Louie Roberts 1979 U.S. Open

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terry-

I pvt'ed you this, but in case you don't check:

If you're willing to make photocopies and send or fax them to me, I'll make electronic copies so that people can have access to them. Or if there are too many pages, you can send the original copies. Scouts honor that I'll return them in tact!

I'm a big fan of record/statistics/history so I'd love not only to take on the project but also to see all of the information myself!

Let me know

SPW

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terry Ardeno said:
JohnnyP,
It was in 1971 when Ray Martin beat, among others, Irving Crane, Luther Lassiter & Joe Balsis to win the 1971 World 14.1 (Invitational) Tournament in Los Angeles. It was promoted by Fred Whalen. Martin was 10-1 in that tournament, his 1st of 3 World 14.1 Championships. His only loss that tournament was to Cicero Murphy. First prize was $5,000.00. BTW, an earthquake (not McCready) happened during that tournament.
I believe that event --as well as most of the Fred Whalen/Tiff Payne events-- was held at the L.A. Elks Lodge near MacArthur Park. I was there for the '69 and '70 tournaments. The tournament room was upstairs.

Doc

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
Thank you my friend...

This is just excellent. I will update my info and possibly include all 4 positions. I will have to use another format but at least my project will be concluded. A million thanks to you my friend.

Terry Ardeno said:
juegabillar said:
I have tried to compile all the information about past winners and runner-ups of the US Open, and I'm getting there; however, I am missing several of the runner-ups

juegabillar,
Thank you & the others who all posted responses on this. My pontificating on my previous reply left no room for the info you were looking for.
This is the list of who was 2nd, 3rd & 4th place in each of the U.S.Open 9 ball tournaments. To save space, I'll leave out the winner since you have that.
78- Rempe, Lassiter & Sigel
80-Martin, Jerry Brock & Bobby Williams
81-Sigel, Bollman & Clyde Childress
82-Zuglan, Reid & Munson
83-Howard, Mizerak & Rempe
84-Sigel, Toby Sweet & Mizerak
85-LeBron, Reyes & Wade Crane
86-Hopkins, Varner & Sigel
87-Rempe, Sigel& Jay SWanson
88-Varner, Hopkins & Bollman
89-Davenport, Sigel & Hall
90-Archer, Sigel & Incardona.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
gulfportdoc said:
I believe that event --as well as most of the Fred Whalen/Tiff Payne events-- was held at the L.A. Elks Lodge near MacArthur Park. I was there for the '69 and '70 tournaments. The tournament room was upstairs.

Doc

I was a ref. Got paid $5 a match. The hardest part was keeping score on the high runs and not losing count, while the player took his time between shots. I had to keep saying the number over and over to myself in my head.

Frank McGown was brutal. He could take 5-10 minutes for one shot. A 125 point match might last several hours. Let's see at $5, four hours, thats a buck and a quarter an hour. Nice pay if you can get it.

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
My info on the 1990 US Open had Mike Sigel as runner-up; however you have Archer, with Sigel placing 3rd. I do remember reading a clipping from 1990 on Strickland that Archer had failed in 2 previous attempts to the title; therefore it seems that my info is incorrect and since I do not have Archer placing 2nd in other US Opens, I have to assume that your info is correct. I'll try to find that web article I'm talking about. Anyway thanks for all the remaining info.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
1pocket said:
OnePocket.org has been doing that for One Pocket and Bank Pool events.
The One Pocket winners and runners-up are here
The Bank Pool records are not as complete, but what I have so far is http://onepocket.org/Bank-Records.htm.

The BCA doesn't appear to really recognize either One Pocket or Banks tournaments, which is why I started those two "Record Books".

Anyone who has any info to add, or photos or posters or other graphics from One Pocket or Banks events, please contact me!

I have a few stray 9-ball and straight pool programs in my collection too, which I would very happily trade for something One Pocket or Banks related of comparable value :)

Here's a little known tidbit: in 1979 there were actually two US Open tournaments (both promoted by Barry B as such) -- and they both included One Pocket!

Unfortunately, that was pretty much the end of multidiscipline tournaments, as the PPPA (remember them?) pushed hard for short term events, casting a death knell on the formerly popular "all-around" format until the Derby City Classic came along and successfully revived the concept. At least that is my take...

Thanks Steve. All credit to Greg Sullivan for Derby City, but in 1993 I produced an All Around tourney in L.A. that attracted a stellar field in Banks, One Pocket and 9-Ball, and paid out over $140,000 in prize money.
Mark Tadd pocketed 26K!

