Jump RODS

heater451

Registered
Something that pops into my head every so often, is how jump cues are allowed now, but aluminum jump "rods" were banned in the past. I suppose it is simply that jumping itself became more prevalent, but is that the case, or were rods really that much easier to use?

I also recall seeing a picture on the internet of one, but maybe as long as over two decades. Does anyone happen to have a picture of one, or actually own one currently?

Note: I tried searching here, but nothing returned for "rod", and including "jump" has enough threads to outweigh several years worth of the Encyclopædia Britannica. I think the last time I saw something about them, it was on one of the iterations of the Pool Digest forum (RIP).

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something that pops into my head every so often, is how jump cues are allowed now, but aluminum jump "rods" were banned in the past. I suppose it is simply that jumping itself became more prevalent, but is that the case, or were rods really that much easier to use?

I also recall seeing a picture on the internet of one, but maybe as long as over two decades. Does anyone happen to have a picture of one, or actually own one currently?

Note: I tried searching here, but nothing returned for "rod", and including "jump" has enough threads to outweigh several years worth of the Encyclopædia Britannica. I think the last time I saw something about them, it was on one of the iterations of the Pool Digest forum (RIP).
I know what your talking about and they got banned because the tip was huge lol it wasn’t a cue at All. They then set standards of what a jump cue could be. I remember them well. You’re not crazy. It was a short lived thing though.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I know what your talking about and they got banned because the tip was huge lol it wasn’t a cue at All. They then set standards of what a jump cue could be. I remember them well. You’re not crazy. It was a short lived thing though.
So an aluminum jump rod would be acceptable as long as tip diameter, length, and weight met the current rules??
I have an aluminum cue from the 70's, maybe I can have a conversion made. :)

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

17. CUE STICKS​

Cue Sticks used at WPA competitions should comply with the following
during play at table:

Length of Cue: 40 inches [1.016 m] minimum / No Maximum
Weight of Cue: No minimum / 25 oz. [708.75 gm] maximum
Width of Tip: No minimum / 14mm maximum
The cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the addressed ball. The cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather or other fibrous or pliable material that extends the natural line of the shaft end of the cue and contacts the cue ball when the shot is executed..
The ferrule of the cue stick, if of a metal material, may not be more than 1 inch [2.54 cm] in length.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Owned a wooden shorty rod with a hard plastic tip in the late 90’s.

Lou Figueroa

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never had one of those, but they were super popular in the 90's. From what I recall, they were WAY easier to use than the jump cues we have now, for jumping over a close ball.

I believe the jump cue minimum length rule of 40" came into effect specifically to ban these rods.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen a jump rod in decades. The few around here were just a 14-18 inch bar of aluminum or stainless with a cue tip on one end. Nothing else. They jumped great but could cause confrontations. Anyone playing me always asked permission before using one. I didn't care, like the early days of jump cues they benefitted me more than they benefitted the person using them.

Hu

heater451

Registered
I haven't seen a jump rod in decades. The few around here were just a 14-18 inch bar of aluminum or stainless with a cue tip on one end. Nothing else. They jumped great but could cause confrontations. Anyone playing me always asked permission before using one. I didn't care, like the early days of jump cues they benefitted me more than they benefitted the person using them.

Hu
I never realized that they were that short! Did the ones you remember look store-bought, or homemade?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never realized that they were that short! Did the ones you remember look store-bought, or homemade?

All I saw were homemade/shopmade. Even without NC I could turn out hundreds in an hour. They had no wrap, no handle, no ferrule, obviously no joint that short. I suspect they originally came from scrap around a shop. Take a half inch to nine-sixteenth usually stainless bar for the ones I have seen. Face one end square and glue a tip on it. Never saw it but you could square both ends as they usually were and glue a tip on both ends. If something happened to a tip, just flip the rod over.

These things were almost nothing. If there was a market you could have made a killing selling them for twenty bucks apiece. Maybe a dollar or two worth of metal back then, and a twenty cent tip. Not even much labor, put a stop on a lathe and cut the rods very fast, A little acetone or similar to clean one end, glue a tip on. Next!

Hu

Flakeandrun

All I saw were homemade/shopmade. Even without NC I could turn out hundreds in an hour. They had no wrap, no handle, no ferrule, obviously no joint that short. I suspect they originally came from scrap around a shop. Take a half inch to nine-sixteenth usually stainless bar for the ones I have seen. Face one end square and glue a tip on it. Never saw it but you could square both ends as they usually were and glue a tip on both ends. If something happened to a tip, just flip the rod over.

These things were almost nothing. If there was a market you could have made a killing selling them for twenty bucks apiece. Maybe a dollar or two worth of metal back then, and a twenty cent tip. Not even much labor, put a stop on a lathe and cut the rods very fast, A little acetone or similar to clean one end, glue a tip on. Next!

Hu
probably the real reason they were forbidden, cutting into someone else's dollars lol

17. CUE STICKS​

Cue Sticks used at WPA competitions should comply with the following
during play at table:

Length of Cue: 40 inches [1.016 m] minimum / No Maximum
Weight of Cue: No minimum / 25 oz. [708.75 gm] maximum
Width of Tip: No minimum / 14mm maximum
The cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the addressed ball. The cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather or other fibrous or pliable material that extends the natural line of the shaft end of the cue and contacts the cue ball when the shot is executed..
The ferrule of the cue stick, if of a metal material, may not be more than 1 inch [2.54 cm] in length.
Excuse my ignorance if this has been clarified somewhere already but where do phenolic tips come in with this rule?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu
The tip was like the size of a quarter if not larger from what I remember lol I never had one

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Excuse my ignorance if this has been clarified somewhere already but where do phenolic tips come in with this rule?
The cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the addressed ball. Brian.