Looking to put myself on a waiting list.. advice

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

I'm looking to put myself on aa waiting list for a new cue. It has to be a waiting list of 2 years or more. I am interested in cues from the following cue makers.

1) Tascarella
2) Hercek
3) Tim Scruggs
4) SouthWest
5) Showman

My questions are these..
1) Which of these cue makers has a waiting list between 2 and 5 years?
2) I am looking for a 4 point simple traditional looking cue with veneers and ringwork.. my price range is $2000 to $4000... is that not possible with any of these cue makers?
3) How much is the deposit? I don't have a ton of cash upfront so what is the downpayment required..

I'll probably end up calling and speaking with them directly soon but I wanted a good idea before I called..

Thanks!

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
From my understanding you can take Southwest off that list as you will be waiting longer than you want.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

I'm looking to put myself on aa waiting list for a new cue. It has to be a waiting list of 2 years or more. I am interested in cues from the following cue makers.

1) Tascarella
2) Hercek
3) Tim Scruggs
4) SouthWest
5) Showman

My questions are these..
2) I am looking for a 4 point simple traditional looking cue with veneers and ringwork.. my price range is $2000 to $4000... is that not possible with any of these cue makers?
3) How much is the deposit? I don't have a ton of cash upfront so what is the downpayment required..

I'll probably end up calling and speaking with them directly soon but I wanted a good idea before I called..

Thanks!
southwest makes a good cue but you can't go wrong with scruggs either. i'd go with the scruggs though!

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know length of waiting list.. starting prices for a 4 point 4 veneer cue (i could estimate up from there .. shafts, joint, rings, inlays , etc)... and amount for a deposit?

those are the things I'm most interested in.. thanks

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last I knew, Southwest had a 9 year wait. I've always understood Tim Scruggs to be the shortest wait of those you've listed but I'm not sure at this time. The demand for all of these is very high.

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, seems like SW is out.

Most interested in Tasc and Hercek and whether either of them would build me a cue under 4K.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

1) Tascarella
2) Hercek
3) Tim Scruggs
4) SouthWest
5) Showman

My questions are these..

Thanks!

I can tell you that Joel Hercek is about a 7 year wait, within your price range, and he requires nothing but your contact information to begin with.
He will only ask for a deposit when he is ready to begin building.

joel@hercek.com

Regards,
Koop

Last edited:

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Although wait times depend on a number of things and are not in stone, I would suggest you go with Tascarella, Scruggs, or Showman. Hercek and Southwest will be too long.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You want a traditional cue? Who better to make it than Tascarella. Their basic 4 pointers start @2500 with about a 4 year wait. For the 4k mark you could get some inlays and such.

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You want a traditional cue? Who better to make it than Tascarella. Their basic 4 pointers start @2500 with about a 4 year wait. For the 4k mark you could get some inlays and such.

I think that is exactly the plan. I gave Pete a call but a woman told me to call back tomorrow haha...

I've been wrestling with it and I've always wanted a Tasc so why settle.

I'm hoping I can get a 4 point, 4 veneer cue with a leather wrap, ivory ferrules and joint, maybe a hoppe ring, for about 4K...

Going to call back tomorrow.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I can't help but laugh and find these waits utterly ridiculious. I would never wait more than 1 year for a cue.

To the OP - are you wanting a minimum of a 2 year wait so you have time to save up the money?

Reactions: LC3

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my experience

Tascarella- delivery time for my cue was almost 4 years. Put a 500.00 deposit.

SW - got on list back in 2002 still waiting...

Hercek on list in 2003 still waiting...

Showman- on list 2002- paid 25% deposit. still waiting...

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't help but laugh and find these waits utterly ridiculious. I would never wait more than 1 year for a cue.

To the OP - are you wanting a minimum of a 2 year wait so you have time to save up the money?

Ya, I already maxed out my pool and golf purchases for the year.. I'd love one of these classic customs in the future but I do need a year or two to save up the cash.

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tascarella- delivery time for my cue was almost 4 years. Put a 500.00 deposit.

SW - got on list back in 2002 still waiting...

Hercek on list in 2003 still waiting...

Showman- on list 2002- paid 25% deposit. still waiting...

Wow, sounds like the other 3 are out and I should get a hold of Tascarella immediately. You should have a lot of nice cues coming your way in the very near future though Congrats

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update Joel Hercek

Joel called me back and informed me that he stopped taking orders last year. He says he makes roughly 30 cues a year and has a 20+ year wait list.

Guess I can scratch him off the list. Sounds like a very nice man and very professional.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joel called me back and informed me that he stopped taking orders last year. He says he makes roughly 30 cues a year and has a 20+ year wait list.

Guess I can scratch him off the list. Sounds like a very nice man and very professional.

HOLY CRAP....

Koop - thankful I got on in 05.

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) Tascarella
2) Hercek
3) Tim Scruggs
4) SouthWest
5) Showman

My questions are these..

1) I've been told that Tascarella is about 5 years, $2500 base 4 point cue, and don't know about a deposit to get on the list.
2) You already got info from Joel.
3) Scruggs is about 12 - 18 months from what I heard, don't know the base price or deposit.
4) SW is way longer than you are looking for. They don't make 4 point cues to my knowledge.
5) When I got on John Showman's list in 2005 I was quoted January 2011 delivery. I wouldn't be surprised if that wait time has not increased. I don't know John's current pricing, but I believe he gets a 25% deposit to lock in the quote at the current price.

Sorry I couldn't add more information.

Scott

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys.

I was told by a few people to have the cue in mind (woods, inlays, veneers, and all) when I called Pete.

Here is what I'm thinking so far:

Fullsplice cue with purpleheart, braz rosewood, or coco.. in that order depending on what he will do.

If purpleheart points .. 4 veneers - natural, green, black, purple (inside to outside)
If rosewood points .. 4 veneers - green, orange, double black

big block bushka ringwork above the wrap... sort of like this http://www.erikleecues.com/omega6a.jpg
except with purple heart or rosewood inside the blocks next to the ivory blocks

smooth leather wrap (not sure of color yet) - probably black if purpleheart, dark brown if rosewood

Ivory hoppe ring with 4 veneer colored rings right above the ivory
ivory collar, ivory ferrules
19 oz.

Any suggestions or comments?

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It wont be full splice with a "Bushka" ring above the wrap.

Ive never seen a Tascarella with Purpleheart points

Ivory collar (joint) - will it be Flat-faced, Piloted or Sleeved over a steel joint?

Sharp looking cue, but I wouldnt do colored veneers over a Hoppe ring. I like colored veneers over a full white delrin butt cap.