Light - Before or After Table

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just moved into a new house and i am having my pool table moved from my old house next week. same guy will also set it up and re-cover it. i also need to have the light installed by an electrician. i originally planned on getting the table in there first so it would be easier to center the light over it. this would mean the guy installing the light would be standing on the table to do the work. just wondering if this could knock any of the slates out of level or not. the table is an olhausen 8' with all 3 slated screwed down to the base. thanks guys.

Skess

Another sidearmer...
Silver Member
I would recommend putting the light in first if at all possible. I didn't and it was a major pain in the butt getting the light in afterwards. If you do some careful measuring, you should be able to get the light centered without the table there.

Good luck! Hope it all works out for you.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All you have to do is get the measurements of the table. The electrician can then use that to put "the table" where you want it, and center the light over where the table will be. Believe me, the electrician will thank you!

(You can set little blocks or something on the floor at the right measurements to get the simulated table right where you want it. That way, you can visualize where it will be.)

Or tape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
(You can set little blocks or something on the floor at the right measurements to get the simulated table right where you want it. That way, you can visualize where it will be.)

Use blue painters tape and mark yourself a pattern on the floor of the exact outside dimensions of the table. This will not only help you to center your light, but it will give you a good idea how the furniture/walls, etc. are going to affect your playing conditions. After you get the tape down where you want the table, use a plumb line dropped down from the ceiling to the exact center of the pattern on the floor. Then mark the spot where the line is on your ceiling and you know where to center your light.

Maniac

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just went through this with my table. I installed the light first. Here was the easiest way I found...

Figure out where you want the table, and mark an x on the floor for dead center of table. Take a plumb bob and get that center mark onto the ceiling. Now you know where to hang the exact center of the light.

Worked great for me.

Ian

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
i just moved into a new house and i am having my pool table moved from my old house next week. same guy will also set it up and re-cover it. i also need to have the light installed by an electrician. i originally planned on getting the table in there first so it would be easier to center the light over it. this would mean the guy installing the light would be standing on the table to do the work. just wondering if this could knock any of the slates out of level or not. the table is an olhausen 8' with all 3 slated screwed down to the base. thanks guys.

If you have the light installed afterward, it's a simple matter to just cover the table with a drop cloth and use a couple of 5' 2X12's set crossways on the table (with towels to protect the table) to straddle the slate.

I've always hung my own lights and done my own electrical. It's not difficult if you use conduit (I'm old school) and have an existing light switch to connect to.

Chris

Last edited:

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I did mine exactly as Chris did and it worked out just fine.. Would not recommend stepping directly on the bed of the table but using a couple of boards across the rails worked just fine on my Diamond Pro.. YMMV.

If you have the light installed afterward, it's a simple matter to just cover the table with a drop cloth and use a couple of 5' 2X12's set crossways on the table (with towels to protect the table) to straddle the slate.

I've always hung my own lights and done my own electrical. It's not difficult if you use conduit (I'm old school) and have an existing light switch to connect to.

Chris

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
all great ideas, thanks. i never thought of marking it off in tape, thats what ill go and then find dead ceter and "X" it. i would have like to have done it myself but its a little more involved than im willing to do. the room has just 1 recessed light in it and its close to a wall. not sure why it was set up this way, but a hole will have to be drilled in the cieling and wire ran from the one existing light to it. i can easily screw that up myself.