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
Found the info about Archer. It was a 1994 article in the Virginian-Pilot:

THE VIRGINIAN-PILOT
Copyright (c) 1994, Landmark Communications, Inc.

DATE: Tuesday, September 20, 1994 TAG: 9409200455
SECTION: SPORTS PAGE: C3 EDITION: FINAL
SOURCE: BY BILL LEFFLER, STAFF WRITER
DATELINE: CHESAPEAKE LENGTH: Medium: 52 lines

STRICKLAND DEFENDS 9-BALL TITLE STARTING WEDNESDAY
World champion Earl Strickland begins defense of his U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship Wednesday at the Holiday Inn-Chesapeake as he faces a field of 88.

Strickland, a three-time winner of the Open, defeated Tony ``Hurricane'' Ellin in last year's finale. The runner-up also is back.

Final day action of the $72,500 tournament on Sunday will be shown on tape-delay telecast by ESPN in three showings in December.

Strickland, from Greensboro, N.C., calls the Open ``the hardest tournament in the whole world to win.''

Added Strickland: ``I know, because I've played 'em all over the world.''

The first prize will be $20,000, largest ever given in the Open.

Eighteen of the 20 leaders in the Pro Billiards Tour rankings this year have entered. Only No. 4 Mike Sigel and No. 14 Jeff Carter are not competing.

Among the contenders are a host of former Open champions, including Tom Kennedy (1992) of Lakeland, Fla., Buddy ``Rifleman'' Hall (1991) of Metropolis, Ill., Nick Varner (1990 and 1989) of Owensboro, Ky., Mike Lebron (1988) of Philadelphia, David Howard (1986 and 1982) of Jacksonville, Fla., Jimmy Reid (1985) of Lake Worth, Fla., Allen Hopkins (1981 and 1977) of Pomona. N. J. and Steve Mizerak (1978) of Edison, N. J.

Strickland's other Open wins came in 1987 and 1984. In rankings for the past 12 months through the World 9-Ball Championship, Strickland again stands No. 1. Johnny Archer is No. 2 and Varner No. 3. Varner is 1, Strickland 2 and Archer 3 in rankings for 1994 events.

Archer, 9-ball world champion last year, has never won the Open. He has finished second twice. Here last year he lost to Sigel in an exciting semifinal match, 11-10, as Sigel ran the table.

Every Open winner since the inception of the tournament 19 years ago except three-time champion Sigel (1983, 1980 and 1976) and the late Louis Roberts, the 1979 champion, are here.

There are 11 foreigners in the field - five Canadians, four from the Philippines and two from Australia. Also entered are Mark Jarvis and Rodney Morris from Hawaii.

Action starts Wednesday at 11:30 a.m.

Matinee matches are also scheduled at 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. Evening matches will be at 7, 9 and 11 p.m.

A tournament pass costs $70. Admission is $6 for the matinee and $8 for the evening matches. VIP tickets are $10 for the matinee, $12 for the evening and $100 for the tournament.

Alaskin Assasin

Fisher Cues
Silver Member
correction Needed:

97, Reyes, Parica (not Luat), Horsfall

Terry Ardeno said:
juegabillar said:
I have tried to compile all the information about past winners and runner-ups of the US Open, and I'm getting there; however, I am missing several of the runner-ups

CONTINUED from last post....
1991-Hatch, Archer & Grady Mathews
1992-Archer, Parica & Hall
1993-Ellin, Sigel & Archer
1994-Varner, Ellin & Kennedy
1995-Reyes, Archer & Bustamonte
1996-Reyes, Luat & Varner
1997-Reyes, Luat & John Horsfall
1998-Tang Hoa, Immonen & Kunihiko Takahashi
1999-Jeremy Jones, Luat & Davenport
2000-Takeshi Okumura, Bustamonte & Luat
2001-Immonen, Parica & Strickland
2002-Pagulayan, Strickland & Morris
2003-Parica, McCready & Morris
2004-Hohmann, Feijen & Deuel
2005Parica, Bustamonte & Strickland
2006-Luat, Owen & Broxson

I left their 1st names to save space. If you need anything esle on this, let me know.
Your friend,Terry-

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1pocket said:
I have the program for that event :)

Great! What was the location and date? Wayne Norcross would appreciate that information, too. He's the TD at Danny K's and was a straight pool champ from that era. He seems to think that it was held in Vegas in March. No money on it, but it would be nice to know who is right.

