League situation

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be the jerk. :)

If it's someone that is even somewhat paying attention and just gets distracted I would tell them. I normally tell everyone... BUT we did have a night where there was a guy on the team we were playing that was taking forever. When it wasn't his shot he was running across the bar talking to friends and obnoxious as hell. The first time I fouled I sat the cb on the chalk and sat down in which he took a good 5 minutes to make his way back to the table. The second time I fouled I went and sat down and waited over 5 minutes for him to make his way back and didn't say a word. It's the only time I can think of that I've ever not either handed over the cb or sat it on the chalk but this guy had me annoyed to no end.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hand them the ball so never comes up. But when they're lining up to shoot the wrong ball I don't say anything.

So you use good sportsmanship when you foul, but poor sportsmanship when they are about to?

Something tells me you only hand them the ball when you know you are being watched.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think in some leagues the captain of the team is allowed to call a foul if the player does not, but they may be just bad memories and maybe not true.

In APA any player may suggest it, but only the captain and player can call it. If it is 2 balls close and you don't ask for someone to watch and it is too close to call then it goes to the shooter. If the ball is frozen and you don't tell your opponent before they shoot, it goes to the shooter.

Bottom line is that you and your captain should be paying attention to the match at all times.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... sat down in which he took a good 5 minutes to make his way back to the table. The second time I fouled I went and sat down and waited over 5 minutes for him to make his way back and didn't say a word..

After about 1 minute waiting the second time I would have put him on the clock and taken ball in hand after every minute he wasn't at the table. :)

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After about 1 minute waiting the second time I would have put him on the clock and taken ball in hand after every minute he wasn't at the table. :)

Unfortunately that league doesn't have a rule in place for that or it would have been a lot better night. I did feel bad until the end of the night when their team apologized and said if they could find another player they wouldn't have to deal with him anymore.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is it so hard to pay attention to the game? I probably would give BIH but at some
point I think it just as likely that I would say the hell with it. I watch the match so should
your opponent.
In a related matter were I play daily, a senior center, there has been an on going situation where when we are playing partners 8 ball (limited number of tables available) someone
will go to the table next to the one we are playing on, if open, and hit balls. Drives me crazy.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player A fouls and player B is not paying attention
Player A tells player B you have ball in hand.

Player A fouls again and player B is not paying attention again.
Player A says its your shot and does not tell player B he has ball in hand.

Snooze you lose?

Most ABDick test questions have multiple choice answers.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
So you use good sportsmanship when you foul, but poor sportsmanship when they are about to?

Something tells me you only hand them the ball when you know you are being watched.

Not true, cause I do the same thing. when they are at the table, I don't say a word. Not for me to "coach" him, nor tell him how to play, or run the rack. I'm not going to distract him at all, cause you're suppose to be quiet and leave him be. Now if a cute girl walks by, well, that's different ;)

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately that league doesn't have a rule in place for that or it would have been a lot better night. I did feel bad until the end of the night when their team apologized and said if they could find another player they wouldn't have to deal with him anymore.

Rule or not if the 2 captains come to an agreement then that is how it would be played.

I would also put a call into the league office and ask that this be established. Many leagues base their rules on the WPA or some other major billiards organization with "their modified rules". Anything not modified by them goes by that organization. In WPA both players can ask to put the play on a clock which gives them 35 secs to shoot with one 25 sec extension per game.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You got it all wrong. If your opponent lines up a bad shot that is on them and you absolutely 100% should not say a word. Why you ask? Because it is not your place to coach your opponent. They are solely responsible for choosing which shot to take.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got it all wrong. If your opponent lines up a bad shot that is on them and you absolutely 100% should not say a word. Why you ask? Because it is not your place to coach your opponent. They are solely responsible for choosing which shot to take.

This sounds a little similar to some advice a neighbor gave me regarding finding bargains at rummage sales. He said "you are not obligated to educate the seller on price."

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Same here. I prefer to win by skill, rather than by exploiting the rules.

I always call fouls on myself. Karma and what not...

