Mike Dechaine

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just saw this: Team USA is coming to San Diego!

San Diego has been selected as the first stop on the team’s itinerary in their preparation to bring home the Mosconi Cup, following European domination in recent years. The team will make a series of stops across the country in the lead up to the big event, visiting hospitals, doing charity exhibitions, offering instructional clinics, and competing in a series of Mosconi Cup-style matches against the very best local players.

Last edited:
Yeah, because a bunch of 40 somethings without team spirit did so well last year.

And since you want to spout off facts without actually providing any, please allow me to put you so kindly in your place.

Out of this year's picks, only Shuff is not in the top 100. Three of the potential players are currently in the top 10.

You know who isn't in the top 10 right now? Dechaine and every other player not named Shane Van Boening that was on last year's team.

Dechaine isn't top 10? You sure know a lot. So the 8 Mosconi hopefuls that will be reduced to a team of 5 include: SVB, Oscar Dominguez, Justin Bergman, Jeremy Sossei, Corey Deuel, Brandon Schuff and John Schmidt. Dechaine robs every player on the team except SVB. No offense, but over 100 guys play stronger than the bottom 4 of that 8.

So you think the Wilson dream team wins next year? Sounds like a bet to me.

If you believe it then you should bet high. Sure lots of people will be happy to take your money. Put me first in line for 500. Can't wait for the excuses when Europe trashes them.

Pool has almost nothing to do with finding out who are the dominant players. More about who plays nice with others and brings more housewives into the game.

Last edited:

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Asking "Who is Mark Wilson?" is an indictment of you, not Mark.

Mark apparently subscribes to the idea that past performance is an indicator of future performance...and MD had his shot.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Originally Posted By, takeitdown:

"So you think the Griffin dream team wins next year? Sounds like a bet to me."

For the second time, Mark Wilson (capt. for Mosconi Cup) and Mark Griffin (CSI &
upcoming Invitationals) are two different people.

Last edited:

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
We'll said!

This Mosconi Cup thing is really good at creating long thread subjects.

- In 2012 Archer was hand-picked and a lot of people complained because some youngsters might be more deserving (at that time, Oscar was named by a few for instance). Archer went on to be unbeaten in London, the best of all 10 players.

- In 2013 The whole lot was hand-picked (20th anniversary edition) and obviously it was impossible to have 30 players so a few big names got left out (Hohmann, Deuel, Ortmann, Jones, Chamat, etc...). Yet nobody predicted the outcome with team USA unable to score a point before the 9th match.

- In 2014 there's a new guy in charge for the USA, like in 2006 there was for Europe. He's doing his thing, which means that whatever looks unfair from the public eye's point of view will be questioned. Earl, Mike, Johnny and all can win whatever they want - even the US Open! - They won't make it to the team in 2014.

The real answer to this will come when they will all be in Blackpool. All of the 8 players pre-selected by Mark Wilson are able to beat anybody in the world in a race to 5, 9-ball, alternate break. It depends more on wether they will be able to make it when it counts.

I don't believe any agitation around the non-qualified players will help USA bring the cup back. Let's wait and see. I have faith that the American boys will try their best. And it might just work :)

^^^this^^^ Nicely done sir

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We can't do much worse than last year and at least we wont have to go through the INTERNATIONAL EMBARRASSMENT caused by 3 of the 5.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
As much as I'd like to see the Americans win it again, I'd always thought that the Mosconi Cup was more of an exhibition to showcase the sport more for fun and promotion. While some national pride was at stake, it never seemed like a terribly serious or highly competitive situation but more like a friendly sort of all-star game among the best players in the sport that had the time to come and play. I don't know what the original intention of the Mosconi Cup was, or is currently, but it seems to have become awful serious business like some sort of world championship or an Olympic event.
Like I said, I'd like to see the Americans win it again, but what's the real intention of the Mosconi Cup,? How do the players see it?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Team USA will be in San Diego this weekend, appearing at On Cue Billiards in La Mesa on Saturday and Sunday (May 24 & 25). They are there benefiting local charities, something nearly unheard of before for American pool players. Mark, with Matchroom's help has organized this and other team gatherings in the future. They are about building team chemistry, something sorely lacking on past M Cup teams. I think it's great and I applaud Mark for what he is doing to benefit our sport!

