Million Dollar Challenge Documentary

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people remember that Earl ran the 11 racks for the million dollars, but forget that he didn't win the tournament.

He lost in the finals to C. J. Wiley.

Both were using production cues. Earl was using his cheap white Cuetec and C. J. was using a McDermott RS-11. I own the cue that C. J. used and wonder what became of the cue Earl used.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people remember that Earl ran the 11 racks for the million dollars, but forget that he didn't win the tournament.

He lost in the finals to C. J. Wiley.

I forgot about that....kind of like how people forget that after the "Miracle on Ice" we still had to beat Finland for the gold.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Hi, Bill. I read your article. You said Earl made the 9 on the break 4 times -- Games 2 and 4 and two more times in Games 6-10. So your accounting differs from several others.

Jay hasn't responded yet as to whether he has viewed the video to check that his memory is correct, so if someone else reading this has the video, please view it again to confirm what Jay said -- that no 9's were made on the break while he racked.

Twenty years ago, not easy to remember niners on the briz, but it is what it is and this tit for tat is miniscule compared to what occurred.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Twenty years ago, not easy to remember niners on the briz, but it is what it is and this tit for tat is miniscule compared to what occurred.

Very true Bill..Even though this may have been possibly the most memorable incident in the history of pool, it is amazing how many actual live witnesses recall it differently! :rolleyes:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Very true Bill..Even though this may have been possibly the most memorable incident in the history of pool, it is amazing how many actual live witnesses recall it differently! :rolleyes:

It was an amazing time for all that were lucky enough to of been there the weekend of April 16th 1996 @ CJ's. Goose bumps were a risin'.:cool: Ironically I won the cue stick drawing also. But my article in P&B was spot on, that's for sure. Be nice to see someone do a copy/paste of that article, it would of course be the May or June issue of P&B mag.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was an amazing time for all that were lucky enough to of been there the weekend of April 16th 1996 @ CJ's. Goose bumps were a risin'.:cool: Ironically I won the cue stick drawing also. But my article in P&B was spot on, that's for sure. Be nice to see someone do a copy/paste of that article, it would of course be the May or June issue of P&B mag.
Something like this?

page1r2.jpg

page2r2.jpg

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
It was an amazing event for sure.....Up until that time, I didn't think I would ever see a performance in a tournament that would equal Bob Vanovers 9 racks and out at the Texas Open. But only a mere 15 or so years later....Earl shot the lights out.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi, Bill. I read your article. You said Earl made the 9 on the break 4 times -- Games 2 and 4 and two more times in Games 6-10. So your accounting differs from several others.

Jay hasn't responded yet as to whether he has viewed the video to check that his memory is correct, so if someone else reading this has the video, please view it again to confirm what Jay said -- that no 9's were made on the break while he racked.

Well, I have now viewed CJ's "Million Dollar Challenge" or "Billiard's Greatest Shot" documentary. And I am disappointed in having to report that it does not contain the video of all the racks while Jay was racking. In 2013, rather close to the intended release date, CJ said that one of the things it would show is "the last 5 racks run," but it does not. Unless I missed something, the only video shown of the match itself is:

• Earl making the 9-ball (and no other ball) on the break in one game (which game is not stated). He broke from just behind the head string and just off the long rail to his left, and the 9-ball went in the foot-rail pocket to Earl's right (racker's left). This would seem to contradict Jay's statement that none were made while he racked. I suppose it is possible that this break was not from this match (or was from one of the first 5 games, from some other camera), but was just inserted to illustrate Ben Tubbs' statement in the video about 9-balls being made on the break. However, the camera position and the rail birds look the same as for Game 10.

• Earl wiping off the balls in a towel and rolling them to Jay to rack for one of the games.

• Jay racking carefully for Game 10.

• Game 10 -- the break shot (made the 3-ball and 5-ball) and the 1/9 combination.

• A bit of the celebration after Game 10.

Why have I pursued this? After all, he ran the 11 racks and made history. That's all that's important, right? Well, I don't think so. SJD above called it "possibly the most memorable incident in the history of pool." On the video, CJ calls it "The biggest feat ever in the history of pool." Some of us like to know the details on historical pool events. How many 9's did he make on the break? How many early 9's (combos or caroms) did he make in the run? How many balls did he make on the breaks? How many of the games were difficult outs vs. cosmos? How many balls did he run in total? What happened in the rest of the match after he missed that bank shot in Game 12? Etc., etc, ...

