$Million Dollar Shootout Turnout and Schedule

allen_jr

CanYouRunOut.com
Silver Member
hello everyone, here is an official update and some info...

The Inaugural Million Dollar Shootout, sponsored by Diamond Billiards, Simonis Cloth, and the Laser Rack - will be played by 12 players. Here is the line-up:

1. Johnny Archer
2. Marlon Manalo
3. Francisco Bustamante
4. Shane Van Boening
(wow, easy lineup so far)
5. Dennis Hatch
6. Corey Deuel
7. Daryl Peach
8. Evan Broxmeyer
9. Tony Chohan
10. Matt Krah
11. Stevie Moore
12. Dennis Orcollo

My dad was scheduled to play, but he was available as an alternate - the event needs an even number of players to play the way we plannned, so he was in if we turned out with an odd number... John Schmidt was here, and at the players meeting.... from my understanding, his backer turned down at the last minute (wanted a bigger field), but not exactly sure, thats his business, not ours. If John had played, then my dad would have played to make the field an even number.

This event will start tomorrow at 1pm. Players had a draw at the meeting to determine starting playing order. Players will play each other a total of 25 games and keep score of games won and "break and runs". This is not a race to 25, or a race of any kind. They are guaranteed to play 25 games, win or lose. They could win 24-1, or lose 12-13. Their scores will carry with them throughout the event. At 7pm, players will convene and match up again, the players with the lowest scores will play each other, and the players with the best scores will play each other, and so on...

Play will continue in this manner until Saturday night. By that point, each player will have played 150 games of 9 ball, guaranteed. Thats 3 days of play before anyone is cut. Now, the top 4 players will be selected and the bottom 5-12 will be cut and paid $1000 each. Players will be selected based on total number of games won, if there is a tie, we use the "break and run" scores. If somehow its tied on both, those players will play a race to 7 to determine a winner.

The final 4 will return on Sunday and play a single elim race to 13 format. The player with the highest score will play the person with the lowest score. And the other two will play each other. The winner of each match will return to play the finals and win the title. Finals will be played at 5pm Sunday.

And the payouts, total prizepool $60,000:
1st: $20,000
2nd: $12,000
3rd/4th: $10,000
5-12th: $1000 each

So there it is. Yes, we did not get as many players as we hoped, but we got some of the best players in the world. We got players who have confidence in themselves and the foresight to see the direction this sport will go. We have players who are not afraid to put their money where their heart is, players who will not back down to a challenge and have faith in themselves to win.

This will be a great tournament for these players. They will get to battle through 150 games before anyone is eliminated... Yes, the money is not as great as we had hoped, but when was the last time 12 players played for a piece of $60,000? And they got to play 150 games before the cut?

Please be sure to visit www.theactionreport.com to keep track of what's going on, or come down and watch the event live and catch of piece of history. We will be doing this event next year, and the next year, and the next...we have an idea that can fill this event with players that have earned their way in for as little as $100, easily. More players will play in the future, and today's 12 will turn into tomorrows 12 dozen... They will be part of the legacy that this tournament will become.... come and watch!

These 12 players, win or lose, are all winners, for having the courage and integrity to lead the others to where this sport needs to go... we thank them for their support and are excited to provide this event for them and their fans. We know there are some other players who wanted to be here and play, but could not for whatever reason, and we thank them too...

Best of luck to all!

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Only totals 50k. Wheres the other 10?

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cubc said:

Only totals 50k. Wheres the other 10?
20 + 12 + 10 + 10 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 60.

I don't see the problem cubc.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Congratulations Allen and Allen.

I promise you that myself and Sterling Gaming will do a lot to help you promote this for the next year's event.

It will take quite a grassroots effort but it will be worth it. From now until the start of next year's event there will be a lot of qualifiers going on around the world to get people into this event.

I ask all pool fans in their respective locations to volunteer some time to help run some tournaments, be they weeklies with a payout at the end of x-weeks, monthlies, or one-off qualifiers, to get paid entries into this event.

Together let's see if we can build something worthwhile WITHOUT begging corporate America.

Be creative. As Ben Franklin wrote, many a mickle makes a nickle. I don't know what a mickle is but the sentiment is clear. Through many satelite events this one can certainly become a powerhouse event with a real chance for underdogs to do well.

Of course pool is different in that it takes a known quantity of physical prowess to succeed. But all the poker players agree that you won't finish high in a poker tournament on luck alone, especially in one with 10,000 players in it. So if anyone can remember the woman a few years ago who finished like 9th at the Poker World Championship and won something like 900,000 - who go in after playing in ONE $10 qualifier at her local bar, there is your inspiration!!!!

Just imagine for a moment IF this did really grow and it inspired a nation to get off their asses and play pool. Or a world. Maybe then pool will get to the place we all dream of.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I love the attempt that Allen has made for this event, but this is so, so sad for pool. I just hang my head and shake left to right...slowly. Why?

Yours truely,
Pool Lover

jondrums

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what's great is that over the next year several people will win spots through qualifiers long before the event. Their money is the ante that practically guarantees that plenty of people will show up for the already hefty prize pool. Great job getting this off the ground!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
jason said:
I love the attempt that Allen has made for this event, but this is so, so sad for pool. I just hang my head and shake left to right...slowly. Why?

Yours truely,
Pool Lover

Yes, why hang your head?

The World Series of Poker World Championship has been in existence for 25 or so years.

In fact - the Million Dollar Shootout already has more players than the first WSOP World Championship.

http://www.worldseriesofpoker.com/wsop/history.asp

They had seven players - we have 12 that weren't scared.

Last year they had 8,772 players in the events and paid out 12 Million to the Winner and over 100 million overall.

So who know where this can go? You can build a wall of negatives for sure but with persistence and some help I bet that it can grow into a huge event.

I would love to play in some weekly tournaments and have a shot at finishing first and getting my entry to this event secured. In fact I am going to run as many satellites as I can in and around Xiamen China to give myself and my fellow players the best chance we can.

Here is ANOTHER idea!!!!

Do the weekly tournament series but make it a sort of group thing where the best player in the series gets the entry fee (and maybe expenses) but the return is divided among the people who played in the tournaments.

This way it's not so much that the losers are supporting the winner but that the community is investing in the best player to send. Then everyone involved looks to gain something and a lot of community pride will be instilled in the people playing and the player who ends up with the entry fee.

200 players x $5000 = $1,000,000 Prize Fund

My God people. If WE as a World Community can't get 200 players together with PAID entries to this event in the next 12 months then something is seriously wrong with us.

I make cue cases. JB Cases will sponsor 1 player into this event next year. There it is - 1 guaranteed spot. I don't know who the player will be. Maybe a raffle chosen from all my customers. I don't know. But JB Cases guarantees Allen Hopkins one paid spot in the Million Dollar Shootout 2009.

Now people it's up to me and you to help fill the other 199 spots.

Are you up for it?

Tom4change

Registered
Predictions?

First I do have to agree with Allen and commend him too. This event can be massive if WE ALL stop looking at short term wins and money and start focusing our collective energies on the big world picture of what this sport can become for the world. How can we get more people who are casual players interested in becoming serious players?

Allen in my mind for the work you and your father give to this sport you are the pioneers we all need in taking pool to the next level (just my humble opinion). THANK YOU!!!

My prediction to win this event is Matt Krah just because he happens to be a friend of mine. Lets not forget I think he would be considered the hometown hero being from Delaware. GO MATT

Tom

9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
allen_jr said:

The Inaugural Million Dollar Shootout, sponsored by Diamond Billiards, Simonis Cloth, and the Laser Rack - will be played by 12 players. Here is the line-up:

1. Johnny Archer
2. Marlon Manalo
3. Francisco Bustamante
4. Shane Van Boening
5. Dennis Hatch
6. Corey Deuel
7. Daryl Peach
8. Evan Broxmeyer
9. Tony Chohan
10. Matt Krah
11. Stevie Moore
12. Dennis Orcollo

Best of luck to all!

Allen! Congrats! to you and you dad for putting this on. I see a great future in this and always believed in your dad 100%. I played in a tournament years ago with him and found him to be and upstanding person at the time, and I`m sure he still is.wish I could be there to play or watch , But maybe next year. Tell your dad I wish him and you the best with this event.

A friend in KC! :smile:

BigDogatLarge

Da pool gods are laughin'
Silver Member
I have requested...

I have requested to be the first League Operator for the 2009 season. I will try my best to send three paid players based on the Hopkins formula. I believe in what they are doing for the players and for cuesports in general. As was stated earlier, and I will post it stronger. Get off your collective asses and make cuesports what it can be. The best game in town. These 12 players are the standard this year. I am reading 200 players next year... do I hear 250???

Rack 'em!!!

Dwight

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
How many room owners who read AZ Billiards will commit to one player in this event next year?

How many manufacturers who read AZ Billiards will commit to one player for this event next year?

How about AZ Billiards as a community itself? One year we sent a player to the US Open? Why don't we send a player to this event?

How many of the TOURS who read AZ Billiards will commit to at LEAST one player in next year's event?

Truly there are so many creative ways to fill this event that are NOT CHARITY!

