keilwood for suckers

middleofnowhere

Registered
Prather are very reputable not scam artists. We need players to use the shafts and see what they say. Guys with cue shops can get some blanks and give them a try. I'm inclined to.

Last edited:

terpdad

Registered
I have a keilwood shaft, not this model. I like it & it does deflect less than a standard maple shaft. I also have a couple CFs, a 314-3, and a very nice traditional maple shaft.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Prather are very reputable not scam artists. We need players to use the shafts and see what they say. Guys with cue shops can get some blanks and give them a try. I'm inclined to.

Nice post, Prather deserves the good words you posted, they are in the Hall of Fame for Cuemakers.

I have done many of these shafts that came from Prather thru my customers and I have NEVER heard a complaint.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
ask yourself............ am I getting all my "scientific" information about CF and Keilwood shafts from the entrepreneurs the sell them............ or have I done a qualitative analysis to get the information myself????........ hahahahaha..............

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t speak for shaft wood but roasted maple necks on guitars does provide a tonal difference.

I switched my two main guitars over to roasted maple necks. Way more resonate, much more stable and stays in tune better… and generally just feels better as you move around the neck.

How that translates to cues I don’t know but I imagine a roasted maple neck isn’t light years different than the wood being discussed here.

middleofnowhere

Registered
ask yourself............ am I getting all my "scientific" information about CF and Keilwood shafts from the entrepreneurs the sell them............ or have I done a qualitative analysis to get the information myself????........ hahahahaha..............
Well, I don't think the jury is still out on CF shafts. They've been around for a while and an awful lot of players swear by them.

As far as light weight shafts go, it has been long known many players prefer them so that is nothing new either. If the primary feature of the keilwood shaft is a consistent light weight then there you have it.

As far as the mention of the sound, it probably has to be addressed. Can you imagine a player hitting with the shaft for the first time. They are going to think something is wrong with the shaft.

In fact in the pool room I can imagine someone coming over and saying asking what is the deal with the sound.

I use really hard tips I can imagine what mine would sound like. My shafts already ring and sound like miss-cues on most shots.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I use really hard tips I can imagine what mine would sound like. My shafts already ring and sound like miss-cues on most shots.
The word you're looking for to describe that sound is beautiful. :) Kielwood also sound really good with hard tips. Like those wooden xylophones you played in music class as a kid.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of us have seen any proof you've done any analysis... Just spouting unsubstantiated opinion. I would like to see this analysis you're talkin about. And you never even said anything about ever playing with one.. . Or even know anybody that plays with one. So yes, I am calling bullshit.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with probably 50 different shafts, tried 3 or 4 different OB Phoenix shafts, they have a bit of a different hit than normal maple shafts and they have a similar hit feel to some of the spliced shafts. One thing I do like about them regardless of the deflection or any market speak, they look better on many cues than either the all black CF shaft or the maple shafts, and they have the hit feel and deflect more than good enough to be used as a main player.

The wood basically acts like a stabilized version of something like spaleted maple that you add other material to in order to fill in the gaps in the wood or the lake wood stuff that has been sitting around and is basically a petrified tree, there is a scientific and measurable difference between the keil wood and the normal maple shafts.

I don't see any issues with trademarking the name, even if it's something that was done before. It seems to have worked since that is what we are all calling this type of wood.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
...................... just more gimmicks for suckers that think more money for more expensive things will replace time and perseverance and practice.... practice .... practice
You could say the same thing for layered tips, ivory ferrules and joints , carbon fiber shafts, shaft tapers, custom cues

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The important thing is to get used to whatever cue you are using. I notice a couple high profile players have switched back to maple from carbon. Apparently they couldn't get used to the carbon.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am still having a way hard time with that advertisement: harmonic stabilization for straightness. And that registered mark next to keilwood. Silliness at the crossroads
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they make the final turn on the shafts on aphelion in early July when the Earth is farthest from the Sun. This reduces gravity pull and provides the correct balance and less chance of warping.

All the high level cuemakers know this but it's a trade secret they don't like to discuss with outsiders.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
OP, I know you make a few cues. Can you explain how you well you play, and why you believe you are the most qualified to make sweeping statements about various shafts?

Personally I prefer good old maple shafts, micarta ferrules (ideally masons) and a medium tip. I'm just a medicore player, so have nothing to add to this conversation.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP, I know you make a few cues. Can you explain how you well you play, and why you believe you are the most qualified to make sweeping statements about various shafts?

I think he is committed to the traditions of cuemaking that he partakes in and feels the need to defend them against new and novel alternative traditions because that feeds his ego. I don’t think you’re going to get much good discussion from someone that acts at that level of narcissism.