Low deflection, perhaps it isn't so great after all?

where in the heck do SP99 and Lamas live around anyways? I'm in south Louisiana....and still go around from time to time :)

Keebie,

Perhaps I should have used the word "more" back to where it is for the 12.75.

But that said, I do not think your experiment is valid.

The taper on the tip end of both the 29 & 30 inch shafts is the same for both of the 11.75 mm shafts. So it is a full inch of wood at a point between where the conical taper stops & the joint.

I don't know if the extra inch is at the joint location (Which I think it is.) or if it it somewhere else between the joint & where the conical taper starts.

All that I KNOW is that the feel of the balance is back to very much like it is for the longer parallel pro taper of the 12.75 mm tip cue that is 29 inches. That can be felt just by holding the cue with the one hand.

I've said before that some can feel many things that others can not.

Can you feel the cue ball on the end of your cue during contact? I can. It has to do with timing.

There are golfers that hit at the ball & there are golfers that swing through the ball. Two totally different deliveries & two totally different feels of contact.

How long did you study under Mr. Lee?

Best 2 Ya,
Rick.

PS I think Lamas is in Los Angelos & I think SP99 is out of the Country
 
I played with solid maple for almost 20 years before trying as many different brands and styles of "LD" shafts as I could. I can describe the characteristics of each and similarities between difference brands and engineering. I'll scream to the heavens repeating the same shit I've been saying for the past six months. The OB plus Classic & Classic pro shafts are absolutely fantastic.

When I initially tested the original OB construction years ago I thought they were the biggest piles of garbage I had ever laid my eyes on. OB has now created a shaft that hits like solid maple and is also stiff. Although the "LD" properties are not as noticeable as you will find with Predator, I think most people would agree that's a very good thing.

Another poster had mentioned the Jacoby Edge and I would agree the Jacoby shafts also play very well. For me it's more about radial consistency rather than low deflection.

Besides the OB Classic & the the 2 different length OB Pros, I also have a McDermott i2.

It is solid maple that has been cored & has a carbon fiber tube running the full length.

I did find it to be more like a regular maple than the OB classic but I liked the OB Classic better because to me it has a more solid hit & feel.

I know that may sound odd, but ALL maple is not the same.:wink:

Maybe my saying the i2 to be more like regular maple has to do with it having more squirt than the OB Classic, not a whole lot, but more.
 
Last edited:
Beside the OB Classic & the the 2 different length OB Pros, I also have a McDermott i2.

It is solid maple that has been cored & has a carbon fiber tube running the full length.

I did find it to be more like a regular maple than the OB classic but I liked the OB Classic better because to me it has a more solid hit & feel.

I know that may sound odd, but ALL maple is not the same.:wink:

Maybe my saying the i2 to be more like regular maple has to do with it having more squirt than the OB Classic, not a whole lot, but more.
I had a 30" Classic plus turned down to 12.5mm with a 15" Pro-taper (used the same specs on all of my solid maple shafts). From the very first ball I hit until now, I couldn't be happier. You described it exactly the same way I do when explaining the differences to friends. It feels good to shoot through the ball again.

The cue hits hard so I don't have to and it's still so stiff that I can make the cue ball dance as much or as little as is necessary.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
I had a 30" Classic plus turned down to 12.5mm with a 15" Pro-taper (used the same specs on all of my solid maple shafts). From the very first ball I hit until now, I couldn't be happier. You described it exactly the same way I do when explaining the differences to friends. It feels good to shoot through the ball again.

The cue hits hard so I don't have to and it's still so stiff that I can make the cue ball dance as much or as little as is necessary.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Yeah,

You know it's right when you have the feel & see the results & don't give it a thought.

Best 2 Ya,
Rick
 
.
For some strange reason, the guys with the old school standard maple shafts tend to miss the ball in those situations a lot more than the ones with LD shafts. This isn't scientific data, just a trend I've noticed. This is playing on 9' tables.

KMRUNOUT

Diagram the shot (s) and explain what's happening.
 
Keebie,

Perhaps I should have used the word "more" back to where it is for the 12.75.

But that said, I do not think your experiment is valid.

The taper on the tip end of both the 29 & 30 inch shafts is the same for both of the 11.75 mm shafts. So it is a full inch of wood at a point between where the conical taper stops & the joint.that actually makes sense

I don't know if the extra inch is at the joint location (Which I think it is.) or if it it somewhere else between the joint & where the conical taper starts. probably is in joint bf taper

All that I KNOW is that the feel of the balance is back to very much like it is for the longer parallel pro taper of the 12.75 mm tip cue that is 29 inches. That can be felt just by holding the cue with the one hand. balance with both shafts...give us a measurment...

I've said before that some can feel many things that others can not. (of course)

Can you feel the cue ball on the end of your cue during contact? I can. It has to do with timing. never tried to "feel" cb...never had a reason too...once i'm down and take my last "stroke" to the CB where I want to hit it.....i then most often forget completely about said rock all together and let my arm and my cue act as if the CB isnt even there....i honestly could give a hoot about that lol. I dont twist my wrists, pivot my cue or BHE...I drop in on "bullseye"/center of my bridge to where ever I plan on hitting the CB....my arm then knows how fast or slow to swing to do which ever shot I could have....even if the balls are 1/4-1/2" apart....doesn't matter. My hand is only worried about one thing, going to its physical bed where it sleeps after its done working....right on the side of my nipple. By the time my brain would tell me about a "feel" of anything my hands already well past contact and nothing can be done....i'm pretty in touch with my physical self, it is possible I sense what your talking about, its just definately not and never will be a focus of mine....i focus on tip to where it goes and letting that cradle hand fly to its stopping point....i dont even focus on that eiter lmfao...i visualize what i want to do...thats it (if i'm doing anything but visualizing, i'm definately not down on the shot, thats not how a greyone rolls).....been playing over 2 decades and I've never thought of feeling that ball....to each his own tho...I find this pointless for me, but I'm sure it could be helpful for some:grin:

There are golfers that hit at the ball & there are golfers that swing through the ball. Two totally different deliveries & two totally different feels of contact. i'd be a swing through type individual just as i was in baseball and in pool....personally I find more control this way.

How long did you study under Mr. Lee? you mean Scott Lee? I took one lesson with Scott maybe like 7 years ago or so i think. We've always conversed very much though and he usually gives me a shout and comes visit on his way through town....was just here for a few days not even a month ago. Of all the instructors I chat with Scott and Ingo Peter (i talk to ingo quite a bit more) the most.....the teacher I have the most time with though? Eddie Robins....talked to him for hours late at night handful of times a month while i was driving for YEARS!!! you know how the old folks like to stay up with the vampires some times lol. Mostly what I've learned from Scott is a more sports science way of training and teaching etc. That doesn't mean that "cookie cutter" works for everyone....and if a guy is "certified" or not and is only teaching particular things in particular ways without any kind of acknoledgement to a students own needs and physicality like the teachers methods are end all be all....they arent teaching, they are just doing a henry ford and giving them whatever color they want as long as its black

....do i play with an pendulum style like Scott/Randy teach? Yes. Can i teach a proper piston style stroke? Yes. Can I trouble shoot stances and positions? Yes....did I learn most of that from the SPF/PBIA guys? No, most of my knowledge comes from being self aware, paying attention, kinesiology courses and teaching and troubleshooting peoples problems since I was about 15. The rest came from being in Tulsa around the pool army up there and listening and watching.

I learned how to always complete my stroke from scott, I learned some PSR stuff I didn't know back when and some very good drills. Actually fixing to get certified with the SPF/PBIA....why i dont know, not like anyone wants lessons here lol...mostly for the program and further advancement of my knowledge, which is my favorite thing in life...knowing stuff lol

I cant forget Dr. Dave and just azbilliards in general, one pocket.org and the old rsb. forums......i lurked on here for a few years b/f i even signed up and was on onepocket.org basically since close to when it started i believe...met steve booth when I was 18 at gradys gulf coast event matter of fact.

I've learned stuff from many people on the board and using that search function over the past decade.

The main thing I've learned from azbilliards and the Scott Lees of the world is be a student, learn.....know truth from dogma....practice PROPERLY. Thats actually what my moniker "greyghost" is all about in general....im a little rusty with him but I've always held g.g. in higher regard and such than myself...like he's like a sheriff of the game, teacher and ambassador.....the greyone doesn't commit all the errors I do lol, well typing errors he can give me the rainbow lmfao. I'm still getting used to "being the greyghost" again lol....i sure was prolific for some time some years ago, writing on this site :thumbup:

The most difficult part of learning i think is finding what works best for us as individuals....even if you are a "cookie cutter" player, there are still things your going to do in "your" style.....dont always be so focused on what all the sheeple are doing, use your head, think....and do whats best for you even if your best answer is just an educated guess....dont just say things without thinking especially if is just false dogma...which is way too prevalent around the game...false logic really makes people struggle....that doesn't mean we all dont speak out of place from time to time....but never just blurt stuff because ding dong with a smart phone said so like its gospel.

The whole LD thing is one of those things....just because I love it and play well with it. That doesn't mean that you should idolize me and just do what I'm doing blindly......maybe try out some friends cue, instead of spending 200 on something your not sure of. Know that you dont have to go with production to get LD, or have to hollow our shafts for LD, or have laminated tech to make an LD shaft....stuff like that ladies and gents.


-Greyghost
 
Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:thumbup2:

Good Post.

I was going to post more but I realized how off topic we've gone. So I'll PM it.
 
Last edited:
I know that may sound odd, but ALL maple is not the same.:wink:

Funny you mention that. That exact topic was the central subject of conversation between myself & Royce over a period of several years. He had an idea to produce OB shafts from solid maple, but was afraid of inconsistencies, and didn't believe solid maple could be low enough deflection without boring a whole. Furthermore, he wasn't confident he could get a trusty supply of good maple in the quantity a factory would need. Without going into detail, we spoke of the density spectrum, tonal characteristics, literally everything & anything that might complicate mass producing LD shafts from solid maple. If the man wasn't a genius, he was very nearly. Some way or another he secured a supply of quality wood & found a way to mass produce LD shafts from it, with the very intention of bridging the gap between LD guys & solid wood guys.
 
Diagram the shot (s) and explain what's happening.

Pick any long shot of your choice in which the ball must be hit with speed and some english to get back to the other end of the table. A specific shot is not important to the point I was making. All I was saying is that in my observation, when I'm watching my opponents running out, and they come to one of those shots, I find myself looking at their ferrule to see what they are shooting with. My experience is that a miss seems to be the outcome more often when they are shooting with an old school inch long ferrule on a standard shaft. Maybe it is a coincidence.

KMRUNOUT
 
Well, I think the thread started out differently - to which I'm just saying:
get a proper shaft, and Predators are not proper shafts, they're just dead.

Problem solved :thumbup:
 
Pick any long shot of your choice in which the ball must be hit with speed and some english to get back to the other end of the table. A specific shot is not important to the point I was making. All I was saying is that in my observation, when I'm watching my opponents running out, and they come to one of those shots, I find myself looking at their ferrule to see what they are shooting with. My experience is that a miss seems to be the outcome more often when they are shooting with an old school inch long ferrule on a standard shaft. Maybe it is a coincidence.

KMRUNOUT

Kind of what I thought. I've had no problem with shot like you describe with either type of shaft.
 
Back
Top