Mark Tadd Stories

Poke N Hope

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was reading the forum the other night and ran across a couple of threads that had referenced Mark Tadd. I have only seen him play twice and I don't remember him missing a ball. Anybody out there got a Mark Tadd story they would like to share?

Here is mine:

September 1991 on a saturday night a local wanabee with a wad of cash came into the polhall talkin a bunch of smack. Wanted to play nothing less than $100 a game. Since I was working the bar I could not play him, so I called over to another poolhall about 20 min. away and asked if they had somebody over there that wanted to bet high. They said they do and he will be right over. 30 min later in walked Mark Tadd, it was hard for me to contain the laughter. Mark talked him into playing two sets, race to nine, for $500 each and have both sets posted on the light.
The first three games went back and forth. Mark tied it up at 2-2 and then ran the next 16 racks ( He won the coin toss for the second set).

After Mark had ran both sets out, he told the wanabee that he could get the wild 3,5,7 for $1000. The wanabee did not say a word, he just turned and walked away got a beer from the bar and sat in the corner and did not say a word for atleast an hour.:confused:

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Oooooh Ooooooh! I got one!

This one time... Mark told everyone on the board they are going to Hell unless they believe EXACTLY what he believes...

Ummmmm... Yeah...

See my sig...

Russ

dimes33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Russ Chewning said:
Oooooh Ooooooh! I got one!

This one time... Mark told everyone on the board they are going to Hell unless they believe EXACTLY what he believes...

Ummmmm... Yeah...

See my sig...

Russ
what exactly does he believe russ?:cool:

Russ Chewning

Silver Member
dimes33 said:
what exactly does he believe russ?:cool:

Well, as you can see in my sig, he believes that if you don't really know Jesus, but are searching for the answers, and think God will have mercy on you if you die before finding Jesus... Then you are wrong, and your soul will burn in Hell for all eternity.

I don't care enough about mark tadd to even bother looking it all up again, but suffice it to say that he is ultra judgemental (and you know, coming from ME, that is saying something!), thinks there is ONE salvation path, and that everyone else in the world is going to Hell for eternal torture.

Now, if he had any personality at all, he might be able to convince a few people. Unfortunately, the mark tadd that we have all heard about from his pool days, i.e. cocky, arrogant, bombastic, is still the mark tadd of today. Finding religion hasn't really changed him. He might be humble towards God, but he is the furthest thing from humble when it comes to his fellow man.

Everyone who wasn't on his side to begin with whenever we started a religious discussion in NPR, ended up thinking him an excessively arrogant person who had little chance of "winning souls", because his communication and empathy skills are nonexistent.

Just look up his posts in NPR. I don't think he has ever posted to a nonreligious thread there, so his rantings should be easy to find. :D

Russ

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark really is his own favorite subject to talk about. I'm with you on this one Russ.

Andy

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
All I know is, when he was playing, no one had to beat him at ANY game. JMO.

Southpaw

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Russ Chewning said:
Well, as you can see in my sig, he believes that if you don't really know Jesus, but are searching for the answers, and think God will have mercy on you if you die before finding Jesus... Then you are wrong, and your soul will burn in Hell for all eternity.

I don't care enough about mark tadd to even bother looking it all up again, but suffice it to say that he is ultra judgemental (and you know, coming from ME, that is saying something!), thinks there is ONE salvation path, and that everyone else in the world is going to Hell for eternal torture.

Now, if he had any personality at all, he might be able to convince a few people. Unfortunately, the mark tadd that we have all heard about from his pool days, i.e. cocky, arrogant, bombastic, is still the mark tadd of today. Finding religion hasn't really changed him. He might be humble towards God, but he is the furthest thing from humble when it comes to his fellow man.

Everyone who wasn't on his side to begin with whenever we started a religious discussion in NPR, ended up thinking him an excessively arrogant person who had little chance of "winning souls", because his communication and empathy skills are nonexistent.

Just look up his posts in NPR. I don't think he has ever posted to a nonreligious thread there, so his rantings should be easy to find. :D

Russ

In the words of the great Rock N Roll philosophers known simply as Metallica... "Sad, but true..."

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back on topic...

I wanna hear stories about Mark running racks not losing his mind.

Thanks,
Ian

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poke N Hope said:
...Mark tied it up at 2-2 and then ran the next 16 racks...
When you say "ran the next 16 racks", does that mean break and runs, or just winning the next 16 games?