For a long time, other sports have produced a profusion of information and stats on just about everything related to their events. I don't think it is going overboard to try to clarify or learn certain things about one of pool history's famous events.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I have now viewed CJ's "Million Dollar Challenge" or "Billiard's Greatest Shot" documentary. And I am disappointed in having to report that it does not contain the video of all the racks while Jay was racking. In 2013, rather close to the intended release date, CJ said that one of the things it would show is "the last 5 racks run," but it does not. Unless I missed something, the only video shown of the match itself is:

• Earl making the 9-ball (and no other ball) on the break in one game (which game is not stated). He broke from just behind the head string and just off the long rail to his left, and the 9-ball went in the foot-rail pocket to Earl's right (racker's left). This would seem to contradict Jay's statement that none were made while he racked. I suppose it is possible that this break was not from this match (or was from one of the first 5 games, from some other camera), but was just inserted to illustrate Ben Tubbs' statement in the video about 9-balls being made on the break. However, the camera position and the rail birds look the same as for Game 10.

• Earl wiping off the balls in a towel and rolling them to Jay to rack for one of the games.

• Game 10 -- the break shot (made the 3-ball and 5-ball) and the 1/9 combination.

Why have I pursued this? After all, he ran the 11 racks and made history. That's all that's important, right? Well, I don't think so. SJD above called it "possibly the most memorable incident in the history of pool." On the video, CJ calls it "The biggest feat ever in the history of pool." Some of us like to know the details on historical pool events. How many 9's did he make on the break? How many early 9's (combos or caroms) did he make in the run? How many balls did he make on the breaks? How many of the games were difficult outs vs. cosmos? How many balls did he run in total? What happened in the rest of the match after he missed that bank shot in Game 12? Etc., etc, ...

For a long time, other sports have produced a profusion of information and stats on just about everything related to their events. I don't think it is going overboard to try to clarify or learn certain things about one of pool history's famous events.

I have read and heard that he made five 9s on the break, but I don't know if that is factual or not.

Here is a link where Bob Jewitt mentions it.

http://www.sporttaco.com/rec.sport....The_Dallas_Million_Dollar_Challenge_4086.html

As I recall, Earl made the nine ball five times on the break in that run.

And by the tournament director John McChesney,

We were all amazed that he made at least a ball on the break each of the 11 racks .. that alone speaks volumes !! And yes .. he did make the 9 on the
break 5 times of the 11 .. ( at least 2 of them were when Jay racked )

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.thehypertexts.com/Earl Strickland Pool Billiards.htm

The truth - Earl - "The Dallas Million Dollar Challenge"
by John McChesney

Earl and the truth about the "Dallas Million Dollar Challenge" where Earl ran 11 racks [on] Thursday, April 11, 1996

I - John McChesney, Robin Adair and Jay Helfert were the tournament directors at the event at CJ's Billiard Palace in Dallas, Texas. The stipulation in the (payment) rules [was] instituted by the insurance company underwriter: SDS ... as follows:

The last 5 racks had to be racked by a neutral racker and filmed/taped. The reason Earl had to run 11 racks is that the tournament format was "rack your
own" and he simply would not stop at 5 ... and racked his own at 6 and ran out; then, I forced him to stop by stating that he would have to run 11 and
Jay Helfert then began the racking for racks number: 7,8,9,10 & 11 (the last 5 racks); and the filming/taping began.

Every spectator and every player in the event witnessed the remaining 5 racks ... as tournament play completely halted when it became apparent that Earl had a chance to complete the run.

I assure you that nothing was rigged in this event ... particularly the tables .. they were all triple shimmed new black Gold Crowns with new Championship Tournament grade cloth.

The reason for the delay in payment to Earl was due to lack of communications between the following 2 parties; The Marketing Continuum (the PCA/CJ Wiley hired them as their marketing company); and [the] SDS underwriters.

The insurance had been "bound" pursuant to Texas State Law, but the insurance company wanted to fight ... but in the end settled with both Earl and the PCA/CJ.

Incidentally, in order for SDS to underwrite the event ... statistical information had to be obtained and certified as to how difficult running 10 racks in tournament play would be; that information was provided by the PHD and Department of Statistical Information at the University of Texas and his/their department concluded that the odds were 1 in 6.5+- million attempts.

By the way ... Earl was playing Nick Mannino in the match and the final score was 15-1.

If you ( readers') bad information came to you via the rumor mill about this event or you simply think that it was an "urban legend" ... then you can use this information in the future to inform others that this is the real-deal about the "Dallas Million Dollar Challenge".

Lastly, Earl had an option (when this was settled with SDS) to accept either the annuity ($50k per year x 20 years); or, a lump sum settlement (of the principle) ... which was less (in total) to the annuity .. he accepted the lump sum payment.

