Making a Goldcrown 4 play like a Diamond ProAM

realkingcobra

Silver Member
At this time, a Diamond ProAM is my favorite table to play on and I have been playing on GC's and brunswicks my whole life. I live very close (ten minutes) to the only Diamond ProAM in the city and its free and maintained perfectly with 860 tournament blue. The owner of the bar is a player and for obvious reasons went that route. He paid 5k installed/delivered and it came from Derby last year. I personally know the Diamond rep in this area and he said your not going to find a used ProAm delivered and set up for under $4,000.

For my own pad I went with the KS because a buddy said "for the money" you cant go wrong and I trust his opinion. It was $1000.00 less expensive then a used GC3 and 4. That gives me a good margin and I can now look into a higher end light system.

I could of got a mint GC4, with centennials, 860, delivered and installed, drop pockets. $2600.00

Does anyone have any real time spent on a Kim Steel here that could tell me the pro's and cons?

I DON'T work on Kim Steel tables period, not worth my time. They're junk as far as I'm concerned;)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Can you explain a little why or the main reason?

When you can't staple the rail cloth on any more under the rails, or in the pockets to attach the cloth, and have to resort to using glue to hold the rail cloth on...as far as I'm concerned...the table manufacture wasn't doing anyone any favors when they came up with that design. You can't modify the rails to take K55 cushions even if you wanted to because of the aluminum rail design, which further adds to the problem of trying to extend the rails to tighten the pockets, and using nails to hold in the pocket liners from the topside...is a joke. Just my professional opinion is all, buy what ever you want...but the only reason I'd take a KS is to recycle the aluminum for weight.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Trust me.....buy the GC4.....you'll be a lot happier 6 months down the road.

Tao Tap,

Diamonds are a one piece slate table. The GC$s are 3 piece with leveling adjustment screws for down the road.

You are absolutely right.

Diamond I believe makes a 3 piece slate table that looks just like a GC. That is a very good table. But you must pay the price for that table.

I am not knocking Diamonds but they are just big bar boxes with one piece of slate, IMHO. No plywood on a GC.

Rick

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tao Tap,

Diamonds are a one piece slate table. The GC$s are 3 piece with leveling adjustment screws for down the road.

You are absolutely right.

Diamond I believe makes a 3 piece slate table that looks just like a GC. That is a very good table. But you must pay the price for that table.

I am not knocking Diamonds but they are just big bar boxes with one piece of slate, IMHO. No plywood on a GC.

Rick

The one piece slate was the main selling point for me. Why don't you like one piece slate?

John Daminato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you can't staple the rail cloth on any more under the rails, or in the pockets to attach the cloth, and have to resort to using glue to hold the rail cloth on...as far as I'm concerned...the table manufacture wasn't doing anyone any favors when they came up with that design. You can't modify the rails to take K55 cushions even if you wanted to because of the aluminum rail design, which further adds to the problem of trying to extend the rails to tighten the pockets, and using nails to hold in the pocket liners from the topside...is a joke. Just my professional opinion is all, buy what ever you want...but the only reason I'd take a KS is to recycle the aluminum for weight.

Well this info is helpful. Thank you. I will add that to my cons list.

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GCI flawlessly set up by Ernesto and Oscar Dominguez. They set up and added rubber to make the pockets 4''. Table cost, rubber, Simonis 860 and set up $1800!
I just prefer the look of the GCs, Anniversaries and Centennials over the Diamonds. I like the way the Diamonds play except for banking. Just my opinion.
wholegcnice.jpg

straightongc.jpg

pocket2gc.jpg

Gotta love the GC tables.......you may want to look into getting the GC4 drop pockets for your table.....low profile top on the pockets....and they hold about 9 balls per pocket....they're a really nice fit and look for the GC tables......just a thought....ho and very nice looking table.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
The calibrated Diamonds I've played on bank short.

I asked John Brumback about the newly calibrated rails at the DCC. He basically told me that he couldn't tell the difference from the older ones. Of course, he had probably made whatever adjustments were needed to compensate, as he had been playing on them all week.

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard a couple of people talking about the calibrated tables at Butera's next to me when I was playing. I shouldn't have said some one told me. My bad.
Those are NOT calibrated?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I heard a couple of people talking about the calibrated tables at Butera's next to me when I was playing. I shouldn't have said some one told me. My bad.
Those are NOT calibrated?

Yes, the 4 9fts are, but not the 7ft Diamond coin-ops, they just happen to still have the red logo on them, not the blue. Sal loved the way the 9ft's played after they were re-calibrated...but he's just an amateur player, and probably don't know ANYTHING about how a table should play....right?:grin:

Keep trying, maybe some day you'll get it right;)