Lannoo Linear Lathe Review

BSummersCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to recommend to you give a lannoo linear lathe a try. I bought one brand new about a month ago and I love it. They don't have built in taper bar for shafts yet but Brian Lanoo is working on perfecting the design for it. I made my own which was totally cool with me because I got to build it to my likings and have my own taper. Total or probably 2 hrs in building the taper bar. As for butt tapering it is awsome with the router attatchment. A feature on it I personally love is the tail stock and headstock both tilt to the same angle leaving no bind on the work you are turning for straight tapers. Power feed which you can adjust the speed down as slow or fast as you would like and can feed both left or right which is a must have for using e router attatchment. The carriage will not ever clog up with wood chips because it is ran on a linear track under the bed. So the carriage basically hovers the bed. The carriage has a quick release to Change out the plates with different tool attatchements if desired. They are great lathes and would consider it a cross between a cue lathe and metal lathe because it is such a solid machine. So look him upand put your order in for one. I am just giving my honest opinion of the lathe I am no sales rep for him lol. Any more questions pm me!
20140204_210856_zpst7sugrxr.jpg
IMG-20140304-WA0005_zpsrw2pkfe3.jpg

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
The main thing I don't like about this lath is that the hand wheel used to move the saddle is not located on the saddle.

Kim

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
I would also like to see a video of it in action. Tips, cleaning a shaft, or installing a pin.... Anything.

thanks

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Not really interested in a video myself but maybe answers to a few questions would be nice.
I'm not at all interested in this lathe but someone who is may be asking the same questions.

Where is the carriage hand-wheel?

Where is the rack & pinion?
If you're moving the carriage solely with power-feed, you may have some problems.
For instance, how would you advance the carriage .001-.002 accurately when facing a shaft?
You may not think that manual-advance is such a big deal until you try to cut a tenon
to length. Using exclusively pwr-fd, I see a train-wreck in your future.

Tilting headstock & tilting tailstock. Can they be locked anywhere in-btwn?

You speak of a linear rail for carriage travel. Just one?
I'll bet you get some tilt out of that also, want it or not.

What's the spindle bore?

Has the designer/builder of this lathe ever built a cue to know what's involved?

Does it come with a money-back, satisfaction guarantee?

Please understand that I'm not raggin' on you.
I'm just thinking that Chris should have no concerns over this.....at all.
What I see presented is pretty much a taper machine that didn't come with a taper-bar.

Here's a link to what I consider to be a nice lathe. What did yours cost compared to this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221382540597?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really interested in a video myself but maybe answers to a few questions would be nice.
I'm not at all interested in this lathe but someone who is may be asking the same questions.

Where is the carriage hand-wheel?

Where is the rack & pinion?
If you're moving the carriage solely with power-feed, you may have some problems.
For instance, how would you advance the carriage .001-.002 accurately when facing a shaft?
You may not think that manual-advance is such a big deal until you try to cut a tenon
to length. Using exclusively pwr-fd, I see a train-wreck in your future.

Tilting headstock & tilting tailstock. Can they be locked anywhere in-btwn?

You speak of a linear rail for carriage travel. Just one?
I'll bet you get some tilt out of that also, want it or not.

What's the spindle bore?

Has the designer/builder of this lathe ever built a cue to know what's involved?

Does it come with a money-back, satisfaction guarantee?

Please understand that I'm not raggin' on you.
I'm just thinking that Chris should have no concerns over this.....at all.
What I see presented is pretty much a taper machine that didn't come with a taper-bar.

Here's a link to what I consider to be a nice lathe. What did yours cost compared to this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221382540597?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Looks like another 'hit-and-run' recommendation.

Perhaps I am just too cynical, but when someone seems to be avoiding
the subject of price...

Dale

BSummersCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The handwheel is under the headstock which can turn the acme thread rod that runs the powerfeed mode or manual. For sure it is different than what we all used to and some people dont like change. Im used to it now and feels natural. I see you are from ne indiana you should go check out his lathes he lives in elkhart. And yes I do run a precision metal lathe too also. And I have a hightower and all I can say is they are all great. Not looking to debate on any subject or matter just sharing with curious cuemakers some of my thoughts on it. If you want more info call Brian or get on his website for further info.

BSummersCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KJ if you would like you could come over and check it out sometime so you could see it operate in person.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A few months ago they (the manufacturer) had one on eBay and it was discussed here. IIRC the Buy it Now was in the low $3000's
It could probably be found with a search.
HTH
Gary

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
KJ if you would like you could come over and check it out sometime so you could see it operate in person.

Brent,

I appreciate your offer of seeing the lathe in person but as I've stated, I have no interest in aluminum lathes.
I'll try and make-do with old American iron. Getting to be quite a lot to choose from lately.
No, even if you were within a comfortable driving distance for me, I couldn't justify the gas to
look at (and further evaluate) a pc of machinery that I have no interest in. I can't justify the time away either.

Again, I meant nothing towards you in my post, my questions were more for the reader and what they might ask.
The alum-lathe market has been competitive at times, it's a tough business. Thinking outside the box will happen.
More towards Mr. Lanoo, I would respectfully suggest that lathes are laid-out the way they are for a reason.
A few hundred yrs in their evolution gave us hand-wheels and controls in their current locations because
they allow the operator (and machine) to function more efficiently.
On a larger machine, reaching behind the headstock to advance the carriage could present a safety issue.

Your review/recommendation suggests that you are pleased with your lathe, I'm happy for you.
It's a machine that will function and I hope it serves you well for many years to come.

KJ

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
Is that some sort of latch holding the two halves of the carriage together? Could this not have been a one piece billet or does that latch have something to do with changing something out when needed?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I would like to recommend to you give a lannoo linear lathe a try. I bought one brand new about a month ago and I love it. They don't have built in taper bar for shafts yet but Brian Lanoo is working on perfecting the design for it. I made my own which was totally cool with me because I got to build it to my likings and have my own taper. Total or probably 2 hrs in building the taper bar. As for butt tapering it is awsome with the router attatchment. A feature on it I personally love is the tail stock and headstock both tilt to the same angle leaving no bind on the work you are turning for straight tapers. Power feed which you can adjust the speed down as slow or fast as you would like and can feed both left or right which is a must have for using e router attatchment. The carriage will not ever clog up with wood chips because it is ran on a linear track under the bed. So the carriage basically hovers the bed. The carriage has a quick release to Change out the plates with different tool attatchements if desired. They are great lathes and would consider it a cross between a cue lathe and metal lathe because it is such a solid machine. So look him upand put your order in for one. I am just giving my honest opinion of the lathe I am no sales rep for him lol. Any more questions pm me!
20140204_210856_zpst7sugrxr.jpg
IMG-20140304-WA0005_zpsrw2pkfe3.jpg
What would be the advantage of this lathe over say a Grizzly gun lathe ?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Gunsmith-s-Bench-Top-Lathe-with-Stand/G4003G
I believe that lathe is over $3K too.

BSummersCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a quick release to change out different carriage plates. Or to just get it out of the way for polishing or wrapping etc.

BSummersCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have never used a grizzly gun lathe. It sold me because I just liked the overall design of it. When I went to his shop and checked it out I was very impressed. He showed me every piece used in the assembly of it. Plus the customer service with him is great and very nice guy to deal with. If you have a special need he will come up with a design to suit your needs.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Now that it's been a year plus....would like to know how it's going with this lathe? The company is now for sale, and would like some feedback from about the only person on AZ that owns one. To me it seems only good at being a tapering lathe, not a full function building lathe.
Dave