Mika Immonen not doing well

DaWizard

Just saw on Facebook he's being treated for stage 4 cancer, per Mark White.

Mikas Facebook post
Dear friends, fans, and members of the billiard industry.
With much shock to even myself, I am withdrawing from any foreseeable tournaments as I will be fighting the greatest match of my life.
I was experiencing excruciating pain and therefore sleep deprivation while playing and still placing in the quarterfinals in the all Japan championships this past November. I was helped by Naoyuki Oi to the ER to get some answers. Thank you bro. It was a start of a long road of tests… Finally in Costa Rica the biopsy & imaging revealed a stage IV cancer diagnosis.
My oncologists have informed me that this type of cancer, while very serious, responds well to treatment and although I have an arduous wellness journey before me, I hope to be back in action as soon as practically possible.
I am in good hands and I thank you for some of the responses I’m already getting. Everything helps. I’m very optimistic!
Again I thank my family and friends, my fans and my sponsors. I could not do this without you!

I love this game, I love this community, and I love my fans. I cannot wait to join you all again on the table full of life.
Full of SISU*!

Yours Sincerely,

the “ICEMAN” Mika Immonen

PS. *I want to end it with a quote that explains the word;

“We all have these moments when we all need to reach beyond what we think we are capable of. At the end of physical, emotional and psychological endurance. And then we have some kind of force that allows us to continue even when we thought we couldn’t,” says Lahti. For Finns, that ‘second wind’ of inner strength is sisu.

@highlight
Source:

Last edited:

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Good luck to one of the best...his memorable streak of wins around 2008-2009 were amazing, he won pretty much everything it seemed in that era. I grew interested in pool watching 9 ball on ESPN with the likes of The Iceman vs Busti, etc. I truly hope he beats this.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Heartbreaking.

I've known Mika since 1997, before he lived in the United States. As he chose New York City as his home, I was fortunate to get to watch up close his rise to superstardom in pool that landed him in the BCA Hall of Fame.

Pulling hard for him as he battles a very tough opponent in cancer.

Rusty in Montana

I don't have a clue which type of cancer it could be there's over 3,500 different types , I had P -16 HPV the cancer in my throat they're featuring on many TV commercials and for me the radiation treatments were nearly as difficult as the chemotherapy sessions .
During all this it's imperative that you continue to eat food if at all possible if you don't they make you get a feeding tube which isn't pleasant but will keep you going .

Just some words to possibly help understand a difficult topic .