Light recommendations for home use

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am in the process of building a home and will finally be able to fit my 9 foot pool table. Right now I am struggling with what light to buy.
Based on friends and what I have read I should go with at least a 4 shade light since it's a 9.

Not looking to break the bank but I don't mind spending for quality.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Here's an example of something I like but can't find it in 4 shade:
http://www.ozonebilliards.com/52-po...vo-glass-shade-with-bronze-glaze-lp-ds45.html

Thanks,
Koop

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I am in the process of building a home and will finally be able to fit my 9 foot pool table. Right now I am struggling with what light to buy.
Based on friends and what I have read I should go with at least a 4 shade light since it's a 9.

Not looking to break the bank but I don't mind spending for quality.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Here's an example of something I like but can't find it in 4 shade:
http://www.ozonebilliards.com/52-po...vo-glass-shade-with-bronze-glaze-lp-ds45.html

Thanks,
Koop

The Diamond wood framed light may be the best out there. But new, they might break your budget (@ $1K?). But if you could find a used one, with all the pool halls closing, you might get lucky.

When's opening day party at Chez Koop? :grin-square:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Diamond wood framed light may be the best out there. But new, they might break your budget (@ $1K?). But if you could find a used one, with all the pool halls closing, you might get lucky.

When's opening day party at Chez Koop? :grin-square:

Thanks, bud.

LOL...sometime after the New Year it's looking like.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If at all possible try to get a fluorescent light. They cover the table surface better than the 3 or 4 bulb designs.

Since you are still building out the space, perhaps an option for you is permanent fluorescent fixtures built into the ceiling, that would be equivalent or maybe even more bulbs than what is in the Diamond fixture.

If budget is super tight but you are handy, you can go to Home Depot and buy $100 worth of fluorescent fixtures and build a wood box around them.

Good luck.

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a used diamond light. Before that I had 2 4ft shop lights from lowes screwed together long way the Lowes route is short money and the light worked fine just make sure to get the right color bulbs.

You might be able to order an 8 footer from an Electric supply. The light is basically the same quality just not as nice looking as the diamond light

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I wouldn't know what to buy .... but I hope to have my light built within a few weeks .... it's only taken about a year so far.

Good luck with the light Dave.

Dave <-- the other Dave, and occasionally the Saskatoon Snail

oldroller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lowes

or Home depot ceiling mount 4 ft. light hang on chains with screw in eye hooks.Lots of light & reasonable

No glass

I would avoid glass shades at all costs. Even if you are the one guy who has never banged their shaft by accident against the light fixture, I'm sure the folks who might play on your home table can't say the same. Can you imagine how difficult it is to pick glass shards off the cloth?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, bud.

LOL...sometime after the New Year it's looking like.

sweet. KK9 can pick me up on the way thru DC.

I got a 4' hanging florescent from home despot. Wish I had gotten the 8'er, but the lighting is decent. was like $40.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sweet. KK9 can pick me up on the way thru DC.

I got a 4' hanging florescent from home despot. Wish I had gotten the 8'er, but the lighting is decent. was like $40.

Thanks, man. I'll check it out.
The more the merrier!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Diamond 4X8 foot light. Freaking huge.

IMO, its the best available. But it isnt available from Diamond but is on secondary market.

I paid $400 for mine in Louisville, found on craigslist.

Maybe some of these more savvy computer guys can tell you how do a search of bigger area than one city...I cant help there.

Ken

RadicalOne

PBIA Certified Instructor
Silver Member
Table light options

I agree - if you can get a florescent "box" type light - do it. Much more even lighting overall - especially with a diffuser.

However, I didn't have this option and I went with a 4 light setup with my 9' table... BUT I recently switched to a very bright LED light bulb that send out a very cool (non yellow) and bright white light.

The bulbs can be a bit pricey, but the quality of light over CFL is soooo much better.

Good luck and post pics when done!

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Four, 4 ft., T8's, per each four foot fixture. Not glamorous, but it gives off tons of even light. 78" from the floor as Diamond reccomends.

Wire protective grid, doesn't cause eye strain as the critics would have you believe, and they're even wired with a cord and plug. C. $49 @ Depot.

Any light drop off you think you may perceive is due to the inverse square rule pertaining to the light source's distance from the front of the camera lens. I get no short rail drop off or ball shadows of any consequence since the lamps cover the entirety of the 9' table's length. They stop right over my cushions.

I think an 8' X 6' board ran c. $15. Miscellaneous S hooks, eye bolts, and a replacement 90 lb. test roll of chain c. $15. 5100 Kelvin lamps I bought in a 12 pack. Maybe c. $25; I can't recall.

I post this only to show what you can expect by using this setup. Not for an artistically decorated "Billiard Room", but if you want lumens for the buck, I don't think this can be beaten. I thought eye strain or eye glare might be a problem, but it hasn't for me or anyone else who's played.

My most important piece of advice is to install your light before you do your table. Not only do you obviously not want to stand or kneel on your table, but you'll also find yourself trying to measure and install in a half crouched position. Check with your carpenter and master electrician frequently during this phase and things will go much more easily.

Here's the fixture: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...y-Shoplight-1284GRD-RE/202968125#.Uk31v9KsiSo

DSC_1034.jpg

Last edited:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
If at all possible try to get a fluorescent light. They cover the table surface better than the 3 or 4 bulb designs.

Since you are still building out the space, perhaps an option for you is permanent fluorescent fixtures built into the ceiling, that would be equivalent or maybe even more bulbs than what is in the Diamond fixture.

If budget is super tight but you are handy, you can go to Home Depot and buy $100 worth of fluorescent fixtures and build a wood box around them.

Good luck.

I like this idea but would the hundred dollar light play as well as the thousand dollar one? :slap:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought my traditional light when I bought my table, back before I joined this place. It looks nice in the room, but those Diamond lights are ten times better to play under. That light diffusing grid is a big factor. You can buy that stuff and get 8' fluorescent fixtures at a lighting specialty store and then build your own. I'll get around to doing it myself some day, but for now mine (barely) does the job.