Matchroom 2023 UK Open (nineball), 30May-4June, Winner $30K

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
On another note...looks like to me they got another foul wrong again. At least in this case the ref was standing in the proper position...but alas wrong. You don't need replay or super slow speed. Just look at how the balls reacted. The four ball goes sideways with almost zero upward motion. If he had clipped it on the way in then I can promise you it would have been north of the side pocket.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tuned into some of the Scottish open and now the UK Open....holy crap is this boring. And I'm doing my best to enjoy it but it has zero entertainment value for me so far. I genuinely do not know what it is but even the highlight videos I'm shutting off because there is nothing that is preventing me from switching.

Seriously, what the hell is it? I can't figure it out.
These guys are all robots....that's the European model.
People want action.
People want stories.

This is mostly just guys hitting balls.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Styer lost to a 14 year old phenom from Sweden Walter Laikre, 9 to 8.
Can't find video.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These guys are all robots....that's the European model.
People want action.
People want stories.

This is mostly just guys hitting balls.
I'm the same watching this, it looks as if guys are playing even more tighter (robotic) than last years event. Which was the last time I watched as much pool as this.
Its like thay say, it's all about how good your cue action is, under pressure, when it matters.

I can't blame these guys for playing in a way they think gives them the best chance of winning vs. playing a way they think will be the most exciting to the audience.

There is so. much. pool. of every game, and every skill level, uploaded onto Youtube and Facebook every week. Plenty of guys with lower Fargo Ratings are happy to cowboy it up, and I have no compunction about watching matches like that. It's a nice change of pace when a runout is an accomplishment rather than an expectation, and fewer shots can be taken for granted.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On another note...looks like to me they got another foul wrong again. ...
Yup. It probably didn't influence the outcome of the match. I think the speeds might have been close to what we saw if the 4 had been hit first. For the cue ball to stop dead like that I think the 2 and 4 must have been close to the "wrong" distance apart where the action of the balls doesn't tell you what happened. For me the shot would have been undecidable (if I had time to think about it) so no foul.

Last edited:

Atorontopoolplayer

Needs the tension of later rounds and two high quality players to be very entertaining AND the shot clock.
These early rounds with no clock and a lot of non competitive matches aren't worth watching for the most part.
Excited for the elimination stages though

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Needs the tension of later rounds and two high quality players to be very entertaining AND the shot clock.
These early rounds with no clock and a lot of non competitive matches aren't worth watching for the most part.
Excited for the elimination stages though

a lot of dead money in early rounds. winners qualification today will have some good matches though:

fedor vs aranas
big ko vs ekonomopolous
fortunski vs makkonen
thorpe vs souquet
etc

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Seen a remark on fb, that Robert Hart, the one who played snooker pro Jack Lisowski yesterday, is Kevin Hart's brother. I digged a bit and here's what I managed to find:

I wish such stories were presented before the match happens, this would make it more colorful for the audience. But of course that's a big ask for Matchroom, with so many relatively unknown players there.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seen a remark on fb, that Robert Hart, the one who played snooker pro Jack Lisowski yesterday, is Kevin Hart's brother. I digged a bit and here's what I managed to find:

I wish such stories were presented before the match happens, this would make it more colorful for the audience. But of course that's a big ask for Matchroom, with so many relatively unknown players there.

Shouldn't be hard to do a piece on Rob as he's been in the pool scene for years.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I thought everyone already knew that Rob was Kevin's brother. I learned that a couple of years ago and remember thinking they could have used it to market the tournament a bit.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I knew “40” for 20 years before I ever saw a Kevin hart movie. Ha ha. He’s a good local player out of Philadelphia.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They should at least use shot clock for main TV Table 1. Even Gorst is taking his sweet time measuring everything.
If they are not going to use shot clock, at least give players a measurement toolbox :ROFLMAO:

measure1.jpg

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They should at least use shot clock for main TV Table 1. Even Gorst is taking his sweet time measuring everything.
If they are not going to use shot clock, at least give players a measurement toolbox :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 702250

gorsts natural speed is pretty slow. they have been doing well putting faster players on the tv tables but now they have gorst on one and candela on the other. luckily shaw is beating the latter fast enough

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On another note...looks like to me they got another foul wrong again. At least in this case the ref was standing in the proper position...but alas wrong. You don't need replay or super slow speed. Just look at how the balls reacted. The four ball goes sideways with almost zero upward motion. If he had clipped it on the way in then I can promise you it would have been north of the side pocket.

Frem by frem (contagious lol) shows the 2 moving well ahead of the 4.