Less than a minute and "Hey, where'd that come from?"

PocketChalker said:
:confused: "Hey, where'd it go?"
YouTube

It looks kind of similar to a keychain. Is there a magic trick associated with it when the gentleman is flipping it around his hand?

Looks like a good idea for a pool player to keep his own personal chalk on his person while he's playing. Sometimes an opponent will take the good chalk and hog it all, hoping to make the other guy miscue, I guess. :p

Another thing about a pocket chalker, it covers the name brand of the chalk. For professional players competing on television when a chalk company is a sponsor, this could come in handy. :D

At one of the Skins Billiard Championships, I think, Silver chalk -- subject to check -- was one of the sponsors who donated money to make the event happen. Well, around these parts, I think most of the players like Master's, but it wouldn't be a good thing to see a Master's chalk sitting on the TV table when Silver chalk is a sponsor. So this little pocket gadget would cover up the name of the chalk and allow the pro player to chalk up with his Master's chalk or whatever other secret weapon he has in his bag of tricks. ;)

Karen Corr always uses a pocket chalk-looking thingie. :)

JAM
 
You know, speaking of chalk thingies. I remember this pool room in Annapolis, Maryland -- can't remember the name of it -- that had chalk thingies on elastic-looking, bungie-type cords hanging from the ceiling. :D

When a player needed to chalk up, he just looked up, pulled it, chalked his cue, and kept on shooting. It eliminated the blue dust from getting all over the rails and felt. That's why pool players' hands are always dirty as hell after they've been playing for a while. Remember Jackie Gleason in "The Hustler"? He washed his hands between matches with Fast Eddie. Heck, after my boyfriend has been playing all night long, his hands look like he's been gardening, filthy dirty, with calluses on his knuckles.

Pool etiquette. You're never supposed to leave the blue side of the chalk facing down when you place it on the rail of a pool table. How many of y'all utilize this practice when playing pool?

Owners of the pool room should be selling this thing to everyone. It would save them time when they have to clean the pool tables up at night; that is, if you're lucky enough to shoot pool in a pool room that cleans its tables. :D

JAM
 
Last edited:
JAM said:
Pool etiquette. You're never supposed to leave the blue side of the chalk facing down when you place it on the rail of a pool table. How many of y'all utilize this practice when playing pool?
JAM

Grrrr
I hate it when people put chalk side down (or even sideways)!:mad:

Please everyone take special not of this particular etiquette.
 
Another good idea

You can also go to the dollar store and pick up some adhesive velcro strips. Cut them down, put one end of the velcro on the chalk, the other on your belt, and you will never have your chalk stolen or misplaced again. It also helps keep the table clean.
 
How many of y'all utilize this practice when playing pool?

I make a conscience effort fwiw.Easier to do/remember after a shot made though lol.

But I do try....someday I'll be pretty close to 100% with it I'd imagine.

Edited to add:
If I can ever break the habit of chalking after a miss and walking off with the chalk I'll let you know.
Not sure when that started but its deep in the subconscience it seems ;) Been working on that one for a few years now........
 
Last edited:
I always keep my chalk in the small change pocket in my jeans, it's the perfect size. The only downside is that all of my jeans are frayed out right there
 
Thunderball said:
I make a conscience effort fwiw.Easier to do/remember after a shot made though lol.

But I do try....someday I'll be pretty close to 100% with it I'd imagine.

Edited to add:
If I can ever break the habit of chalking after a miss and walking off with the chalk I'll let you know.
Not sure when that started but its deep in the subconscience it seems ;) Been working on that one for a few years now........


That's not a problem if you're walking off with your own... :D
 
Chalk-ups

JAM said:
You know, speaking of chalk thingies. I remember this pool room in Annapolis, Maryland -- can't remember the name of it -- that had chalk thingies on elastic-looking, bungie-type cords hanging from the ceiling. :D JAM
Most of the bars in North County San Diego have this device called Chalk-Up suspended from the ceiling. They hang it from the same hook as the light. The chalk is in a holder attached to a string there is a small double pulley and a counter weight. You pull it down to chalk and when you release it the chalk automacticaly retracts back up. The best part about it is it keeps the chalk from falling in the pockets and jamming up the ball return on a barbox. One of the bar owners in the area invented and sells them.
 
JAM said:
Another thing about a pocket chalker, it covers the name brand of the chalk. For professional players competing on television when a chalk company is a sponsor, this could come in handy. :D

What if someone just plain doesn't like the way Silver Cup chalks?? Why should a pro player, unless he's sponsored by Silver Cup, be forced to use something that some believe is inferior to Master? BTW, I'm in that camp. Some room owners seem to like Silver Cup because it may last longer, or cost less. FWIW, I love squeaky chalk sounds, and SC doesn't do it as well as Master..:)
 
JAM said:
Pool etiquette. You're never supposed to leave the blue side of the chalk facing down when you place it on the rail of a pool table. How many of y'all utilize this practice when playing pool?

I leave the chalk facing up, of course. Unless I was playing someone very fussy about these little things, in which case I might just turn it upside down from time to time and see if it aggravates them. Stuff like this can get into someone's head and cost them a game.
 
Blackjack said:
You can also go to the dollar store and pick up some adhesive velcro strips. Cut them down, put one end of the velcro on the chalk, the other on your belt, and you will never have your chalk stolen or misplaced again. It also helps keep the table clean.

Great idea!
 
Flex said:
What if someone just plain doesn't like the way Silver Cup chalks?? Why should a pro player, unless he's sponsored by Silver Cup, be forced to use something that some believe is inferior to Master? BTW, I'm in that camp. Some room owners seem to like Silver Cup because it may last longer, or cost less. FWIW, I love squeaky chalk sounds, and SC doesn't do it as well as Master..:)

I can't remember which Skins Billiards Championship it was, but Silver Cup chalk was one of THE sponsors, and at the players meeting, they announced that you must use that chalk when playing, or else! :D

JAM
 
JAM said:
I can't remember which Skins Billiards Championship it was, but Silver Cup chalk was one of THE sponsors, and at the players meeting, they announced that you must use that chalk when playing, or else! :D

JAM

Bummer! Miscues more often, IMHO. Feels slightly oily when applying. No squeak. No squeak when using Master often means the chalk is no good. Perhaps Silver Cup has that problem licked. The only thing I like about SC is the color of the wrapper.
 
JAM said:
I can't remember which Skins Billiards Championship it was, but Silver Cup chalk was one of THE sponsors, and at the players meeting, they announced that you must use that chalk when playing, or else! :D

JAM


"Or else!" means they'd disqualify you?

What if you used your own chalker? Will the chalk police step in and verify if SC is indeed being used?
 
Funny, if I had to list the top five things most likely to be able to distract me while playing, I'm sure that grabbing for dangling chalk, or putting chalk on in my pocket or anywhere else for that matter would be right up there.

Taking the chalk from the rail, chalking, replacing it, ( LOL picking it up again at times) chalking and putting it back on the rail (face up btw) is an integral part of my rhythm while stalking the table, so to speak.

I often watched Karen Corr with the chalk, wondering how the heck can she do that ... lol, guess its all what you are used to. :)
 
I wasted the whole minute waiting for him to either flip it to the other side, then open his palm and it disappeared... or else open his palm and the holder is there, but the chalk itself disappeared. He has David Blaine hand movements.
 
JAM said:
I can't remember which Skins Billiards Championship it was, but Silver Cup chalk was one of THE sponsors, and at the players meeting, they announced that you must use that chalk when playing, or else! :D

JAM
Good thing it wasn't Cuetec sponsored!:eek:
 
Back
Top