Let's Make Jump Sticks, Tite Racks Illegal

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I say let's all rack the best we can...it's not hard to get a tight rack. I've done it thousands of times, as many of you have. Jump sticks....if I didn't hook you good enough and you can jump out of it, good on you. If you hooked yourself and jumped out of it that's fine by me. I really wasn't supposed to be shooting had you gotten your shape like your supposed to. If I hook myself accidentally, well, I'm kicking it in anyway. Or trying my damndest at least. Now go play pool, jump if you have to, doesn't bother me. Matt

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you go down that road, you'll open the game up to a whole other level of nitpicking and rule-lawyering. Most break shots of any speed at all, the ball will leave the table. Some masse shots, the ball will leave the table, if hit firm enough. What about if you hit the rail too hard, yup...the ball will leave the table. If only momentarily...
The CB actually “leaves the table” (hops) on almost every shot.

pj
chgo

JC

Coos Cues

pj
chgo

If you're arguing in favor of legal jump shots you're making a silly argument. There is no comparison between the jump shot and shooting at unobstructed object balls. You know damned well what this conversation is about and you're using a red herring to try to derail it.

And furthermore if your cue ball is leaving the table on almost every shot you may be shooting too hard. Pocket speed is your friend.

JC

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

pj
chgo

If you're arguing in favor of legal jump shots you're making a silly argument. There is no comparison between the jump shot and shooting at unobstructed object balls. You know damned well what this conversation is about and you're using a red herring to try to derail it.
lol

If knowing the CB hops on almost every shot "derails" this conversation for you, maybe your concentration is a little too fragile...?

Anyway, I wasn't making an argument one way or another about jumping - I don't really care.

And furthermore if your cue ball is leaving the table on almost every shot you may be shooting too hard. Pocket speed is your friend.
The CB "leaves the table" on most soft shots too. Uh oh - there I go derailing the thread again.

pj <- my bad
chgo

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally agree, the hostility here has so far prevented me from posting. This is my first post and I am sure people will say shut up newbie or some other insult.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I totally agree, the hostility here has so far prevented me from posting. This is my first post and I am sure people will say shut up newbie or some other insult.
It's easy to misread the intent behind a written post. JC might have misread me - I might have misread his response. Best to keep a sense of humor about it.

Welcome to the sideshow.

pj
chgo

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....Welcome to the sideshow.

pj
chgo

Closer to Jim Rose than Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey :thumbup:

9PWrgEW.gif

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

JC

He was replying to my post, about the ball leaving the table. Which I was trying to point out to the OP, using his words, when he was talking about "shots leaving the table"...and if you try to legislate against shots leaving the table, what a mess that would be, with people finding every which way to try and rules-lawyer around any little thing.

It's not an argument for or against jump cues, but about the general though process about "banning shots that leave the table"

Mostly tongue-in-cheek. Trying to have a little levity in a tired converstion :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

rbrtjs3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fun

I use a jump cue and, for me, it's a fun part of the game. I wonder how many people who want to ban jump cues aren't very good at jumping. I bet not all, but most. I think they should learn how to do it and get with the game. I also use a sand wedge when I get myself "locked up" in the sand..... That's fun too. I would hate to see that club banned because maybe I should possess the skill necessary to stay out of the sand trap - or maybe I should get out some other way because I put myself there. I enjoy the game a lot, but it amazes me how many whiners there are in the sport. I play with several people in league who don't agree with playing safeties and get mad when you do so. Where does it end. Geez Louise!! ------- Oh, now the rack is toooo tight??!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!

I think we should keep the sport fun - teach people how to use the equipment that's allowed - and try to grow the sport by appealing to younger folks.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
I use a jump cue and, for me, it's a fun part of the game. I wonder how many people who want to ban jump cues aren't very good at jumping. I bet not all, but most. I think they should learn how to do it and get with the game. I also use a sand wedge when I get myself "locked up" in the sand..... That's fun too. I would hate to see that club banned because maybe I should possess the skill necessary to stay out of the sand trap - or maybe I should get out some other way because I put myself there. I enjoy the game a lot, but it amazes me how many whiners there are in the sport. I play with several people in league who don't agree with playing safeties and get mad when you do so. Where does it end. Geez Louise!! ------- Oh, now the rack is toooo tight??!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!

