Long Overdue Thank You to Mr. Byrne

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Last night as I was helping a friend I was reminded of the best information I think I have ever received on the game of pool.

About 20 years ago I read Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards. The lesson which stuck with me was about the physics pertaining to the tangent line. Knowing what was really happening, opened my eyes to a lot of things I was doing/perceiving incorrectly.

Thank you Mr. Byrne!!

I would love to hear of other's experiences utilizing Mr. Byrne's books!

Ken

Last edited:

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member
Ditto!

I too learned from Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards. I never knew what was possible to do with the cue ball (spins, throws, etc.) until I read this book and followed the diagrams.

Thank you also Mr. Byrne!

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I have his set on VHS and it was some of the most useful information on the game I had ever learned. Anyone that missed that set missed some great information , especially in their first few years of play. I would recommend it above anything for those players.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last night as I was helping a friend I was reminded of the best information I think I have ever received on the game of pool.

About 20 years ago I read Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards. The lesson which stuck with me was about the physics pertaining to the tangent line. Knowing what was really happening, opened my eyes to a lot of things I was doing/perceiving incorrectly.

Thank you Mr. Byrne!!

I would love to hear of other's experiences utilizing Mr. Byrne's books!

Ken
Robert Byrne's stuff was certainly an inspiration for all of the work I have done.

He has a solid understanding of everything and has a unique ability to express concepts in concise, understandable, and entertaining ways. I've always respected (and envied) his instructional writing style.

Good thread,
Dave

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Robert Byrne's stuff was certainly an inspiration for all of the work I have done.

He has a solid understanding of everything and has a unique ability to express concepts in concise, understandable, and entertaining ways. I've always respected (and envied) his instructional writing style.

Good thread,
Dave

You hit the nail on the head when you reference his "instructional writing style"! He seems to deliver the perfect balance of science and art in his teachings.

Good posts so far guys!

Ken

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned initially from Ray Martin's 99 Critical Shots. My next major reference was Byrne's books, which for me took things to another level. I literally went page by page and worked on each shot and concept and made notes when something was completed. Did the same thing in the 3 cushion section years later when I started playing that.

The research he did and the way he presented everything was great, just a great style throughout all of his books. I highly recommend them today to anyone looking to better their game.

Scott

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I haven't read the his book yet, but I'll put it on my Christmas list if you say it references the physics of what's happening with the cue ball. I'm not into heavy-duty physics, but enjoy the layman's variety.

Dr. Dave's slow-motion videos of spin effects just made so many things clearer for me.

Everyone's mind works in its own unique way. Mine likes to know and see the physical effects.

El-ahrairah

Banned
He does some really good commentary on 3 cushion too. Very knowledgeable overall. Youtube has a lot of his stuff. Can I say that here?

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
I learned initially from Ray Martin's 99 Critical Shots. My next major reference was Byrne's books, which for me took things to another level. I literally went page by page and worked on each shot and concept and made notes when something was completed. Did the same thing in the 3 cushion section years later when I started playing that.

The research he did and the way he presented everything was great, just a great style throughout all of his books. I highly recommend them today to anyone looking to better their game.

Scott

I followed this same course of study! Martin then Byrne.

I'm embarassed to say it, but the Byrne books ("Std Book" and "350 Shots") sat on the back of my toilet for years. Made for great reading in large or small doses.

For some reason, the "Double Kiss" lesson was one that stuck with me. It got me into and - to a lesser degree - out of many arguments through the years!

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I joined the US Army in 1979 it was a lonely time in my life. First time away from my family. Ever. I wandered into a library and stumbled upon the Standard Book Of Pool And Billiards and it changed my life.

Well...it changed the "recreation" part of my life...pool is still a game to me. ;)

I was in awe at the intricate technical drawings. I emailed the author once asking if I could use his table drawing. He sent me an eloquent response, the history of how the book came to be, and how carefully he chose an illustrator. In the end, we agreed, I would create my own (which was simple to do but nowhere near as nice!). :)

I still have my original, hard cover copy of the book. It's beat to hell, but it's the most important book I own. I'll never sell it, but I might give it away one day (not that it's worth anything LOL).

Mr. Byrne, I want to thank you for showing the world that a book as precise as an engineering manual can be created, in a way that is fun to read and easy to follow. You're a class act, best wishes!

Poolmouse

Curt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, you're not the only one. I also have them & found them to be a great help years ago. Phil Capelle's books are also very well written

EagleMan

Banned
Dam, am I the only one with the videos?

Nope. I'm quite sure I own every product he has published in every form. Absolutely Hall of Fame stuff in pool instruction.

And the man could PLAY. From beating his gas meter reader out of 85 cents at the age of 12 to...

Champion...National Senior Billiard Tournament in 1999

National Professional Three-Cushion Championship (3rd) 1977 and 4th in 1968

He is also a noted magician...and could probably pick your pocket in more ways than one!!!

And his book...McGoorty, The Story of a Billiard Bum...republished a couple of times with slightly different titles is a CLASSIC.

(-:

FELIX

YA GATTA POST
Silver Member
Bob Byrne

I heard these were good instruction books , I am going to order one .

Now if I could only read. :( Best to ya Rob

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... And the man could PLAY. ...
He invited me into his garage one time in the 1980s for some straight pool and ran a quick 50 on me. He also ran his age at 70 which was his high run at the time. Three or four years ago (at 77?) he beat me like a rented mule in a 3-cushion tournament in MPLS. So, I'd say he can still play.

Joe T

Add me to the list! While in the rec room at Ft Benning Ga armed with my 5 piece cue and Bob Bynres book I drew the cue ball back to the side rail with low left and watched in amazement as the cb spun down to the middle of the end rail. HOLY something was my response ;) Thanks Bob.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Add me to the list! While in the rec room at Ft Benning Ga armed with my 5 piece cue and Bob Bynres book I drew the cue ball back to the side rail with low left and watched in amazement as the cb spun down to the middle of the end rail. HOLY something was my response ;) Thanks Bob.

Shot number 10 in his position practice game!

The best about Bob's writing is how his one little, simple example of a shot encompasses so many principles of how balls move. It is easy to overlook the value of what is in each page/shot if you're in a hurry.

Take the time to study each one, try it out, and practice it for a while until the principles "stick." imho

Jeff Livingston

Mooneye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After playing pool for 30+ years I bought Byrnes' books and series of videos. I think they are the best instructional material produced. Simple, clear and concise. My understanding of the game improved dramatically as I went through them. He influenced me to the extent that I purchased a cue a cue similar to his, and I love it!

I really appreciate Bob's work and thank him for it.

Larry Moore

ROGJR

Registered
Bob Byrne's videos were my first lessons in pool playing. I went on to get several videos on VHS (long ago). I recently re-watched his gamebreakers dvd. It's a nice collection of "must know" tactics. Byrne's theories are how I like to pass on my knowledge of pool.