Recently, I had an opponent get upset when I called foul after he shot the wrong ball and I'm ok with that. It's my job to win the game, not tell my opponent what to shoot.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Not true, cause I do the same thing. when they are at the table, I don't say a word. Not for me to "coach" him, nor tell him how to play, or run the rack. I'm not going to distract him at all, cause you're suppose to be quiet and leave him be. Now if a cute girl walks by, well, that's different ;)

This is a valid point, RJ. I've seen too many situations where the guy appears like he will shoot at the wrong ball but doesn't. Sometimes he's kicking, or sighting his next shot. And the angle from my chair might not be perfect to tell what's going on. I'm never really sure what the guy is gonna do until he's done it. So I've always felt my number 1 priority is to remain quiet and not shark my opponent. Even on the rare occasion when it's happened I've not been sure that was what was about to take place. Far be it from me to suddenly jump up and shout at him while he's down on a shot.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
This is a valid point, RJ. I've seen too many situations where the guy appears like he will shoot at the wrong ball but doesn't. Sometimes he's kicking, or sighting his next shot. And the angle from my chair might not be perfect to tell what's going on. I'm never really sure what the guy is gonna do until he's done it. So I've always felt my number 1 priority is to remain quiet and not shark my opponent. Even on the rare occasion when it's happened I've not been sure that was what was about to take place. Far be it from me to suddenly jump up and shout at him while he's down on a shot.

Thanks for adding a few more points. Yep, I don't know what he's looking at... maybe he's taking an intentional foul?? Who the heck knows sometimes what's rattling around in a pool players head ;)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have never had to ask the question the op posed. i know it sounds cliche but my integrity means more to me than a game.

as has been said on here numerous times...most league players are having a night out with friends or wives having fun shooting pool...albeit in a some what competitive environment.

you run into all sorts of players...from one who will laugh at his loss and congratulate you to some one who will break his cue in half and refuse to acknowledge your victory.

you have people who call foul on their selves every time even when you are not aware of it ...and you were paying attention. i have watched my opponent make a shot and call foul but i could not tell from where i was standing.

i have also seen obvious fouls and the shooter deny it...kinda irks you off but the call goes to the shooter unless you had an observer. when that happens i put that player on my list of assholes which has been growing considerably the last year for some reason. i make it a point to call for an observer on any thing close from then on.

as for telling an opponent when he is about to shoot the wrong ball....if they are not on my list of assholes i always tell them.

now all of the above view points are during regular session... all that shit is thrown out the window at playoffs or higher , i am out for blood cause i know every one else is also. :grin-square:

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always tell them they have BIH. There have been a couple of times where my opponent was not listening and didn't take it though. Once they were hooked and missed the kick, giving ME ball in hand.

His captain was not happy lol

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The league I play in, it's up to the opponent to question the shooter if he thinks there was a foul. In other words, if the person sitting is absorbed in texting or girl watching, and just too busy to pay attention, too bad. You snooze you lose. It's a very competitive league, and everyone is aware of the rules so best pay attention when it's not your shot. It's a great way to keep folks head in the game. Nothing is more annoying that to constantly have to tell your opponent it's their shot because they are too busy doing something else. Hey, you are here to shoot pool and compete, not constantly text and talk on the phone (which is what it usually is about 3/4 the time).

On a non league foul, I'll admit it every time, and give em the cue ball.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The league I play in, it's up to the opponent to question the shooter if he thinks there was a foul. In other words, if the person sitting is absorbed in texting or girl watching, and just too busy to pay attention, too bad. You snooze you lose. It's a very competitive league, and everyone is aware of the rules so best pay attention when it's not your shot. It's a great way to keep folks head in the game. Nothing is more annoying that to constantly have to tell your opponent it's their shot because they are too busy doing something else. Hey, you are here to shoot pool and compete, not constantly text and talk on the phone (which is what it usually is about 3/4 the time).

On a non league foul, I'll admit it every time, and give em the cue ball.

Sounds like the worst league ever. My god nobody admits when they foul?!? Give me a break. Who comes up with crap like that?

SlashingAxe

Pool newbie
Silver Member
Whenever I play I always give em the ball or tell them when they're walking up to the table. There's been times I fouled and my opponent wasn't paying attention on their phone and they just run out from there. Same as with shooting the wrong ball. One night I only had 2 balls on the table and a bih would've been an easy out. I see my opponent aiming at mine(his weren't anywhere near mine) while his team didn't notice what was wrong and I shout wrong ball. My opponent quickly adjusts to shoot his balls and runs out. I kicked myself for what would've been an easy out with bih but better to lose with integrity.

beliscd

Registered
I had a strange incident this past weekend.....First off, I normally ALWAYS pick up the cue ball and hand it to my opponent....BUT, this guy I was playing was high as a kite and barely able to hold himself up. On my first foul, I handed him the ball, but after watching him inspect each shot for 5 minutes (I should have called time on him), I stopped giving him anything...so, I guess it just depends