Matchroom - Don't Mess Up - Make Sure You Keep Mark Wilson As The Captain

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I hope everyone saw the progression and what Mark is creating. Yes the USA lost but they played with tremendous heart and emotion, fought til the end. It was great to see. Mark continues to take 5 unique personalities that battle against each other for 11 1/2 months and turn them into a team in just 2 weeks. He has expectations for the players. I have watched matches with SVB in them for 10 years now and have never seen him with such emotion. That should tell you all you need to know.

He has withstood a lot of social media criticism - many times it being bluntly rude - for some of his selections, for his expectations and still stood tall. I have nothing but respect for the man.

And while Mark is doing what he does for Team USA, he is promoting pool like no other. Go back and look in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 -- there wasn't even 1/4 of the interest in the Mosconi Cup on threads on AZ that there is now.

Congrats to all team USA. You all wore the jersey well.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom already stated earlier this year that Mark will captain the team at least through 2016. In my mind he has the best chance of anyone to bring a winning team to the plate. Go Mark! Go Team USA! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree!

I hope everyone saw the progression and what Mark is creating. Yes the USA lost but they played with tremendous heart and emotion, fought til the end. It was great to see. Mark continues to take 5 unique personalities that battle against each other for 11 1/2 months and turn them into a team in just 2 weeks. He has expectations for the players. I have watched matches with SVB in them for 10 years now and have never seen him with such emotion. That should tell you all you need to know.

He has withstood a lot of social media criticism - many times it being bluntly rude - for some of his selections, for his expectations and still stood tall. I have nothing but respect for the man.

And while Mark is doing what he does for Team USA, he is promoting pool like no other. Go back and look in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 -- there wasn't even 1/4 of the interest in the Mosconi Cup on threads on AZ that there is now.

Congrats to all team USA. You all wore the jersey well.

If he keeps this up and we get a couple of rolls, Pool could see a come back, we just need something, a little bump in the public.

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Mark spends months preparing for this event. I can't think of anyone who would put more into it than him.

I hope to see him coach Team USA for a long time.....

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's remember that under him, the US has had two of its worst losses in its history. Only twice has the US lost worse than 11-5 & 11-7.

But I don't blame him for that. I think he does see the Mosconi Cup for what it is: It symbolizes the state of American pro pool. It's crap right now, and we deserve to lose this tournament until that bigger picture changes. He wants to use the Mosconi cup team to promote American pro pool, get some interest and excitement, and grow the game. I think that's the right outlook. You can't have a pro pool environment like we have and just magically get 5 players out of nowhere to play top tournament pool.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is about the players, not the captain. My opinion.

Well it's ok to be wrong ,, Mark built a " Team " not 5 guys thrown together they interacted as a team and they won and lost as a team , and did so with class a dignity unlike some of yrs past

Mark's value to the team can't be overstated

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Lots of those matches could have went either way as many went hill to hill. If they got those hill to hill matches they could have been raising the cup in celebration. I think Dechaine and Corey were the weakest links, maybe next year we will see Rodney and someone else in place of them. Bergman and Sky were impressive, wasn't very impressed with Shane but he has not faired well in Mosconi so his performance was rather average. All on Europe played well besides Nick, Darren did struggle some. Would like to see Thorsten on the Mosconi Cup, why isn't he?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of those matches could have went either way as many went hill to hill. If they got those hill to hill matches they could have been raising the cup in celebration. I think Dechaine and Corey were the weakest links, maybe next year we will see Rodney and someone else in place of them. Bergman and Sky were impressive, wasn't very impressed with Shane but he has not faired well in Mosconi so his performance was rather average. All on Europe played well besides Nick, Darren did struggle some. Would like to see Thorsten on the Mosconi Cup, why isn't he?

Well I'm not a Shane fan but I thought in this MC he may of turned the corner he came with a big shot early when coupled with MD and he came large in his final match snatching victory from the jaws of defeat

Elwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do we have any young players that we can add to the mix next year? I like Bergman, Woodward, and Shane. Justin Hall? Josh Roberts?

Elwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense, Teacherman, but if you think Corey is one of the best 5 players in the country, you are sadly mistaken...

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
I mean in all fairness he didn't **Build*** a team. Top 3 point earners where already on the team and he took 4-5. Last year he hand picked the team, or did everyone forget that? I do believe the point system was a good deal. What he does throughout the year is understandably a lot of work.

I think giving Skylar the chance to play his 1st cup in the states was a good move!

He needs to get away from the (team doctor and team motivator) BS and get a strategist. Someone who knows how to throw players and make match ups. Corey doesn't like MD, so why were they partners? How predictable is it that just like last year SVB played Darren on day 1? Pro players don't know much about team play and it shows here.

Mark Wilson, we're friends on FB. Message me, I will help you out! Just ask a peon and quit thinking you have to be a PRO player to know whats going on in this event.

Don't European players play against one another for the year? Or is that something that just happens in the USA? (yes - sarcasm)

I do 100% agree that interest in the event is up a TON. And Mark is doing his best to create a better world of pool for the states. I am proud of our team and our players and of Mark. He is a good man and is trying to do what he thinks is best while under a lot of pressure.

Teacherman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense, Teacherman, but if you think Corey is one of the best 5 players in the country, you are sadly mistaken...

We had a series of tournaments with a point system.

Corey qualified by defeating all comers....including your opinion.

We can talk about how they played.....but he was clearly one of the 5 best we have to offer.

00john

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's remember that under him, the US has had two of its worst losses in its history. Only twice has the US lost worse than 11-5 & 11-7.

But I don't blame him for that. I think he does see the Mosconi Cup for what it is: It symbolizes the state of American pro pool. It's crap right now, and we deserve to lose this tournament until that bigger picture changes. He wants to use the Mosconi cup team to promote American pro pool, get some interest and excitement, and grow the game. I think that's the right outlook. You can't have a pro pool environment like we have and just magically get 5 players out of nowhere to play top tournament pool.

Really? I might remind you of 2013 sir. We lost 11 to 2 and i wont even go into all the embarassing antics! Definitely going in the right direction now!

abbassi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people are a little sensitive here. I have nothing against M Wilson, and he may be a great coach. We have 5 top Pros playing the game, he cannot do it for them. It is an honor for these pros to have earned their spots and or chosen. They have to do it, not the coach, he can only massage their ego a little. The rest is up to them.
Let's do it next year!