Mass Shooting At Maine Pool Hall & Bowling Alley

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrxR

I was surprised that there wasn't anyone with conceal carry in those locations. Never had a gun or ever wanted one but it would be reassuring to have a defense when seconds count and the police are minutes away....
Not sure about Maine, but there are states that have permitless carry like Maine does but don't allow carry in bars and some other locations.

TrxR

I can tell you one thing, F a shelter in place order. Marshall law has no place in our country and if being in your house saved you there wouldn't be any home invasions. Stupidity at its finest.
I thought I seen somewhere the local authorities were telling people to keep their guns handy?

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats a new one for me but could understand that if true and also would support that as you would have eliminated the reason for the restriction.
I do remember seeing something about it being allowed in cases such as restaurants where the customer is there mainly for eating.
Learn something every day.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know of any state that allows carry in a drinking establishment.
Lot's of states do, as long as you arent drinking.

Some states don't even care if you're drinking. Florida included.

Just because you choose to have a glass of wine with dinner at a nice restaurant, or for that matter a couple of beers at the pool hall, doesn't mean you give up your right to defend yourself.

It's worth noting that you're 100% responsible for your conduct and the choices you make while doing so.

Rightfully so.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Maine is an open carry state. But not allowed in bars. No Matter where you go, you'll hear people talk about always carrying. Yet there wasn't anyone in that bowling alley with one...

Here's the biggest challenge with that, the one thing that has always concerned me about everyone arming themselves. A very good friend of mine was walking thru Walmart yesterday. About 90 minutes away from the community where the shootings took place. He doesn't really have any sort of resemblance to the shooter, beyond having a beard and dark hair. Yet two people looked at him, nearly ran their carts into the shelves, and scurried off, looking at their phones.

Now, what's gonna happen when someone who has no training but bought themselves a gun, goes and thinks they've seen this guy? My friend doesn't want to go out in public right now. Not cuz hes truly scared for himself, moreso those around him. Cuz he carries, and doesn't want to have to defend himself from people thinking he's the guy.

There's no good answer. Not one.

The guy is still at large. There are lots of rumors, theories, what have you. He is former military, and a shooting instructor. If he has his wits about him, this could be drawn out a long time. If he's completely unhinged, who knows what will trip his trigger, figuratively, and where he'll be next. It's very unsettling, to be generous.

Still, as i mentioned before, there are a lot of people in this state that are armed. He might make a mistake. He also knows this state, as well. Sigh...

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like Mike Tyson said - everybody is a tough guy until they get punched in the face- how many handgun carrying ordinary citizens are going to go actually confront a rifle or auto rifle crazed gunman? 99% if not immediately threatened themselves will run for cover too - they all have families, responsibilities, themselves.
Most hand gun carriers have never even experienced live gun fire without their protective ear equipment, much less in an enclosed space with people dying in front of them.
We have seen many so called trained law guys run and hide too or refuse to enter buildings as they waited for “orders” while kids got slaughtered,
I carry myself - but nobody knows what they will do until you are in the mix.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like Mike Tyson said - everybody is a tough guy until they get punched in the face- how many handgun carrying ordinary citizens are going to go actually confront a rifle or auto rifle crazed gunman? 99% if not immediately threatened themselves will run for cover too - they all have families, responsibilities, themselves.
Most hand gun carriers have never even experienced live gun fire without their protective ear equipment, much less in an enclosed space with people dying in front of them.
We have seen many so called trained law guys run and hide too or refuse to enter buildings as they waited for “orders” while kids got slaughtered,
I carry myself - but nobody knows what they will do until you are in the mix.
Agree 100%. In those instances some get shit done and others shit their Levis. No way to know til it happens.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bartender at one of those places confronted the shooter with a knife and was killed. There was nothing reported if he got any licks in. Hope he did. RIP.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bartender at one of those places confronted the shooter with a knife and was killed. There was nothing reported if he got any licks in. Hope he did. RIP.
Well, confronting a .308 rifle with knife is like confronting a charging bear with a pencil- at least he tried to do something, give him honors for that!!

Too bad no armed person was available to stand up to this deranged person- I am a bit surprised that in Maine bars, bowling alleys, pool halls, whatever are not manned by armed employees in this day and age - maybe there were some, but they did not act - who knows-

Now watch every one involved in the shooters mental issues to push off the responsibility to properly manage a person who outwardly expressed the potential for extreme violence.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, confronting a .308 rifle with knife is like confronting a charging bear with a pencil- at least he tried to do something, give him honors for that!!

Too bad no armed person was available to stand up to this deranged person- I am a bit surprised that in Maine bars, bowling alleys, pool halls, whatever are not manned by armed employees in this day and age - maybe there were some, but they did not act - who knows-

Now watch every one involved in the shooters mental issues to push off the responsibility to properly manage a person who outwardly expressed the potential for extreme violence.
There were a LOT of clear warning signs with this asswipe. He should have been off the street and disarmed imo. I'm bigtime pro2A but some people should not have access to firearms.

Podunker

Those assault rifles should not be available to the general public. Everybody that owns one should have to pass a competency test and have a valid reason for ownership. It should not be an easy acquire. It's not a fun gun. That .223 caliber is not really a hunting cartridge. Too light for a deer. That weapon is made to lay out a field of fire. The average hunting rifle may hold 5 bullets, then reload. The ar can have two 30 round clips taped together. 60 rounds can be exited in 2.5 minutes reload included in that time. A knowledgeable person can come easily stocked with 240 rounds. A police officer armed with a pistol may as well as have a pea shooter. The genie is out of the bottle. It's time for everyone, including an NRA nit like me, to figure a solution together. A2 was made with muskets in mind. We need some public restrictions.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those assault rifles should not be available to the general public. Everybody that owns one should have to pass a competency test and have a valid reason for ownership. It should not be an easy acquire. It's not a fun gun. That .223 caliber is not really a hunting cartridge. Too light for a deer. That weapon is made to lay out a field of fire. The average hunting rifle may hold 5 bullets, then reload. The ar can have two 30 round clips taped together. 60 rounds can be exited in 2.5 minutes reload included in that time. A knowledgeable person can come easily stocked with 240 rounds. A police officer armed with a pistol may as well as have a pea shooter. The genie is out of the bottle. It's time for everyone, including an NRA nit like me, to figure a solution together. A2 was made with muskets. We need some public restrictions.
As much as I am for gun rights,the founding fathers had no clue what future weapons would be like.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some states don't even care if you're drinking. Florida included.

Just because you choose to have a glass of wine with dinner at a nice restaurant, or for that matter a couple of beers at the pool hall, doesn't mean you give up your right to defend yourself.

It's worth noting that you're 100% responsible for your conduct and the choices you make while doing so.

Rightfully so.

I looked this up because I live in Idaho and it's very similar to FL in its gun laws. In Florida you can not carry in a bar or bar areas of restaurants, you can carry in a bar in Idaho but not if you're drinking.

I can't verify the accuracy of the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.