any kind of silacone or anything else...he just had an amazing stroke! Jack always claimed that he only hit one tip of english on those crazy draw shots. As his protege' I got to spend a lot of time with him. Once, I positioned my camera immediately behind, with a close up on the CB. He was striking the CB at the very outside edges (something I already knew, but had to prove to him). Like a lot of top players (especially in his day) Jack could do some amazing stuff...showing it was easy, explaining it was another animal. Jack has been gone now for a few years, but his memory lives on forever!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
I saw Jack White at least 3 times. Most amazing stroke. What Mike Massey and Larry Nevel do with muscle, Jack did with finesse. He explains
his stroke in his book.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think most trick shot artists use "juiced" cue balls (polished with silicone or wax). For draw you could also use a light CB.

pj
chgo

Most of us do not use Silicone for shots. If silicone is used, its mainly for masse shots. Silicone is not allowed in competition either.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are a few examples of what you can do with a weighted CB:

Enjoy,
Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most of us do not use Silicone for shots. If silicone is used, its mainly for masse shots. Silicone is not allowed in competition either.
I'm sure that is true for competitions, but many trick shot shooters in exhibitions playing on worn cloth have resorted to silicone, including Semih Sayginer, Roberto Rojas, and I think Mike Massey.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure that is true for competitions, but many trick shot shooters in exhibitions playing on worn cloth have resorted to silicone, including Semih Sayginer, Roberto Rojas, and I think Mike Massey.

Not really. Semih and Roberto do artistic billiards where the use of silicone is more prevalent. Some of those shots don't work unless silicone is applied. I have never seen Mike use silicone. I know he will clean the cue ball. Florian might have cue balls that he brings that have silicone on them, but thats mainly for a few crazy masse shots. Everything else he does is dry. Silicone is usually for crazy tough spin and masse shots which are normally not done in live exhibitions. Those are more for video where you can miss it as many times. You pick the shots that you can make regularly for exhibitions. Don't want to do a trick shot show and miss everything. lol