John McChesney
CEO of Texas Express
and on behalf of: Robin Adair, Texas Express, Jay Helfert, Championship Billiards, CJ Wiley, CJ's Billiard Palace and Carson's Earl Strickland
and the hundreds of others who were either participants or spectators at the event

More information provided by John McChesney:

The statistical information derived was certainly based on what the University Department could use and that was information from sources ( at the time ) , i.e.,
Accustats, varius tour information and ( they ) asked many questions concerning past tournament(s). I .. and others involved in the event thought that the statistical info. was corrupted .. as I don't feel that the following was taken into consideration: If a player were to "attempt" to run 10 racks for a meaningful ( award );
then the player would have to take many chances that otherwise .. they would not in any particular game. I can remember that CJ and I were sitting about 6 feet from the table when Earl was on the run and can recall a few games in which he simply fired a "flier" ... for instance: he attempted a long table cut on the one ball and missed it badly but the cueball rebounded from the rail and sunk another ball in the side; another: he attempted a long table bank and made it and would never have tried this shot had he been in a "normal" match ( It would have been an easy duck .. as there were numerous balls to hide behind ) .. bottom line is: if one is attempting to run racks .. then one MUST attempt to make a ( pocketed legal ) shot every time. We were all amazed that he made at least a ball on the break each of the 11 racks .. that alone speaks volumes !! And yes .. he did make the 9 on the break 5 times of the 11 .. ( at least 2 of them were when Jay racked ) .. the final ( 11th ) game was by far the most incredible as he had a very interesting situation with the cueball at one end of the table ( about 1st diamond on long rail and short rail ) .. the one ball in the center of the table about 12" from the side with no shot in either side possible .. and the nine ball about 6-8" from the long rail and short rail at the other end of the table near the corner pocket .. the problem was: he could have made ( back-cut ) the one ball cleanly in the end pocket ( near the nine ball ) but there was no hope of getting the cue ball back in shape for the two ball .. ( too many balls and clusters blocking the way ) .. so Earl leaned down
and stroked a couple times .. got back up and stated .. I've got to go for it .. and then stroked once or twice and slammed home the ( very difficult ) one-nine combo in the corner .. Earl jumped about 40" of the floor when the nine went in .. and came down accidently with his cuetec on the corner of the table and promptly broke the joint .. and I was standing about 2 feet from him and he actually threw his arms around me ( at the time about 260 lbs. ) and picked me up and shook me .. he was soaking wet from perspiration and it took about 30 minutes for calm to be restored to the event before play resumed .. it was quite the
night to say the least.

John McChesney

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What McChesny describes there as "the final ( 11th ) game" was actually the 10th game of the 11-game run.

And the description is inaccurate. The 1-ball could have been cut sharply into the side pocket, but it would not fit past the 9-ball into the corner. Making it in the side, however, would have sent the cue ball into the 2-ball at pretty good speed, with uncertain position. So Earl quickly opted for the 1/9 combo.

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member

Its there....in the extras.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Its there....in the extras.

There were no extras on what I watched (at least not that I could find). CJ's website says the DVD is a 67-minute documentary, and what I watched was, indeed, 67 minutes long.

But if you do have a DVD with Games 7-11 shown as extras, I would appreciate your re-watching them and giving us a game-by-game accounting of those 5 games.

Edit -- No need for you to describe Game 10, as it was on the video I watched.

Last edited:

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
There were no extras on what I watched (at least not that I could find). CJ's website says the DVD is a 67-minute documentary, and what I watched was, indeed, 67 minutes long.

But if you do have a DVD with Games 7-11 shown as extras, I would appreciate your re-watching them and giving us a game-by-game accounting of those 5 games.

Edit -- No need for you to describe Game 10, as it was on the video I watched.

Go to the menu. It's on extra clips. #1

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did not see any menu, and I cannot watch it again. So, I would appreciate your re-watching Games 7, 8, 9, and 11 and giving us a game-by-game accounting.
The video footage of Earl running the racks must only be on the DVD and not on the online PPV i watched it online and did not see the video . :mad:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The video footage of Earl running the racks must only be on the DVD and not on the online PPV i watched it online and did not see the video . :mad:

Now that's a real bummer.

[Is it possible the games are actually there somewhere on the ppv video but neither one of us figured out how to find them?]

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that's a real bummer.

[Is it possible the games are actually there somewhere on the ppv video but neither one of us figured out how to find them?]

As has been explained, throughout this thread, any videos of Earl's amazing million dollar run, are only going to be available through CJ Wiley..And they are not likely ever going to be free, as he was the sole promoter of the costly event!..Can't say that I blame him, for wanting to recoup some of his outlay! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As has been explained, throughout this thread, any videos of Earl's amazing million dollar run, are only going to be available through CJ Wiley..And they are not likely ever going to be free, as he was the sole promoter of the costly event!..Can't say that I blame him, for wanting to recoup some of his outlay! :rolleyes:

I guess you did not understand. terryhanna purchased CJ Wiley's ppv, through his website. So did I. And I don't recall ever being told that the content of the video purchased that way was less than the content purchased as a DVD. (If it was less content; perhaps we just didn't find it.)

Last edited: