King of the Castle final match Split Pot

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Was watching the King of the Castle tournament. Winner got $16,800 and 2nd got $7800 or somewhere close to that.

It came down to Eddie and Chris. I think Eddie was the higher ranked player as he had to spot Chris 1 game to a race to seven for Chris. If Eddie got to seven first than it would be a race to 9.

I think Eddie offered to split the pot and Chris was willing to split the pots but wanted $2000 extra. Eddie said no and they played it out. Chris won.

Who was the greedy one?

Do you think they should always make them play it out? The game ended around 12:45 am.

Why would they have to play the extra 2 games if Eddie was already giving a spot?

I think there was also a Calcutta involved. How do they handle that if they decide to split. Do they do the same with that?

🎱

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the calcutta issue would require agreement of all involved parties. That said, if you bought somebody and then went against his wishes at the end, forcing him to play...well then, i dont like your end of it from there.

Was this single elimination? Why did chris think the split shouldnt be 50/50? Funny that he won.

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was watching the King of the Castle tournament. Winner got $16,800 and 2nd got $7800 or somewhere close to that.

It came down to Eddie and Chris. I think Eddie was the higher ranked player as he had to spot Chris 1 game to a race to seven for Chris. If Eddie got to seven first than it would be a race to 9.

I think Eddie offered to split the pot and Chris was willing to split the pots but wanted $2000 extra. Eddie said no and they played it out. Chris won.

Who was the greedy one?

Do you think they should always make them play it out? The game ended around 12:45 am.

Why would they have to play the extra 2 games if Eddie was already giving a spot?

I think there was also a Calcutta involved. How do they handle that if they decide to split. Do they do the same with that?

🎱
Theoretically yes but wats stopping them from splitting anyway just behind the scenes, this way there's a chance for it to be on the square so to say.

Btw-16,000 for a damn regional event is incredible that's life changing money where I'm at :)

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Was this a strictly amateur event? No offense to any of the players but it seemed like most were either low B and A level skill set. Again no disrespect just wanted to know the parameters. I mean 16K for first is HUGE!!!

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Who was the greedy one?

🎱

It sounds to me like this was an extended race finals. Predator tour does that. The idea is in the finals one guy has a loss and one guy is undefeated in the hot seat. If the undefeated guy wins the race to whatever in the final, its over and he wins. If the guy with one loss wins the race, they extend it by, in this case, two games. This entire arrangement marginally favors the higher ranked player, because although there is a handicap to start, the additional 2 games are essentially "even", and they only occur if the guy with one loss wins the last game of the regular set, thus going into the race to 2 with a lead.

In any case, the undefeated guy would be well justified in asking for an uneven split. That's totally fine. To split even would be especially generous on his part.

If there is a calcutta, the split should be the same for the calcutta as for the main pot. The only parties involved in that split should be the 2 players. (However, and very importantly, if *I* was one of those players, and I knew someone had 1/2 of me I would definitely discuss this with them privately. If they had a major issue with me splitting, I would advise them to steer clear of me in future calcuttas...if I'm playing a friend, we are probably going to split if it is a huge swing in money.)

In the case mentioned here, I would probably have a private discussion with my opponent. I would like to play the match for the good of the tourney and the spectators. I would offer some split that makes the finals worth something, but not 9 grand. Maybe we have the winner get $1000 more than the loser, something like that. That way, the show goes on (if that is a concern), we are still playing for serious money, but both guys go home with a fat chunk of change...everyone is happy. That's how I look at it anyway.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why did chris think the split shouldnt be 50/50? Funny that he won.

I believe this was a double elimination tourney. One player was undefeated, presumably Chris? I think it is very common to have an uneven split when one guy is undefeated and the other has a loss. Unless of course it is already a 1 set final, with no "extend if the one loss guy loses" aspect. At that point they are even, and the split should be even.

For example, the Super Billiards Expo is just a single extended race final, so the hotseat guy and the guy that comes from the losers side are essentially even at the point of the finals.

KMRUNOUT

BrooklynJay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this a strictly amateur event? No offense to any of the players but it seemed like most were either low B and A level skill set. Again no disrespect just wanted to know the parameters. I mean 16K for first is HUGE!!!

It's for players rated A++ and below and it's a handicapped event.

First place was 16,500 is you won and had yourself in the Calcutta. I think it was 10k for first, and 6,500 for the Calcutta.

BrooklynJay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Who was the greedy one?

🎱

Chris was the higher ranked player and was giving Eddie a game. Chris was also in the hot seat. If I remember right, if Chris got to 9 first, he wins. If Eddie got to 9 first, then it extends to 13.

