Jumping a ball in 14.1

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even tho you almost never see it , jumping a ball in straight pool is legal. Im curious as to what your views are on that subject..In the 43 years Ive been playing this game Ive only seen 1 person jump a ball and that was Earl against Lasiter. If Im not mistaken, his response was "Is that even legal?"

What are your thoughts. Im fine with full cue jumps, but I feel jump cues should not be allowed

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Jumps with a full cue are fine, though they are quite rare. Use of a jump cue is generally disallowed, and should be disallowed!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Jumps with a full cue are fine, though they are quite rare. Use of a jump cue is generally disallowed, and should be disallowed!

I totally agree !!!

in my 14.1 league, I do not allow Jump Cues to be used.

i think that Jump Cues take away from the Art Of The Safety in 14.1

-Steve

liakos

Banned
I think jumping should(if it isn't) allowed! But only with the playing cue!

I've done half ball jumps to get out of trouble but I'm pretty sure it always got me right back in trouble and usually much worse than I was;)

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree, I saw someone use a jump cue on a shot once, sometime back in the early '90s I believe.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there's a ball hanging in the pocket I can think of several reasons a jump would be the best option.

Yea, if you were snookered on a ball with a cluster that did not lend itself to any kind of combo, I could see you jumping. Now that I think about I could see a number of times you could use a jump.

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't think of a circumstance you would jump?

Actually many advanced players regularly jump on certain break shots.
Last ball close to the rack, CB on too straight an angle, hop the CB into
the middle of the pack.

Dale

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I can't think of a circumstance you would jump?

Believe me it comes up a lot more than you would think.

-Steve

jumping full cue is allowed though !!

and i agree sometimes you would want the CB to hop into the pack on a real straight breakshot. and it works real well, i have used it myself a few times.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to jump into the middle of the stack to pocket that dead one that can't be made any other way :)

On a more serious note, I'm sort of indifferent about jump cues. To me it's just another skill to have, and I don't have much problem with liking them or disliking them.