Don't know how I heard about the event, but my uncle fixed me up with a gal, and I took her to watch pool.

I had just left the service, after being stationed in Norfolk for a few years. I played quite a bit at St. Elmo's, where the regulars "introduced" me to Wimpy. They talked me into asking "that old man, sitting in the chair" for a game.

Anyone from Norfolk about that time? My nickname was "Sailorboy". No threat. I kept Sam Bass in beer money every week, while he was "teaching" me straight pool. Seems like everyone had a nickname, except Sam. There was Carolina, the proprieter, "Cash" McCall, Onionhead Red, old Red, Cab Driver. Can't remember any others. There were a couple pool sharks I went around with, one named Bobby, can't remember the other one. He and I were going to split our take playing on the bar tables downtown one night. We were hitting a few balls before leaving for the bars, and he stopped me as I went into what is now called a pre-shot routine, telling me don't stroke your cue like that out there.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Alaskin Assasin said:
correction Needed:

97, Reyes, Parica (not Luat), Horsfall

Alaskin Assasin,
Thanks for catching and correcting my typo. I don't have a scanner so I typed all of that from my master sheet and I don't know how I copied that wrong. It was Parica instead of Luat. Sorry for the mess up.
Good job in spotting it.
Terry

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
juegabillar said:
This is just excellent. I will update my info and possibly include all 4 positions. I will have to use another format but at least my project will be concluded. A million thanks to you my friend.

Harold,
Did you read the post by Alaskin Assasin? I had copied down Luat instead of Parica when I was typing from my main sheet. I guess I was going too fast and somehow looked at the year before when I glanced back at the list.
I am very sorry for my sloppiness in copying the list for you.
And thanks for the kind words in your post!
Terry

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Thanks Steve. All credit to Greg Sullivan for Derby City, but in 1993 I produced an All Around tourney in L.A. that attracted a stellar field in Banks, One Pocket and 9-Ball, and paid out over $140,000 in prize money.
Mark Tadd pocketed 26K!
Yes you did -- with Steve Cook nipping Mark in the One Pocket division, thus preventing what would have been the first ever sweep of a major all around event -- Mark must have really been on fire that week!

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
Terry Ardeno said:
juegabillar said:

Harold,
Did you read the post by Alaskin Assasin? I had copied down Luat instead of Parica when I was typing from my main sheet. I guess I was going too fast and somehow looked at the year before when I glanced back at the list.
I am very sorry for my sloppiness in copying the list for you.
And thanks for the kind words in your post!
Terry

Got it. I receive emails from every thread I'm subscribed to. Changes already made. Thanks.

billiard dave 7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of those guys ended up at Barry Behrmans Q-Masters in Norfolk. Shorty Dean, Joe Nemi, John The Barber, Plummy Parish, Portsmouth Red, White Rock, Dave Bollman, Eddie Knight, Bozo and too many others to remember.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Steve Mizerak got 2nd place.

In the tournament Louie also beat David Howard, Dallas West & Mike Sigel.

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
watchez said:
Steve Mizerak got 2nd place.

In the tournament Louie also beat David Howard, Dallas West & Mike Sigel.
So it was Louie Roberts and Steve Mizerak for the 1979 finals? Right?
Dont you have anything on the 1976 and 1977 runner-ups?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
juegabillar said:
So it was Louie Roberts and Steve Mizerak for the 1979 finals? Right?
Dont you have anything on the 1976 and 1977 runner-ups?

Yes correct. I dont know about 76 or 77. I have a friend that was best friends with Louie & he has a poster from the event with the results on it. That is where I got my information from.

Jay--I heard that back in the late 70's, early 80's they might even have had two US Opens a year. Is that true?

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
watchez said:
Yes correct. I dont know about 76 or 77. I have a friend that was best friends with Louie & he has a poster from the event with the results on it. That is where I got my information from.

Jay--I heard that back in the late 70's, early 80's they might even have had two US Opens a year. Is that true?

watchez,
First, thanks for the info / answer to the original question on this post. We all appreciate your effort. Second, Mike Massey promoted a "U.S. Open 9 ball" tournament of his own but he gave up the idea after a short time. Before the Barry Behrman sponsored US Open 9 ball, an annual 9 ball tournament was held in Bill Staton's old pool room (Jack & Jill's) which was in Arlington, Va. It was called "The Master's". This was in the early & mid 1970's.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Thanks Terry---I believe Louie also won one of those tournaments you are speaking of.