MIZERAK "DOVE BALABUSHKA" All of Steve's cues tucked in the family closet now seen

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Refinishing the Classics

Magnificent collection, and I'm glad the Mizerak cues were professionally refinished. So often, the question comes up, should a historical cue be refinished? There is a legion of naysayers who come on and say no. Thankfully, they are so far, absent on this thread.

The cues are presented at their best, with all original colors and detail. I'm glad the owner chose to go this way and refinish.

In addition to these magnificent Mizerak cues, I'd like to see Mosconi's Bushka refinished and displayed, along with Crane's, and Lassiter's, among many, to go along with this historic collection.

WW

HighEndCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey AZer's,
Thanks for all the kind words.
I knew all the good people here on AZ would appreciate seeing a bit of history. Steve Mizerak was one of the true legends of Billiards, and will never be forgotten. The "Dove Balabushka" is one of the true unicorns for any collector. I had heard so much about it, but never had the pleasure to finally having it in my hands. The collection was a true time capsule and was undisturbed just the way Steve left it.
In one of his cases I actually found a pair of Steve's contact lens still in the package.
Many have asked about value and comparing it to some of the other legendary cues. I believe these cues importance rate with the best, and value will be determinded by someone who would want that.
It was a true pleasure being at the Mizerak residence, and speaking for hours with his lovely wife Karen. I'd compare it to going to the Billiards Hall of Fame.
Best,
Ken Kerner

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Dennis did and exceptional job with Steve's Bushka's.. No two better people to work on Georges cues than Dennis or Pete

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those are some great cues. I did not read the whole thread if I missed the answers to my questions, but I am curious if we know who built the point blanks for those cues?

I assume that the fancy Bushka would be one of the top dollar cues on the planet? What place would you rank it?

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

I knew Steve since I was a kid, played him quite a few times.
I draw Steve first match, table one, with people breathing on top of us,in what was called a Super Tournament in West End N.J.

The first rack I am running out then dog an easy 6 ball, Steve runs out.
As I am racking he comes over, puts his arm around my shoulder and says,
You are a great player ( Stop Trembling ) It's not your first rodeo.

I look at him a little confused, why is he telling me this with nice money on the line ( Ruled out a shark move ) Steve would never shark.

I say to him as a joke, lets play for cues, I am using a Paradise Titleist.

He says if I lose my bird to you I am moving in with you.

He always treated me nice and passed me many nice tips.
Being the kid around champs was a lot of fun.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

I knew Steve since I was a kid, played him quite a few times.
I draw Steve first match, table one, with people breathing on top of us,in what was called a Super Tournament in West End N.J.

The first rack I am running out then dog an easy 6 ball, Steve runs out.
As I am racking he comes over, puts his arm around my shoulder and says,
You are a great player ( Stop Trembling ) It's not your first rodeo.

I look at him a little confused, why is he telling me this with nice money on the line ( Ruled out a shark move ) Steve would never shark.

I say to him as a joke, lets play for cues, I am using a Paradise Titleist.

He says if I lose my bird to you I am moving in with you.

He always treated me nice and passed me many nice tips.
Being the kid around champs was a lot of fun.

Thanks for sharing story.

Ken

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you

Thank you Ken the pictures and their history is something very special. If there was an award for post of the year yours would get my vote.It makes me really appreciate Cues and Cue collecting.Thanks again.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
If that cue could talk, imagine all the stories it would have to tell...

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations!

Sanj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey AZer's,
Thanks for all the kind words.
I knew all the good people here on AZ would appreciate seeing a bit of history. Steve Mizerak was one of the true legends of Billiards, and will never be forgotten. The "Dove Balabushka" is one of the true unicorns for any collector. I had heard so much about it, but never had the pleasure to finally having it in my hands. The collection was a true time capsule and was undisturbed just the way Steve left it.
In one of his cases I actually found a pair of Steve's contact lens still in the package.
Many have asked about value and comparing it to some of the other legendary cues. I believe these cues importance rate with the best, and value will be determinded by someone who would want that.
It was a true pleasure being at the Mizerak residence, and speaking for hours with his lovely wife Helen. I'd compare it to going to the Billiards Hall of Fame.
Best,
Ken Kerner

Helen?
Are you sure?
Great cue .

poQet trainer

hahahahahahahahahahahahah
Silver Member
those cues shot some of the best pool ever. I wonder if they'll ever see the light again.
great collection