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I'm not doubting the statement that he ran 16 (or that maybe he could run 16), but it seems a bad move for him to lay down for the first 4 games (working it to 2-2) only to blast off and shoot the guys nuts off by running out 16 in a row...an unfinished run BTW.

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
jsp said:
When you say "ran the next 16 racks", does that mean break and runs, or just winning the next 16 games?

The first poster's remark that "he won the coin toss for the second set" strongly hints that they were playing winner breaks and therefore would assume it was 16 B & R's.

enzo

Banned
i've heard a lot of tadd stories, but one thing i personally saw him do was this. he was practicing with jimmy mendoza when he was playing good back in about 92 or so, and every 2 or 3 minutes he would obnoxiously yell out "sweeeeeeeet" in a very high pitched squealing voice in the tournament room at hard times in bellflower. now, hardtimes is a place you maybe need to be familiar with to completely understand this story, but the point is, nobody said a word to him for being so rude. i always assumed after that that a person really could do pretty much whatever they wanted as long as they played that good.

i also witnessed him tryng to match up with efren one day early at the bicycle club. efren didnt really want to give him anything, in any game. that is pretty much unprecidented.

Poke N Hope

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jsp said:

He broke and ran the next 16 racks. The other guy never got to the table, except to rack.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
In the words of the great Rock N Roll philosophers known simply as Metallica... "Sad, but true..."

Amen! About the only time you'll ever hear me say that!

Poke N Hope

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
I'm not doubting the statement that he ran 16 (or that maybe he could run 16), but it seems a bad move for him to lay down for the first 4 games (working it to 2-2) only to blast off and shoot the guys nuts off by running out 16 in a row...an unfinished run BTW.

The guy Mark was playing was a real *****. They argued several times the first couple of games. The guy was trying to shark Mark, Mark just wooffed back at him. After the 4th game the guy said something to Mark, I do not know what it was but it did piss Mark off.

This is how it went

Game One:

Mark wins toss, Cue Ball flys off table from break.
Guy runs down to the seven misses. Mark Runs out.

Mark 1 Other Guy 0

wooff,wooff

Game Two:

Mark breaks and cueball flys off table again.
Guy runs three balls and make 9ball on combo

Mark 1 Other Guy 1

wooff wooff

Game Three:

Other Guy breaks and makes 9bal on break

Mark 1 Other Guy 2

Game Four:

Other guy breaks and runs done to eight and misses. Mark makes 8 and nine.

Mark 2 Other Giuy 2

At this point the other guy said something to Mark and it was very clear that it struck a nerve in Mark.

The rest of the games was just Mark breaking and running.

Russ Chewning

Silver Member
No doubt, mark was absolutely one of the smartest, fearless players in the game back in the day.. No one can take away from him, no matter what his current circumstances might be..

Russ

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Russ Chewning said:
No doubt, mark was absolutely one of the smartest, fearless players in the game back in the day.. No one can take away from him, no matter what his current circumstances might be..

Russ

He still plays "better than shortstop speed" so the Short Bus better not start woofing at him.
He won a qualifier for the IPT against a strong field beating Danny Medina and David Matlock (10 games to 4) along the way as well as a couple of others and then made it through the first round of the North American I believe.

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Russ Chewning said:

Russ

This thread is about Mark Tadd, the pool player. It's sad that
you didn't realize that. Ty Cobb's antics didn't keep him from
being a great baseball player. I happen to agree with you, for
a change, about his religious views but I'd like to hear about
his pool game.
I've heard stories but never seen him 1st hand.
Why sabotage a potentially great thread?

VARick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of our VA/MD/DC area's long-time one pocket players was telling me just the other day about the time he was playing Bill Incardona at either Guys & Dolls or Jack & Jill's (can't remember which one), getting 8-6 and the breaks.

At some point he had to tell Billy that it was his shot, because Incardona was turned around looking at a young player with a group of backers who were trying to make a game with Bus Driver Ronnie. "I could swear I've seen that kid somewhere before...," Billy said. This happened several more times until my friend jokingly said, "I'm gonna have to quit you, Billy, if you don't start paying attention to our game." Finally Incardona realized it was Mark Tadd, with longer hair than the last time he had seen him. Nobody else knew who he was except for the backers who had flown him in from the West Coast.

Needless to say, neither Incardona or my friend ever said a word, and after making a couple of large side bets, nonchalantly returned to their own game. Playing even(!), Tadd easily won two sets for a large sum of money.

BTW, my friend always referred to Billy as "Cardone" in the story and said he was a perfect gentleman to gamble with.