Matchroom WNT Premier League Pool (PLP) 18-25 March2024, Connecticut, $100K Prize Fund

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, this event had the best players rise to the top. I'd say winning this event was harder than winning a 256 man US Open. Every single rack counted. Absolutely no player that was NOT world class. No player could let up the entire tournament.

Was this how the straight pool round robbin world championships were like in the golden era?

One thing to me personally, I felt that the last stage of the tournament was a bit anti-climatic. I feel the tournament should have ended with the winner of the round robin stage.

I also feel this tournament proved Filler is the best player. He won more individual games and lost less games than anyone else. Yes, he lost one additional set than Little Ko. The game count to me shows how dominant he is against the highest level of his peers.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Was this how the straight pool round robin world championships were like in the golden era? ....
In general the RR 14.1 tournaments had a single round with matches to 125 on 10-foot tables (until 1950). Sometimes when there were fewer players it was a double round robin. There were many long challenge matches over multiple days.

The most grueling was the league play for the 1940-1941 championship. It was an 8 player round robin, but each player played every other player 32 times to 125. That was 224 matches for every player except Johnny Irish dropped out part way through.

Here is a listing of the formats of the 19 world championships Willie Mosconi won:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, this event had the best players rise to the top. I'd say winning this event was harder than winning a 256 man US Open. Every single rack counted. Absolutely no player that was NOT world class. No player could let up the entire tournament.

Was this how the straight pool round robbin world championships were like in the golden era?

One thing to me personally, I felt that the last stage of the tournament was a bit anti-climatic. I feel the tournament should have ended with the winner of the round robin stage.

I also feel this tournament proved Filler is the best player. He won more individual games and lost less games than anyone else. Yes, he lost one additional set than Little Ko. The game count to me shows how dominant he is against the highest level of his peers.

i think doing it that way would create problems. you pretty soon end up with lame ducks. and potentially with deals struck..

i agree that the final stage can be anti-climactic, i don't think it was this time, but if you're constantly fighting for a spot in a latter stage it takes away some of the inherent round robin problems

ACL

There may be some distortion, but I think he was aiming it that way on purpose. He is using the deflection, and a lot of spin. Maybe the best shot of the match. SVB was pretty pumped up for that last rack. He overstroked a couple shots, but recovered spectacularly.
Gotcha. The distortion could also be from the type of camera they were using over the table. Since he was directly under it and jacked up, that might have been the cause.

Yes he was. My wife and I were sitting right next to him and you could see the change in his demeanor once the end was in sight. It was also quite comical hearing him muttering to himself if something didn't work out. At one point he was looking at the table after a push out and said something to the effect of, well f*** me. We pissed our pants. :ROFLMAO:

jbart65

I thought Chung was the best player overall. He beat Filler head to head, 2-1, winning 14 racks to nine. He also won the most racks overall. But it was a close call.

SVB was clearly the best player though the first five days. He did falter Saturday and early Sunday to take some shine off.

I prefer a playoff of sorts. But this is the NFL vs Premier League sort of debate ...