Measles Ball. Do you like it?

What do you think of the Measles?

• Total voters

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
Aramith Pro Cup Cue Ball AKA Measles Ball. Just wondering what most AZ'ers think about it.

It seems to grow on people which was why I split the categories into over and under 10 hours of play.

If you feel that it plays different from the ball you prefer, please try to disregard that and only vote based on how you feel about having the dots on there.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This ball was created with TV in mind. It's simple for anyone that does not understand pool to see how the ball spins. I don't mind it, but I still prefer the red circle!!

Last edited:

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
We've been using the Pro-Cup ball for 3 years for all our Monthly Jamborees. Our One Pocket players like it very much and only a few 9 Ball players have complained and that has virtually stopped in the last 2 years.

Most of the better players say that the pro cup ball lets them let out their stroke. The pro cup also collides with the object balls better than the old red circle cue balls. Those red circle balls BOUNCED of the object ball.

It is here to stay at Hard Times, at least for the time being. :wink:

Rob_jerrylee

Bustamante's # 1 fan
Silver Member
I've got two of them , I bought the first one when I first started playing and then when I got my new table I bought the Aramith TV Balls , at my local bar we have free pool tuesdays and every now and then I'll bring it with me and I'll get a few comments here and there when people like it or dislike it .

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you feel that it plays different from the ball you prefer, please try to disregard that and only vote based on how you feel about having the dots on there.
This gives the poll an entirely different dimension that how I originally interpreted the poll question.

I love having the dots on the ball. It's great for instructional purposes, and it's also mesmerizing to watch that baby spin.

But from my experience, my measles ball definitely plays "heavier" and "more sluggish" than my red circle CB. I definitely prefer the red circle CB over the measles ball in terms of playability and feel.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
voted too quick

Aramith Pro Cup Cue Ball AKA Measles Ball. Just wondering what most AZ'ers think about it.

It seems to grow on people which was why I split the categories into over and under 10 hours of play.

I read the poll and voted that I didn't like it after way over ten hours and then read your post. I have absolutely no problem with the appearance of the measle ball. My problem is that it rolls enough further than the balls I usually compete with(red circle) that it fouls up my position play. A minor whine but another source of unhappiness after paying thirty dollars for a cue ball is that it has pecks all over it, many from after I quit using it when breaking.

Hu

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
Sorry for not making the question more clear. The reason I wanted to know just based on the appearance of the ball is because I thought Saluc claimed that it should play the same as one of their other cue balls (I forgot which one). I could be wrong about that though.

The argument for perceived differences are that a ball will wear over time and lose mass. I remember there have been lots of threads about that but can't quite recall the conclusion of whatever studies there were.

Anyhow, if you answered based on how it plays, no worries. That's more important than the looks anyway. :)

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It's too freakin' slow.
It's not that slow on tv b/c they have new cloth and tv lights.
Funny enough, I weighed it compared to the centennial cue ball.
Same weight, different color.

But, the measle plays much much slower. Tougher to spin or draw.

Saluc should have just put dots on the Centennial cueball.
I don't believe for a minute they are of the same formulation.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the spotted ball until I play 1 pocket.....you can have NO secrets with that thing! :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I like the measles cue ball in pool, but I absolutely love it in 3-cushion billiards.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
clear layer?

It's too freakin' slow.
It's not that slow on tv b/c they have new cloth and tv lights.
Funny enough, I weighed it compared to the centennial cue ball.
Same weight, different color.

But, the measle plays much much slower. Tougher to spin or draw.

Saluc should have just put dots on the Centennial cueball.
I don't believe for a minute they are of the same formulation.

Joey,

Seems like they may have a clear layer as the top coating. I don't know the process making them and the regular cue balls but the slightest difference in the curing process could result in the amount of difference I see in play. The formulation may be different, the cure may be different, I don't care. I have enough trouble with speed control on Diamonds in high humidity without adding in cue balls that roll differently.

Hu

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
How could seeing the spin not be good? Before the measles ball came along I had to use an extra striped ball as my practice cue ball.

I've never noticed a real difference in size, weight or playability, and have never heard one substantiated. I think people think they're heavy mainly because (1) the spots make them look bigger and (2) they're usually newer (and therefore a little heavier) than the other balls on the table.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I had been using one at home for over a year. I went back to my red circle ball and it still works better for me than the measles ball.

The red circle seems to accept draw spin quite a bit better than the measles ball. I've tried polishing the measles ball but it still just won't draw like the red circle.

I know the weight is almost exactly the same.. 1 or 2 grams difference so it must be the surface is slicker on the red circle.

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
OK, so I got a reply from Saluc/Aramith. I'm sure this has been posted on here in the past but they basically said that the blue circle, red circle and measles ball are all made to the same specs. The blue circle and measles use the same phenolic resin as each other, while the red circle is made from "another phenolic resin type, used for Carom sets".

So I guess the blue circle and measles should play the same. If a difference is felt, perhaps it is due to age differences between the two balls.

Anyway, I'm glad to see most people either like the measles ball or don't care. Personally I think it's great. :D

By the way, they sent me a chart of the different cue balls and which sets they are included in. If there's interest, I can try to upload it to this thread.