Cost of a shaft

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Ok I have thought about a build off for awhile now. I will do the initial set up and run it. All interested cue builders that are interested can pm me. I will put together the required cue specs on a basic cue for each entry keeping it fair. All entries will remain anonymous until build off is over. Once winner is announced the cues would then be raffled off for charity here on AZ. All cue builders will be in agreement on this term and can vote on what charity will benefit. This is just a quick draft. Post here in the thread if you agree and are interested in me running this. I would like to stay with cue builders who are members here on AZ. The Cues will be judged by 12 selected AZ members based on various subjects and use a grading scale of 1 to 5. The winning builder will receive a decorated plaque to hang in their shop. Just trying to get the ball rolling and would love to do it.

You should start a new thread with build-off in the title so folks know where to look.

cbaumann212

Jackass Extraordinaire
Silver Member
So which is it? Either you have something to prove or you don't. No matter. You are right & I am wrong. It's just that I had aspirations of someday building a cue that other people could appreciate. I guess I should put in the time to research & develop something that stands out among the crowd & is desirable to players. I imagine what it would be like.

Imagine spending half of your days answering emails & phone calls from players all over the world, only to tell them that you cannot accept their orders due to you being solid booked indefinitely. Imagine doing that day after day, year after year. Imagine them telling you it doesn't matter how long it takes, just please keep their name on record so if & when you have time in the future, you might consider building them a cue. Imagine getting order requests from not only pro players, but hall of fame legends. I'm not talking about sponsor requests, but paying orders. Imagine what it would be like to come home from a two week family vacation to see 300 emails & your answering machine maxed out with folks wanting cues. Sounds ludicrous doesn't it? That would be the shizzle. How much confidence & sense of accomplishment would that give you knowing that you have cue orders for the rest of your life & as many as you can build? That would be awesome. I mean, isn't that the dream that drives aspiring cue builders? Big imagination I have, I know. What can I say? I'm a dreamer.

If you reach that point, i'll accept your challenge gladly. You'll be in my league & might have something i'm interested in learning. Until then, you got nothing for me to compete for.

Tap, tap, tap.

cbaumann212

Jackass Extraordinaire
Silver Member
Ok I have thought about a build off for awhile now. I will do the initial set up and run it. All interested cue builders that are interested can pm me. I will put together the required cue specs on a basic cue for each entry keeping it fair. All entries will remain anonymous until build off is over. Once winner is announced the cues would then be raffled off for charity here on AZ. All cue builders will be in agreement on this term and can vote on what charity will benefit. This is just a quick draft. Post here in the thread if you agree and are interested in me running this. I would like to stay with cue builders who are members here on AZ. The Cues will be judged by 12 selected AZ members based on various subjects and use a grading scale of 1 to 5. The winning builder will receive a decorated plaque to hang in their shop. Just trying to get the ball rolling and would love to do it.

Just wondering what that has to do with this thread?

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member

After some thought on this subject ... I must ask ... WHY?

Cue making is not a competition like some game show.
Most cue makers ... myself included ... make cues not to compete with others but rather to compete with themselves.

So WHY would a cue maker want to participate in a cue build off?
Is not the act of making a cue in itself satisfying enough?
Must one seek to prove his worth in a public competition?

I say make your cue and let the pool players pass judgment with their hard earned money.

I do know when I make a fine cue and also when I make a stinker ... no one else needs to tell me and I dont need any awards or ribbons on my shop wall to prove the quality of my craftsmanship.

Just my two cents worth.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

It would benefit those who have not built a name yet.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would benefit those who have not built a name yet.
A "cue build off" is so last year.

If a cuemaker really wants to build a name, all they have to do is get a few key members of AZB to endorse their cues and swear that they are the second coming of Gus Szamboti (making sure to use the phrases "jam-up", "hits a ton", and "monster player" when posting their reviews).*

Plenty of AZB members will buy their cues simply out of curiousity; to see "what the hype is all about".

Another significant number of AZB members will buy in hopes that this cue will make them pocket balls like Efren Reyes or Shane VanBoening.

Take note that this is the same market segment who will purchase the latest Low-Deflection shaft or premium layered tip in hopes of fast-tracking their pool game, rather than putting in the time and effort to actually practice.

Yet another segment of AZB members will buy because this cue is the "flavor-of-the-week". They will showcase it on "league night" to let everyone else know that they are keeping up with the latest trends.

Pretty soon the cuemaker's plain-janes will sell for $1200 or more.

Why?

Because a great majority of the cue buying public, especially here on AZB, isn't all as sophisticated as they would like to believe.

Then the market bottoms out and people start to wake up to what they actually purchased. :eek:

My advice to a newer cuemaker would be to build a cue that they would feel proud to play with. And to remember that cuemakers made great cues and built solid reputations way before "cue build offs", AZB, and the internet. They did it the old fashioned way... They paid their dues and earned it.

* THE FINE PRINT: Everything said here can work against a cuemaker too. If a few key members of AZB have a problem with them or their cues, they might as well quit making cues and go crawl under a rock. Their name will be mud and they won't ever sell one single thing on this forum.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member

If a cuemaker really wants to build a name, all they have to do is get a few key members of AZB to endorse their cues and swear that they are the second coming of Gus Szamboti (making sure to use the phrases "jam-up", "hits a ton", and "monster player" when posting their reviews).*

Plenty of AZB members will buy their cues simply out of curiousity; to see "what the hype is all about".

Another significant number of AZB members will buy in hopes that this cue will make them pocket balls like Efren Reyes or Shane VanBoening.

Take note that this is the same market segment who will purchase the latest Low-Deflection shaft or premium layered tip in hopes of fast-tracking their pool game, rather than putting in the time and effort to actually practice.

Yet another segment of AZB members will buy because this cue is the "flavor-of-the-week". They will showcase it on "league night" to let everyone else know that they are keeping up with the latest trends.

Why?

Because a great majority of the cue buying public, especially here on AZB, isn't all as sophisticated as they would like to believe.

Then the market bottoms out and people start to wake up to what they actually purchased. :eek:

My advice to a newer cuemaker would be to build a cue that they would feel proud to play with. And to remember that cuemakers made great cues and built solid reputations way before "cue build offs", AZB, and the internet. They did it the old fashioned way... They paid their dues and earned it.

* THE FINE PRINT: Everything said here can work against a cuemaker too. If a few key members of AZB have a problem with them or their cues, they might as well quit making cues and go crawl under a rock. Their name will be mud and they won't ever sell one single thing on this forum.

Quoted entirely as this may be the finest post in the last year or two. Smart words from the pier.

Dave

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why?

Oh my god! Blasphemy I say!
Someone has spoken the truth with a dose of common sense. This should be considered for post of the year and be required reading for all new players to the game.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why?

Those are great sayings to describe a cue, but only if they are used when true. If you get a cue that is suposed to hit a ton it should hit a ton. The problem is when these phrases are just thrown out there by people who have no clue what a monster player really is and what a cue that hits a ton feels like. John Wright introduced many to the phrase hits a ton and I have never heard anyone say anything about that.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Why?

Best of the best! This post is in a class by itself!!

Remy

Fear none, respect all.
Silver Member
Dave, i just did the exact same thing and you beat me to it! 20 years of experience! Wheat might have drawn his on with a sharpie but alteast they lined up:grin:
I can truly vouch for that :(:) At the end it was all good though....best of luck to Big EW.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Why?

I was late seeing this post. Someone pasted it to the bottom of their post and I looked it up.

Some on here have tried the short cut by what almost seems like them paying people on AZ to promote their product on here. Like you said it may help in the short run, but they have to live up to the hype or they may become a shooting star.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was late seeing this post. Someone pasted it to the bottom of their post and I looked it up.

Some on here have tried the short cut by what almost seems like them paying people on AZ to promote their product on here. Like you said it may help in the short run, but they have to live up to the hype or they may become a shooting star.

The whole thing is kind of funny $300. from a no name maker.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
The whole thing is kind of funny $300. from a no name maker.

That hasn't even posted since 09-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Must be too busy making those special ferrules and shafts for $$$$
:rolleyes::D Did anyone look at his cues on his site? points don't line up, etc. and he says it's not important? AT his prices? Really!
In my opinion, unless it has an 'autopilot' button, the shaft or stick isn't going to make-up for lack of 'stroke' or 'aim' Either you put the time in, or you don't. The game you play will reflect it, no cue will change that, and neither will a snake-oil salesman nor 8 of his buddies chiming in.
JMHO.
Dave

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know how in all those 80's movies when something cool would happen people would spontaneously stand up and start clapping?

I just did that.

What do you mean 80's movies? I just the The Fighter and people are still doing that...lol

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess I am kind of late posting on this thread but... my price for 6-pie laminated shafts with black collar is $150.00, including a Kamui tip. Add for all the usual, matching rings, ivory ferrules etc.
Oh, and a note about Stroud's $300.00 for a shaft. He told me he kept raising the price to drive shaft buyers away. It did not work.

Bob Danielson
www.bdcuesandcomix.com

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
How much is everybody charging for shafts? Reason i'm asking is due to another thread here about some hack charging $200 for a shaft, and a relative newb builder in another thread charging $300 for his top grade shafts.

I didn't bother to read this entire thread because I really have no stake in the matter but I am curious as to why you started this thread by calling the other maker a "hack"? Why do you have to use an insult when you could have just said "this other guy" or something similar?

This is exactly why when I was introduced to you this past Saturday I politely shook your hand and turned and walked away.

And just for the record, I'm not impressed with your cues either. When you can make cues like Bill Schick, Ernie, or another one of the greats, then maybe you can have an attitude and ego like you do.