Monster cues?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
My two are going strong.

You have a tendency to make things up because you don’t like Dean.

The cues are good playing cues.

Here are my two, top and bottom, with lots of play on them and they are holding up fine.

If your cues falls apart after the third rack, it may be you and not the cues. Be more careful or take some lessons.

View attachment 612605
I still have the photos of the one that Dean scrambled to get back, nothing made up about it. They were a disaster that you suck up to, it does the rest of the cue world a tremendous disservice

Completely disqualifies you from talking about monsters with your department store cue collection

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still have the photos of the one that Dean scrambled to get back, nothing made up about it. They were a disaster that you suck up to, it does the rest of the cue world a tremendous disservice

Completely disqualifies you from talking about monsters with your department store cue collection
I don’t gather cues to barter like you do.

I have cues that play well…something you would know nothing about, being a non-player.

You are like the department store guy.

Buy stuff, sell stuff based upon whatever someone else tells them plays good because you don’t play well enough to distinguish.

I played with the first one I have before I got it. I knew what condition it was in and how it played. I liked it so well that I got another one. It is just as good as the first one.

Fishinguy

Thanks all for your replies, basically what I thought the term to mean is correct. I thought it would be subjective to the person that owns it or is going to buy it. I will say a lot of them are flat out beautiful and play great but I can’t justify spending $5-10k since I’d have to take a loan out for one 😢

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks all for your replies, basically what I thought the term to mean is correct. I thought it would be subjective to the person that owns it or is going to buy it. I will say a lot of them are flat out beautiful and play great but I can’t justify spending $5-10k since I’d have to take a loan out for one 😢

Buy a cue that plays good, but isn’t overly expensive.

Don’t worry about fancy looks and bells and whistles.

Carry a picture of a fancy expensive cue in your wallet where the money you saved is.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is a Monster cue? Read this post from 2010.

One day you will hit the Jackpot and you will know.
Also, there is no such thing as a "Jackpot cue".

You own a Schmelke Cue without a logo that was made in the Schmelke factory in Wisconsin.

Anyone can call up Schmelke and order the exact same cue.

Dean's claims that Jack Potter custom-made these cues in his shop have been proven to be false.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is a Monster cue? Read this post from 2010.

Also, there is no such thing as a "Jackpot cue".

You own a Schmelke Cue without a logo that was made in the Schmelke factory in Wisconsin.

Anyone can call up Schmelke and order the exact same cue.

Dean's claims that Jack Potter custom-made these cues in his shop have been proven to be false.
The cues were sold by that name, so that is what they are referred to as.

Nobody has said that Schmelke could not make the cue for someone else that I know of. The dimensions on these cues are not the “standard” dimensions you would get by just asking for an ebony Schmelke Merry Widow. The butts are much slimmer.

Order one if you want one.

I had Schmelke make me a cue with no logo several years back. Every cue looks better with no stamped logo. I don’t mind small signatures on a cue, but I don’t want big fat lettering…even if it is a $5,000 cue by a famous maker.

Here is one that I had made to my specs from head to toe. Sneaky Pete, Purple Heart into Ebony Nose. Leather wrap and G-10 pin with no metal in the cue and no artificial weighting.

Schmelke can make cues that play as good as the really expensive cues by more well-known and recognized names.

3CE3352B-FCCD-46EE-B9D0-4CB8B7D10E6F.jpeg

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree. It is not the exact same cue.

Unless Dean is a dealer or distributor for Schmelke, the cues he sold are secondary and do not have the Schmelke warranty, offering far less value.

I guess everybody buys the bad stuff that needs some kind of warranty.

I have bought many cues, production and custom, and have never needed to send one back. I have cues that are 50 years old that I bought brand new.

What kind of warranty do you need? Is the transmission on your cue going bad?

Will Joey warranty his cues? If so, against what and for how long?

I have a doctor friend here who has a Joey cue and brings it to the pool hall sometimes and I have played with it. It doesn’t look any better than my Jackpot, as far as looks go, and I think mine plays better. The doctor always asks to hit some with my cue when I run into him.

I am looking at an original Balabushka shaft online and the ad says, “slightly warped”. Did Balabushka offer a warranty?

I see tons of ads for high-dollar cues in the forums here with similar terminology.

Why aren’t all those cues being sent back for “warranty repair” before they are being listed?”

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

I have bought many cues, production and custom, and have never needed to send one back. I have cues that are 50 years old that I bought brand new.

I have a doctor friend here who has a Joey cue and brings it to the pool hall sometimes and I have played with it. It doesn’t look any better than my Jackpot, as far as looks go, and I think mine plays better. The doctor always asks to hit some with my cue when I run into him.

I am looking at an original Balabushka shaft online and the ad says, “slightly warped”. Did Balabushka off a warranty?

I see tons of ads for high-dollar cues in the forums here with similar terminology.

Why aren’t all those cues being sent back for “warranty repair” before they are being listed?”

I guarantee Joey has never shipped a cue out with a hollow butt, that was falling apart after 2 weeks.

But when you said your dead special to a real custom builder to tune up, calling it a jackpot is like me saying a VW built on top of a Subaru is still a VW

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guarantee Joey has never shipped a cue out with a hollow butt, that was falling apart after 2 weeks.

But when you said your dead special to a real custom builder to tune up, calling it a jackpot is like me saying a VW built on top of a Subaru is still a VW
I have never sent my Jackpots cues anywhere to have anything done to them.

Ask the “real custom builder” here and see what he says, or should I just copy and paste what he said before to prove you a liar again?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I have never sent my Jackpots cues anywhere to have anything done to them.

Ask the “real custom builder” here and see what he says, or should I just copy and paste what he said before to prove you a liar again?

You're saying your special player is a 100% Schmelke cue? No one else contributed to it?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

I am looking at an original Balabushka shaft online and the ad says, “slightly warped”. Did Balabushka offer a warranty?

The point is a warranty has value, regardless if it is needed or not.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're saying your special player is a 100% Schmelke cue? No one else contributed to it?

The Jackpot I play with is my original one I got from the original buyer here in Hawaii.

That is the one you see in the photos showing what is in my case that I take to the pool hall. I seldom carry the Jackpot with the camphor burl handle.

The photo below shows the cues in my bag. The bag holds three cues. I always carry the first Jackpot, which I normally play with, and the Becue. I change up on the third cue I carry to give some of my closet queens some fresh
air.

BLUF: I would not carry the Jackpot to the pool hall and use it if it didn’t play good. I have a dozen or more cues to choose from.

72160F63-6CB3-4618-A8B2-404DC0283CF2.jpeg

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The point is a warranty has value, regardless if it is needed or not.

Most any cue maker or seller will take a cue back if it is defective when you get it or maybe a short while afterward, but not many will give you a multi-year or lifetime warranty.

Point me to a custom shaft maker that will warranty his shafts for a lifetime. I am looking to buy some shafts now.

Point me to a custom cue maker who will refinish their cues if/when the rings and inlays pop through the finish.

I have nothing against warranties. I wish everybody would warranty their stuff and honor the warranties.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Dude, quit comparing your jackpot to my cue. We get it. Yours hits the best.
Compare it to $20,000 Gus.
That would be more impressive.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude, quit comparing your jackpot to my cue. We get it. Yours hits the best.
Compare it to $20,000 Gus.
That would be more impressive.

Loan me a Gus. :)
I will send it back.
I promise.

FWIW, it hits better than a Predator 4-point Sneaky Pete I had and a Merry Widow that Richard Black made custom for me. Names and prices do not necessarily mean a cue hits better than a lesser name or cheaper cue.

Last edited: