Keith vs shuff one pocket

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brandon won the hotseat, defeating Keith 3-zip. Keith then made it to the finals versus Brandon, and Brandon triumphed with the almighty win, again, 3-zip. Baby Huey came in third.

This was a local tournament at a very cool pool room in Capitol Heights, MD called QuBall1 Billards --> QuBall1Billiards Website.

The owner added $300 to the pot. It was 16 players, $100 entry fee. Paid out 1st, $1,000; 2nd, $500; 3rd, $300; and 4th, $100. A very, very cool one-day event, which I like.

They had a designated referee. It was a well-run event. Larry QuBall Steele runs the pool room, and this is my kind of pool room to hang out in. The music is not too loud. There's no loud talking or screaming. This is a player's room. We will be back for sure. Best pool room for a player to hone their game, IMO.

Keith was pleased with his performance. Of course, he would have liked to have won, but by his own admission, he says his game is only at 80 percent of what it once was before he quit playing. He's been practicing for a couple weeks now and hopes to get that 80 percent back to 90, 95 percent by getting in combat. So watch out, Metro D.C. area. There may be a new sheriff in town. :grin-square:

I must say that Ariel Roy Francisco, the stakehorse of Dennis Orcullo in the One-Pocket Challenge match as well as the pool mentor for Filipino Young Gun James Aramas, is one of best pool peeps I've ever met. We're lucky to have him live here in our area. He not only promotes pool everywhere he goes, but he makes pool exciting for everyone. He's helping James learn one-pocket right now by getting him playing the game with seasoned one-pocket players to see if he likes it, which is why James was in this one-pocket tournament. And James said he definitely likes one-pocket.

Roy, as he is fondly called, has created a platform for pool that welcomes players of all caliber, and this is exactly what has been needed in my neck of the woods. Roy has made pool exciting again for many a player, not only in my area, but around the country.

For those following James Aramas, he'll be playing in North Carolina this week at the $10,000-guaranteed Don Coates Memorial Tournament at Brass Tap in Raleigh, NC, August 23-27. I hear there's quite a few name-brand and top-level players that will be in the house, so this will be one to sweat for sure. Ray Hansen's PoolActionTV will be streaming: http://ppv.audiovideoweb.com/ppvlnk/info/grp/150310189624379?id=11198

Back to QuBall1 Billiards One-Pocket Tournaments, I hear they have these frequently. We will definitely be back. Keith is stoked to play more and hopes to make it to the winner's circle. One thing everybody liked about this pool tournament was the well-established rules. Check out the rule sheet. This is really cool for the players. :cool:

Attachments

• 20882987_739298149590397_4254767025354376157_n.jpg
    20882987_739298149590397_4254767025354376157_n.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,106
Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And here's the players at the players meeting.

Attachments

• 20881827_739301309590081_2992750749594228641_n.jpg
    20881827_739301309590081_2992750749594228641_n.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 912

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old Guard and Young Gun: Keith McCready and James Aramas. :)

Attachments

• 20881847_739301306256748_3805811680374516088_n.jpg
    20881847_739301306256748_3805811680374516088_n.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 905

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith purchased a small quantity of T-shirts for the recent Maryland State 10-Ball Championship and took a few to QuBall1 Billiards yesterday. Well, they were selling like hotcakes. I had to make a special trip and deliver some more because the ones Keith brought sold out. There's something about this T-shirt that seems to put a smile on pool aficionados' faces. I guess you know you're a pool player if you know what the meaning is behind this shirt. ;)

Attachments

• 20842275_739359782917567_4487592270720001108_n.jpg
    20842275_739359782917567_4487592270720001108_n.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 908
Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Larry QuBall Steele and the designated referee at the QuBall1 Billiards in Capitol Heights, MD. I sure do wish I lived closer. I love this place! This truly is a player's pool room. Real pool, real players, and real pool room. :cool:

Attachments

• 20953970_739293916257487_1982079113366452477_n.jpg
    20953970_739293916257487_1982079113366452477_n.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 878

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice to see Keith back in action. We can thank Jam for extending his career. :thumbup:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice to see Keith back in action. We can thank Jam for extending his career. :thumbup:

Thanks, Jay! :smile: Keith has a new bounce in his step in recent times, thanks to pool.

