Moisture Problem

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a poolroom here in town where I play league. Once a week, that's all I go there. Every time I'm there, the wrap on my cue becomes saturated with moisture. It seems I am the only one in the building who has this problem. Someone told me yesterday to put bees wax on my wrap. I have never heard of such a thing. Does anyone know of this procedure or of any procedure I can do to prevent this from happening? Obviously, not going there would stop it but I'm kind of obligated until this session is over with...

OUSooner

Known Fish
Silver Member
Are your hands sweating or are you dunking it in the sink?

Is it a new wrap? Bees wax or even turtle wax works but it will be a little tacky when your hands get hot and sweat on it. Maybe get a local cuemaker to put a finish on it of some sort to make it slick.

Please elaborate on what's causing the problem and how it bothers you so the forum can properly address it. I've never heard of a wrap just randomly collecting moisture other than hand sweat or someone pouring a drink on it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Look on the bright side. Be happy that you're not old and have a moisture
problem in your pants.

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not Sweating

My hands are not sweating. It's a weird phenomena. It only happens in that poolroom, but doesn't seem to happen to anyone else. It's almost like there is a humidifying system there. I have to wear "the glove" on my bridge hand when I play there. That is the only place I wear that glove.
My cue is a 40+ year old Joss and the wrap is probably the original wrap. It is a light grey Irish linen which turns nearly black while I'm there. There is no coating whatsoever on the wrap. I have noticed that most of the other cues there being newer, have some sort of coating on the linen, or they are nylon wrapped.
Anyway, I was ther for about 6 hours and my wrap was absolutely drenched. The next day, I spent 8+ hours at the poolroom I normally go to and had no problems with moisture. On top of that, it was rainy and the A/C does not work properly, still no moisture problem...

Yes, I'm thankful I don't yet have the moisture problem in my pants...lol!

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Cue

I think your cue is loaded up with moisture from the case or where it's stored

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wrap has no Finnish..I deal with the same problem.
Except no matter where I'm at,if theres high humidity I'll
Know shortly..theres only a couple months I have no problem.
Been this way for years..my cue is still fine..but it does suck.
And has nothing to do with my hand or beverage.

Every player knows to wrap the glass..or bottle..lol

You all have a good wkend.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
There is a poolroom here in town where I play league. Once a week, that's all I go there. Every time I'm there, the wrap on my cue becomes saturated with moisture. It seems I am the only one in the building who has this problem. Someone told me yesterday to put bees wax on my wrap. I have never heard of such a thing. Does anyone know of this procedure or of any procedure I can do to prevent this from happening? Obviously, not going there would stop it but I'm kind of obligated until this session is over with...

Try drying your hands as often as possible, carry a towel with you when you go tp play.

Seneca Steve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know exactly what you are talking about. There is one pool room where I play occasionally where they leave the doors open. If I leave my cue out of the case for awhile the linen wrap will get soaking wet. If I put the cue back in the case between matches it helps some. Just HIGH humidity. Probably could put something on my wrap to help but I like the way the linen feels without any dressing on it. This only happens at that pool room.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Look on the bright side. Be happy that you're not old and have a moisture
problem in your pants.

I can relate, Blue.
The other day at the pool hall I went to the little boys room to relieve myself, and I pissed in my face. I was wearing my anti-gravity suit at the time.

Does this joke make any sense to anybody, but me? :smile:

Jdale

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you live in a dry climate and the pool room in question is being cooled by a swamp/evaporator cooler, forced air through water cooled fiber pads, the humidity is going to be very high. It's almost as bad as those misting hoses people put on their patios, wet !!! Maybe you'll have start taking a fresh roll of paper towels to that room with you, good luck.
JDale

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Twice in 50 years I have seen this problem. I had a customer leave a cue for refinishing recently and I left it on my table saw overnight, the next day the cue was soaked, the saw was stained and there was a puddle where the cue had rested. Nothing else in my shop was even damp and there are really a lot of other things in my shop. I stripped the wrap and the handle was wet underneath. I dried it with a heat gun, lightly sanded it, soaked it 12 hours in lacquer thinner, then 2 hours in acetone and then 4 coats of oxalic acid (a dessicant) and finally got it to the point where it didn't feel damp. I suspect the cue case is somehow involved along with sweaty hands.

The problem is somewhere with you, your cue and its total environment. The pool room just makes the problem evident.

Bees wax would be a complete disaster and should be confined to use in candles.

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Local Cuemaker

Well, I talked to a local cuemaker yesterday. He said he would dress my wrap for me and see if that helps. Lots of players wear the bridge hand glove at this particular poolroom due to the humidity. I don't store my cue in the car and the inside of my case is not wet. Since this only happens at that particlar poolroom I believe the problem is there and since my wrap has no dressing it easily absorbs the moisture. I'm going to let the cuemaker dress my wrap and see if that solves it. It can't hurt anything and it might actually help to preserve my 40 year old wrap.

Thanks for all the responses.

By the way, he also told me the bees wax would be a disaster.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Well, I talked to a local cuemaker yesterday. He said he would dress my wrap for me and see if that helps. Lots of players wear the bridge hand glove at this particular poolroom due to the humidity. I don't store my cue in the car and the inside of my case is not wet. Since this only happens at that particlar poolroom I believe the problem is there and since my wrap has no dressing it easily absorbs the moisture. I'm going to let the cuemaker dress my wrap and see if that solves it. It can't hurt anything and it might actually help to preserve my 40 year old wrap.

Letting a cue maker dress your wrap is a very good idea. But as far as your cases being dry you may be surprised. If you have stored your cue in it with a wet wrap it is also wet inside, and the better the case seals when closed the longer it will take to dry out.

Never store your cue with a wet wrap, take it home and let it dry before placing it back in the case.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I also shoot with a JOSS of similar age.

A proper dressing of the wrap may help. It probably needs a little TLC anyway and it will likely help preserve it. You didn't say how he intends to dress the wrap. Personally, if it were my JOSS, I would want to know. There are different ways of doing it.

I don't have this problem with my JOSS, but I do have some thoughts.

What kind of case are you using? You might be surprised, if you have put the wet cue away in it, it probably is holding a lot of moisture.

My wrap does get a little wet sometimes, just from my hands. I just air dry it, out of the case. But it has never been so wet as you describe.

There have been times when condensation has really built up on my wrap. I found that after I came here to Florida and would go in and out of air conditioning. I literally hung the cue butt in my closet for three days one time to make sure it was dry after such an episode.

Air dry the cue if/when it happens, outside the case.

Also, air dry the case. Leave the case open.

You could also drop one or two of those little Silica Gel Desiccant packs into the case.

My wrap, by the way, has never really been touched outside of me wiping it off. It shows it too, but if feels and works perfectly:

IMG_0194.JPG

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
The other day at the pool hall I went to the little boys room to relieve myself, and I pissed in my face. I was wearing my anti-gravity suit at the time.

Does this joke make any sense to anybody, but me? :smile:

They don't let old people wear anti-gravity suits because they keep screaming,
"Help! I fell up and I can't get down." :)

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think it has to do with the age and type of wrap. I have nearly the same thing... light gray (almost white) irish linen on an old brunswick... but now it looks almost brown or even black. It gets damp fast while I play. However, in my case it's 100% sweat. Where other people's sweat seems to just go away... my wrap just holds it like a sponge. And it stays that way the whole evening.

I don't have a fix for you except that I wash and dry my hands frequently, using one of those air dryers if possible. Over time it seems to have decreased. Not sure if that means I sweat less or the wrap's just gotten coated with a protective layer of grime :/