We have a year to figure it out.

donny mills

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
allen_jr said:

1. Johnny Archer
2. Marlon Manalo
3. Francisco Bustamante
4. Shane Van Boening
5. Dennis Hatch
6. Corey Deuel
7. Daryl Peach
8. Evan Broxmeyer
9. Tony Chohan
10. Matt Krah
11. Stevie Moore
12. Dennis Orcollo

My dad was scheduled to play, but he was available as an alternate - the event needs an even number of players to play the way we plannned, so he was in if we turned out with an odd number... John Schmidt was here, and at the players meeting.... from my understanding, his backer turned down at the last minute (wanted a bigger field), but not exactly sure, thats his business, not ours. If John had played, then my dad would have played to make the field an even number.

This event will start tomorrow at 1pm. Players had a draw at the meeting to determine starting playing order. Players will play each other a total of 25 games and keep score of games won and "break and runs". This is not a race to 25, or a race of any kind. They are guaranteed to play 25 games, win or lose. They could win 24-1, or lose 12-13. Their scores will carry with them throughout the event. At 7pm, players will convene and match up again, the players with the lowest scores will play each other, and the players with the best scores will play each other, and so on...

Play will continue in this manner until Saturday night. By that point, each player will have played 150 games of 9 ball, guaranteed. Thats 3 days of play before anyone is cut. Now, the top 4 players will be selected and the bottom 5-12 will be cut and paid $1000 each. Players will be selected based on total number of games won, if there is a tie, we use the "break and run" scores. If somehow its tied on both, those players will play a race to 7 to determine a winner.

The final 4 will return on Sunday and play a single elim race to 13 format. The player with the highest score will play the person with the lowest score. And the other two will play each other. The winner of each match will return to play the finals and win the title. Finals will be played at 5pm Sunday.

And the payouts, total prizepool $60,000:

So there it is. Yes, we did not get as many players as we hoped, but we got some of the best players in the world. We got players who have confidence in themselves and the foresight to see the direction this sport will go. We have players who are not afraid to put their money where their heart is, players who will not back down to a challenge and have faith in themselves to win.

This will be a great tournament for these players. They will get to battle through 150 games before anyone is eliminated... Yes, the money is not as great as we had hoped, but when was the last time 12 players played for a piece of $60,000? And they got to play 150 games before the cut?

Please be sure to visit www.theactionreport.com to keep track of what's going on, or come down and watch the event live and catch of piece of history. We will be doing this event next year, and the next year, and the next...we have an idea that can fill this event with players that have earned their way in for as little as $100, easily. More players will play in the future, and today's 12 will turn into tomorrows 12 dozen... They will be part of the legacy that this tournament will become.... come and watch!

These 12 players, win or lose, are all winners, for having the courage and integrity to lead the others to where this sport needs to go... we thank them for their support and are excited to provide this event for them and their fans. We know there are some other players who wanted to be here and play, but could not for whatever reason, and we thank them too...

Best of luck to all!
Courage?? Who wouldn't have courage if they're getting staked?

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
I totally agree with JB Cases.

This thing can be BIG, but Allen and Allen can't do it all together. They need people who believe in them, to help them promote this event.

The next couple of weeks we should all try to ask the promotors of our local leagues/tournaments, if it's possible to save some $ each month, and then make a qualifier next summer with the saved $ as added money for that qualifier. This way there can be a whole lot of players in the 2009 event.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael-Hoang said:
The World Series of Poker started out with only a handful of players.

Good luck to you guys.

My friend worked there when they started the WSOP-lots of great stories, it started as a rackett to get the oil bots from Texas to come to Vegas so the big guys could rob them, and it worked.

More importantly I heard from relalible source that there was going to be over 30 players there-late $$$. Sadly that didnt happen. However as you said "Rome wasnt built in a day". This is a huge step for pool, I hope everyone walks away happy that will insure a better turnout next, if less players show up next year its history, However I dont believe that will happen. The economy is in the shitter, hell If I havent lost my Biz there are a couple guys I might have put in it, the $$$ guys are hurting as the players are.

If next year is bigger than this year Allen has something really big for pool, it just needs to get some traction. Next year will give us the read on how successful it will be. And More qualifyers should happen because this years tournment DID happen. I give it a 75% chance of success, I pray that it is blows up over the next few years and feeds on itself. As long as it isnt a top heavy pay schedual it will grow and grow. Its possible that it will out shine the US Open. To have $$ in pool you have to put $$ into pool, $600 entry and some added $$$ thats well (never mind) not enught to make it happen, Allen has the formula, its up to the promoters to have sattalights to make it work.

best of luck

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Come ON Fatboy - you ain't down to your last chips that you couldn't have put a player in the box here. But be that as it may - you can commit to at least ONE player for 2009. You might have to sell a tire off off one of those Ferraris or sumthin but you can stake a shot at a couple hundred grand. :)

Noone that asks the Tooth to flip for a hundred thousand is gonna complain about a lousy 5 dimes when they are shooting at 200 more.

So up for next year! Geez I feel like Jerry Lewis here.