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As much as I'd like to see the Americans win it again, I'd always thought that the Mosconi Cup was more of an exhibition to showcase the sport more for fun and promotion. While some national pride was at stake, it never seemed like a terribly serious or highly competitive situation but more like a friendly sort of all-star game among the best players in the sport that had the time to come and play. I don't know what the original intention of the Mosconi Cup was, or is currently, but it seems to have become awful serious business like some sort of world championship or an Olympic event.
Like I said, I'd like to see the Americans win it again, but what's the real intention of the Mosconi Cup,? How do the players see it?

As the number of total events dwindles, the Cups importance raises.

I think you sir however, are in a minority viewing the Cup as "more of an exhibition
to showcase the sport more for fun and promotion", than as meaningful event.
My opinion of coarse.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something close to life or death is how I would like them to see it , any other way wearing a American flag is totally unacceptable IMHO

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Team USA will be in San Diego this weekend, appearing at On Cue Billiards in La Mesa on Saturday and Sunday (May 24 & 25). They are there benefiting local charities, something nearly unheard of before for American pool players. Mark, with Matchroom's help has organized this and other team gatherings in the future. They are about building team chemistry, something sorely lacking on past M Cup teams. I think it's great and I applaud Mark for what he is doing to benefit our sport!

First time Poster - I think this is great! I live in San Diego and will try and attend - Out of town relatives are arriving then so will have to try and sneak away- But I have not heard any local advertising/news etc on this - hopefully the word will get out.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
team usa will be in san diego this weekend, appearing at on cue billiards in la mesa on saturday and sunday (may 24 & 25). They are there benefiting local charities, something nearly unheard of before for american pool players. Mark, with matchroom's help has organized this and other team gatherings in the future. They are about building team chemistry, something sorely lacking on past m cup teams. I think it's great and i applaud mark for what he is doing to benefit our sport!

tap< tap< tap. Jt

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
As the number of total events dwindles, the Cups importance raises.

I think you sir however, are in a minority viewing the Cup as "more of an exhibition
to showcase the sport more for fun and promotion", than as meaningful event.
My opinion of coarse.

I'm beginning to see that I'm in the minority. So it's meaningful, but to what end? What does it mean? I surly means something to us as fans on both sides of the ocean. We'd like to see our teams win, but it's not a world championship or an Olympic event, it doesn't even seem to carry bragging rights, What is it to the players? The Americans appear to lack interest, except in the Green Room games (or so I've heard).

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Bottom line, take care of the sport first, everything else will fall in place. At our core is, we only play for money, no other recognition. By giving a venue special meaning, it becomes humbling and changes peoples and players character and perception of pool. It takes them socially/emotionally to where they truly are always reaching for and belong but, sometimes don't know how to get there.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm beginning to see that I'm in the minority. So it's meaningful, but to what end? What does it mean? I surly means something to us as fans on both sides of the ocean. We'd like to see our teams win, but it's not a world championship or an Olympic event, it doesn't even seem to carry bragging rights, What is it to the players? The Americans appear to lack interest, except in the Green Room games (or so I've heard).

it's hard for lots of interest to flourish, besides hard core pool fans here in America
as the Cup is not shown on TV. Even as a hard core pool fan I have to wonder if I
will even be able to watch, hoping I will find a place to view it on the internet.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Excellent Post

Bottom line, take care of the sport first, everything else will fall in place. At our core is, we only play for money, no other recognition. By giving a venue special meaning, it becomes humbling and changes peoples and players character and perception of pool. It takes them socially/emotionally to where they truly are always reaching for and belong but, sometimes don't know how to get there.

Excellent post, and gets to the "meat of the coconut". I very much agree.

I know you are a former member of the USA Mosconi Cup team, and appreciate your comments.

Will Prout

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hmm, what do any sports mean?

I think it was more of an exhibition first. There was a pool boom underway in the US at the time, but it had not really caught on in Europe, so this was meant to promote the game there. There really weren't even any pool players in Europe at the time, so they used snooker players. Then, as the Europeans caught up, it became more of a serious competition.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Hmm, what do any sports mean?

I think it was more of an exhibition first. There was a pool boom underway in the US at the time, but it had not really caught on in Europe, so this was meant to promote the game there. There really weren't even any pool players in Europe at the time, so they used snooker players. Then, as the Europeans caught up, it became more of a serious competition.

The Superbowl, The World Series, NBA Championship Series, The Stanley Cup, those draw the interest of the entire effected community, everyone in the world of hockey has an interest in the Stanley Cup, all of the football community watches the Superbowl, All of baseball wants to see the World Series,, and the international Basketball community cares about the NBA Championship Series. Does the Mosconi Cup draw the interest of the entire pool / billiard world, or just here in the US and Europe? Do the Filipinos or other Asian countries watch this with interest in who wins?