So Chris being the one in the hot seat and the higher seated player...wanting 2k extra...

BrooklynJay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also wanted to say that you have to give it up to Castle Billiards for doing this. They held two events a month for two years, added money to the pot, 1k to 1.5k depending on the turnout, and never took any money out. Everyone paid the same entry, $50, and there was no registration fee. The break and run money was added to the Finale prize and paid back to the players.

Amazing event - sad to see it end.

TheBook

Silver Member

There were A, B, C, and D players.

To qualify for the tournament you had to play in 16 of the 24 tournaments that they held thru the year at Castle Billiards.

I think they had a A,B bracket and a C, D bracket. The winner in the C/D would then play the winner in the A/B. It was double elimination. The owner knew how the players played and established their rating thru the year long tournaments. Games on the wire were given according to ratings. It was an open to males and females. Jennifer Barretta was in it. It was supposed to be a amateur tournament.

They have been running this tournament for a few years and it was mentioned that this will probably be the last with such a big payout.

AZB Streamed it with Upstate Al. He said that the games will be on ROKU.

🎱

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Theoretically yes but wats stopping them from splitting anyway just behind the scenes, this way there's a chance for it to be on the square so to say.

Btw-16,000 for a damn regional event is incredible that's life changing money where I'm at :)

This isn't a comment about the players involved in this scenario but with a big Calcutta there is a lot of space available for that kind of thing especially if one player has part of himself in the Calcutta and an outsider has the other player.

They agree to split the prize money and the Calcutta and the outsider has a better chance of winning with a bet on a mule to win the Kentucky Derby.

ignomirello

Tony IGGY
Silver Member
OK people here is the breakdown Eddie was a C+ Chris was a B player Chris had to give Eddie 1 game on 7 . If Eddie got to 7 1st the race was extended to 9. There was 24 events held & you had to play in 14 of those events to be in the finale tournament. 1st prize was $10,000.00 + side pot of $6,500.00 for total of $16,500.00 For Chris If you had yourself in the side pot. 2nd prize (EDDIE) was ABOUT $5K with about 2800 for the side pot. 3rd place (DINKO) got $3,000 + about $1500. 4th place was also involved in the side pot which was won by (Andy). THEY PAID 1/3 OF THE FIELD 17-24 an amount of $200.00 I don't know if you will EVER see a tournament like this for armatures again !!! Thank you again CASTLE BILLIARDS for hosting a tournament of a lifetime. !!!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris was the higher ranked player and was giving Eddie a game. Chris was also in the hot seat. If I remember right, if Chris got to 9 first, he wins. If Eddie got to 9 first, then it extends to 13.

So Chris being the one in the hot seat and the higher seated player...wanting 2k extra...

If I was in the hot seat and thought I had a good chance to win, I'd want a split to go a bit my way. Or split, and then play for the difference. My son did that a bit ago, total for first and second was 660, they split 600 and played for the 60.

ignomirello

Tony IGGY
Silver Member
Split?

If I was in the hot seat and thought I had a good chance to win, I'd want a split to go a bit my way. Or split, and then play for the difference. My son did that a bit ago, total for first and second was 660, they split 600 and played for the 60.

But in this case the difference was over $5,000.00 A big difference don't you think?

TheBook

Silver Member
OK people here is the breakdown Eddie was a C+ Chris was a B player Chris had to give Eddie 1 game on 7 . If Eddie got to 7 1st the race was extended to 9. There was 24 events held & you had to play in 14 of those events to be in the finale tournament. 1st prize was $10,000.00 + side pot of $6,500.00 for total of $16,500.00 For Chris If you had yourself in the side pot. 2nd prize (EDDIE) was ABOUT $5K with about 2800 for the side pot. 3rd place (DINKO) got $3,000 + about $1500. 4th place was also involved in the side pot which was won by (Andy). THEY PAID 1/3 OF THE FIELD 17-24 an amount of $200.00 I don't know if you will EVER see a tournament like this for armatures again !!! Thank you again CASTLE BILLIARDS for hosting a tournament of a lifetime. !!!

Thanks for the straight facts. I was watching it and fell asleep right before the match started. I woke up when Upstate Al said that he didn't know if there was going to be a final as they were talking about doing a split. Then he got excited and said they are going old school and will be playing because of they couldn't agree on the split.

🎱

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone else not care for the promoters adding calcutta money to the win total of an event? It kind of rubs me the wrong way.

But in this case, a $2k difference does not sound out of line for the one in the hot seat, he earned a little more when splitting. $1,000 difference for 1st/2nd place and $1,000 difference for the calcutta.