It's hard to find a balance that is "just right," as Goldilocks would say, between pool and life. The pool lifestyle is fun and kind of a rich man's high because it is costly to attend two, three, and four pool tournaments a month. However, these weekend happenings are more affordable, especially the local events.

Would like to hit Turning Stone and this incredible new Buffalo's that everybody keeps raving about. And then there's The Ice House and Griff's and Fargo's. So many cool pool rooms to see. I'll be more like a pool tourist, I guess. Keith, on the other hand, will soak up every minute he's there in each pool room and tournament.

Pool is cool, and pool in one's life is a blessing for people like you and Keith who do appreciate the finer's points of what pool really has to offer. :smiling-heart:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great thread JAM! It's so good to see Keith out having fun like he used to. It's very difficult to adjust to having pool in your blood for your entire life, and then just step away cold turkey for years! We're all glad to see Keith back out on the trail, and we all wish you both the best! Keep those t-shirts coming :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Thanks, Jay! :smile: Keith has a new bounce in his step in recent times, thanks to pool.

It's hard to find a balance that is "just right," as Goldilocks would say, between pool and life. The pool lifestyle is fun and kind of a rich man's high because it is costly to attend two, three, and four pool tournaments a month. However, these weekend happenings are more affordable, especially the local events.

Would like to hit Turning Stone and this incredible new Buffalo's that everybody keeps raving about. And then there's The Ice House and Griff's and Fargo's. So many cool pool rooms to see. I'll be more like a pool tourist, I guess. Keith, on the other hand, will soak up every minute he's there in each pool room and tournament.

Pool is cool, and pool in one's life is a blessing for people like you and Keith who do appreciate the finer's points of what pool really has to offer. :smiling-heart:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jam, is there a website for those t shirts?

There was a website, but it was not lucrative to keep it going after a year. :(

You can write to Keith at khmccready-at-AOL-dot-com and ask for the size availability if you are interested. You can PayPal or send a check. They are $20 if you see Keith in person and $25 if you want it mailed Postal Priority.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great thread JAM! It's so good to see Keith out having fun like he used to. It's very difficult to adjust to having pool in your blood for your entire life, and then just step away cold turkey for years! We're all glad to see Keith back out on the trail, and we all wish you both the best! Keep those t-shirts coming :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Thanks, Scott! Keith is happy to be hitting balls and seeing all the pool peeps. It's definitely in his blood, and he's having a blast. :smile:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Bottom line Jam, Keith is an icon in the pool world. The oral and written history on him stretches back to his youth in the 60's, when he was gambling with the big boys in Bellflower at age 14! There were only two other players who could draw a crowd like Keith back then; Ronnie Allen and Louie Roberts. To get all three together in the same room was pure entertainment.

I'm leaving out Fats, who was the most famous pool player who ever lived, because he was all showman and rarely hit a ball or played anyone. These three guys above lived for the action and made it happen wherever they were. I feel fortunate to be part of their generation and spend so much time in their company. So many good memories! :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bottom line Jam, Keith is an icon in the pool world. The oral and written history on him stretches back to his youth in the 60's, when he was gambling with the big boys in Bellflower at age 14! There were only two other players who could draw a crowd like Keith back then; Ronnie Allen and Louie Roberts. To get all three together in the same room was pure entertainment.

I'm leaving out Fats, who was the most famous pool player who ever lived, because he was all showman and rarely hit a ball or played anyone. These three guys above lived for the action and made it happen wherever they were. I feel fortunate to be part of their generation and spend so much time in their company. So many good memories! :)

Thanks, Jay, for sharing your memories and thoughts. :)

Keith and Fats played one time in the Midwest. I wish digital video was available at that time. It would have been a hoot! :grin-square: