Machinist Level

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Is that because the GC1s used Brunstone
Partly, but the frame had a lot to do with the level of the playing surface as well. Before you can level any table, you have to know what the frame conditions are. An example of what I mean is think about this for a minute. If a GC frame is higher on the outside edges where the slates sit, and you screw them down to the frame, the slate is sitting on the outside of the frame, the slate screws are pulling the slate down inside of that area, so it bends the slate down in the middle. But if the inside of the frame is higher than the outside, then screwing the slate down to the frame bends the slate over the inside of the frame causing the slate to crown.

You have to know the conditions of the frame first, instead of just assuming the slates are crowned or swayback in the middle.

Put a straight edge across the frame, look at how the slate is going to be sitting on it before you throw the slate on the frame and screw it down.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Is that because the GC1s used Brunstone
If that frame is higher on the outside, making the installer think the slate is and is trying to level accordingly, as he's trying to raise the middle with wedges, at the ends of the frame, all he's doing is raising the middle of the slates between the slate screws holding the slate down to the frame, but that raising has no effect past those slate screws to the outer edges, so the slate is still uphill past those slate screws.

You're better off taking them out, then raising the middle of the slate against the opposition of the outer edge slate screws holding the slate to the frame, because then you're raising the entire span of the slate from side to side for a more even distribution of the effort to create a flat slate.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Unless I need to hold down the outside edge of the slate down for some reason, I can assemble any 3 piece slate using only 4 slate screws to mount the slates to the frame of the table like dowels, just to keep it from sliding around.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
All you mechanics are doing is following tradition when it comes to mounting 3 piece slates.

Think about this, I have a 6'x12' 5 piece slate snooker table set up, all 5 slates are leveled, flat to the frame, seams filled in and flat, and not 1 slate screw is holding them to the frame of the table!

Attachments

• 20210628_124354_resize_20210630_202651.jpg
    20210628_124354_resize_20210630_202651.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 68

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
If that frame is higher on the outside, making the installer think the slate is and is trying to level accordingly, as he's trying to raise the middle with wedges, at the ends of the frame, all he's doing is raising the middle of the slates between the slate screws holding the slate down to the frame, but that raising has no effect past those slate screws to the outer edges, so the slate is still uphill past those slate screws.

You're better off taking them out, then raising the middle of the slate against the opposition of the outer edge slate screws holding the slate to the frame, because then you're raising the entire span of the slate from side to side for a more even distribution of the effort to create a flat slate.
This makes good sense. It's kind of one of those not seeing the trees for the forest type situations. You know, there's a screw hole, so let's screw it down there. The slate isn't going anywhere with 4 screws. This could save you a hell of a lot of tedium on less than flat frames. Damn good man.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I was just about to get the popcorn out too ...
🤪
Miss Canada don't want none of this, the minute I mentioned leveling Diamond tables, he melted away, because he knows he can't pull out his BS straight edges and levels on a table that requires being leveled after its already assembled😅

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Miss Canada don't want none of this, the minute I mentioned leveling Diamond tables, he melted away, because he knows he can't pull out his BS straight edges and levels on a table that requires being leveled after its already assembled😅
You think you know everything but in fact you just show your level of stupidity, a poor stupid guy jammed in the time.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you can answer my 2 questions I asked you, go away little girl!!
First of all, you think that you can read straightness slates better with your little level than straight edge and dial indicator, it show your level of stupidity.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
First of all, you think that you can read straightness slates better with your little level than straight edge and dial indicator, it show your level of stupidity.
Are you really to dense to understand there is a big difference between FLAT and LEVEL!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Stop trying to change the subject, I asked you 2 questions, you haven't answered either of them, are they to hard for you to answer???

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I just dense enough to see how frustrated and limited you are, continue you give a great show.
Ummm, I think everyone on here knows who I am, and what I do, but you on the other hand, why don't you just tell us all what you do for work, let's see how smart you really are!!

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ummm, I think everyone on here knows who I am, and what I do, but you on the other hand, why don't you just tell us all what you do for work, let's see how smart you really are!!
The obstinacies of kids I leave it to others of your style, these are things that do not end. I'm sure that you have all respect from everyone here, poor frustrated narcissistic.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I just dense enough to see how frustrated and limited you are, continue you give a great show.
The obstinacies of kids I leave it to others of your style, these are things that do not end. I'm sure that you have all respect from everyone here, poor frustrated narcissistic.
Is that the best you can do, come on, I know you're smart enough to answer my questions, they should be simple for someone of your great intelligence😅

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think everyone on here knows who I am
After all what I read on Glen Hancock, I can say that 80% here know that you live like a big stinking pig and you have no respect for no one, liar, incredible what I read on you right here on this forum.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
After all what I read on Glen Hancock, I can say that 80% here know that you live like a big stinking pig and you have no respect for no one, liar, incredible what I read on you right here on this forum.
So I guess you're going to be a cry baby because I don't support your ideas on how to level slates. You don't work on pool tables for a living, so go back to what ever it is you do and leave this work to those that do, ok!!