I think we should keep the sport fun - teach people how to use the equipment that's allowed - and try to grow the sport by appealing to younger folks.

I'm sporty with shorty. I still wish it wasn't part of the game.

https://youtu.be/nI2RNpJlh3w?t=967 BU Test

JC

Last edited:

ranrefael

Registered
I wonder what a basketball player would say

I wonder what a basketball player would say
The hoop is too low, it's too easy to dunk, and it's too wide too, the ball goes in too easy.. we should raise the hoop by 3 ft and make it super tight.

The only reason I like watching pool is to see good break and nice run out, I love watching a player jump a ball with a jump cue... I hate watching players like Earl crying about the game and complaining that it's too easy for the other guy to beat them

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Masse shots have been in the game for centuries. The ball stays on the table.

I commonly play off the rail, to hop the cue ball on the air to clear a problem in One Pocket or 8-ball. Is this also a problem? The ball definitely goes in the air and it is a legal stroke/hit.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious this post went on so long and has more or less only been about jump shots. Is this because advocating against tight racks was too ridiculous to entertain? So as to contribute, my opinion on jump cues is that I don't care. I jump great. I kick ok too. Against pros I'd rather be able to jump, against amateurs I'd rather it not be allowed. That is what benefits me the most. But philosophically, I'm happy with either rules. As for tight racks, of course I want any rack I break to be tight, or any rack I offer to an opponent. That seems like a strange thing to even consider.

KMRUNOUT

2andOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.... the way it used to be.[/QUOTE]

yeah. lets use clay balls and slow cloth also. they are just tools. just like anything they take practice to use. a jump cue by itself doesn't make the game easier without knowing how to use it.

chainsaw

Registered
jump cues and loose racks

Nothing wrong with a jump cue. To use it correctly and effectively you must practice that along with all the other techniques you practice. As far as loose racks Shame on you for not checking before you break that the rack is loose.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One comment that was made was that jumping was too easy. In theory, kicking is way easier. Now hear me out before people come after me with pitch forks. There are people that don't have the stroke to successfully jump. Most players do have the stroke and with the right fundamentals, it is easy to jump. However, the players who don't have the stroke to jump, can easily kick since kicking is just like any other pool stroke. Also, it is harder to jump and make a ball and draw half table to get shape. Once someone knows the diamond system or any other kicking system, its relatively easy to kick. Its easier to do a 5 rail kick shot then to jump and draw half table. So for those that say jumping is too easy, kicking is way easier.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One comment that was made was that jumping was too easy. In theory, kicking is way easier. Now hear me out before people come after me with pitch forks. There are people that don't have the stroke to successfully jump. Most players do have the stroke and with the right fundamentals, it is easy to jump. However, the players who don't have the stroke to jump, can easily kick since kicking is just like any other pool stroke. Also, it is harder to jump and make a ball and draw half table to get shape. Once someone knows the diamond system or any other kicking system, its relatively easy to kick. Its easier to do a 5 rail kick shot then to jump and draw half table. So for those that say jumping is too easy, kicking is way easier.

What about the shots that a kick shot is not an option, but jumping is? Some safeties will not allow any path to the OB, but the jump may be relatively easy.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about the shots that a kick shot is not an option, but jumping is? Some safeties will not allow any path to the OB, but the jump may be relatively easy.

What I was referencing was the skill to perform those shots. Anyone can hit a ball into rails while not everyone can jump a ball. Yes there will be times where a kick shot isn't easy but that wasn't what I was talking about.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On second thought, I think we should do away with the lights over the table and add start using night vision goggles by Digi.com.