More camera help - video

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Damn is this thing small. Compact and full of good stuff

They pack a ton of punch in these little guys. I remember using Panasonic DVX100 and Sony VX2100 which were like $5000 cameras around 10 years or so ago and the quality is crap compared to these and also they were much bigger heavier cameras.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
They pack a ton of punch in these little guys. I remember using Panasonic DVX100 and Sony VX2100 which were like $5000 cameras around 10 years or so ago and the quality is crap compared to these and also they were much bigger heavier cameras.

The manual is about 1" thick. I HATE READING. Thankfully it is half English and rest is whatever. So I only hate 1/2 of it. I'll take my time getting familiar. Operating it won't be much of a big deal.....it's the transferring to computer and so on. There is a software disc.
Anyway just finished charging the battery. Hello page 1.

UPDATE....did a small amount of recording. Finally figured out how to play back and delete. Life is good (so far).

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frank...To get the video either viewing, or transferring to the hard drive, all you need is a cable with an android plug on one end and a USB on the other. You probably already have this cord, for your android phone or tablet. If not, it's really cheap at Radio Shack or other electronic stores. It might be wireless. The software disk and the book will tell you that. Either way, downloading from camera to computer is easy! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

The manual is about 1" thick. I HATE READING. Thankfully it is half English and rest is whatever. So I only hate 1/2 of it. I'll take my time getting familiar. Operating it won't be much of a big deal.....it's the transferring to computer and so on. There is a software disc.

UPDATE....did a small amount of recording. Finally figured out how to play back and delete. Life is good (so far).

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Go on line

You tube has thousands of instructional videos on operate any camera .....

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...how+to+operatere+a+hf+g20+camcorder&FORM=VDRE

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member

With the camera you can put 2 SD cards up to 32gb each and set the camera to record to the SD card. This is the best way to do it and you can program it to record to the SD card instead of the hard drive in the camera. You can then just pop the SD card out when you want the footage which is easier then plugging your camera into the computer and having it powered on.

You can work with the files straight from the SD card and delete when done. Make sure to format the SD card and the option to do that is in the camera. This camera can also be set up to record for a ridiculous amount of hours by having it record to hard drive and when you run out of space there it will automatically start recording to the SD card in slot A then record to slot B so you can record virtually non stop for like 24 hours depending on the quality setting.

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
With the camera you can put 2 SD cards up to 32gb each and set the camera to record to the SD card. This is the best way to do it and you can program it to record to the SD card instead of the hard drive in the camera. You can then just pop the SD card out when you want the footage which is easier then plugging your camera into the computer and having it powered on.

You can work with the files straight from the SD card and delete when done. Make sure to format the SD card and the option to do that is in the camera. This camera can also be set up to record for a ridiculous amount of hours by having it record to hard drive and when you run out of space there it will automatically start recording to the SD card in slot A then record to slot B so you can record virtually non stop for like 24 hours depending on the quality setting.
Are all 32gb cards the same. Is there a particular one to buy. By using SD cards do I still download the software discs. I'm using an Apple computer.
Talent-less me is enjoying the camera so far. TOUCH SCREEN. Pretty neat.

You tube has thousands of instructional videos on operate any camera .....

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...how+to+operatere+a+hf+g20+camcorder&FORM=VDRE
OK..thanks...great link.

Frank...To get the video either viewing, or transferring to the hard drive, all you need is a cable with an android plug on one end and a USB on the other. You probably already have this cord, for your android phone or tablet. If not, it's really cheap at Radio Shack or other electronic stores. It might be wireless. The software disk and the book will tell you that. Either way, downloading from camera to computer is easy! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
Thanks Scott. The package includes all kinds of cables. The coolest thing would be if the camera has Set, Pause and Finish/Freeze modes.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
Dealing with BH photo. I received the camera on June 2. The price on the HF G20 went down $50 last night ....without hesitating the $50 was returned to my credit card.

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok next.... I'm getting slightly familiar with the camera and can begin to make adjustments.
I'm downloading onto a Mac from a 32gSD card..I can edit and can send or post a video.
So far so good. I cannot log onto POTN(Photography On The Net)...it won't let me on...and cannot register.
What are the other good camcorder forums. Thanks, Frank

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Ok next.... I'm getting slightly familiar with the camera and can begin to make adjustments.
I'm downloading onto a Mac from a 32gSD card..I can edit and can send or post a video.
So far so good. I cannot log onto POTN(Photography On The Net)...it won't let me on...and cannot register.
What are the other good camcorder forums. Thanks, Frank

Have you started posting anything up on YouTube or Vimeo? 32gb is a good card, Class 10 is what you want to be using.

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
Have you started posting anything up on YouTube or Vimeo? 32gb is a good card, Class 10 is what you want to be using.

Using a Sandisk 32G 10 (3). You suggested recording on an SD and use it to download and edit. Works like a champ.

Have not posted anything but can email. I have some beginners recording flaws. Not sure about recording speeds and other things but now that I'm started I can make adjustments. Some flickering (whatever its called) on movement. Object distorts for a moment. Also the video from the Mac is small. Can I enlarge them. Resolution, size of video, etc.
Apple stores have a weekly video(camcorder) workshop. I plan to attend the workshop.
Did you get your G20?

Last edited:

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Using a Sandisk 32G 10 (3). You suggested recording on an SD and use it to download and edit. Works like a champ.

Have not posted anything but can email. I have some beginners recording flaws. Not sure about recording speeds and other things but now that I'm started I can make adjustments. Some flickering (whatever its called) on movement. Object distorts for a moment. Also the video from the Mac is small. Can I enlarge them. Resolution, size of video, etc.
Apple stores have a weekly video(camcorder) workshop. I plan to attend the workshop.
Did you get your G20?

1080p 30 is the setting that will do everything you need. You can adjust the bit rate to get more recording time on a card. Its all in the manual. The more light you have the better. If the camera has a manual setting you can use it to focus on the table so the autofocus wont shift when you walk in front of it.

The best thing to do is just take an hour and dig into the manual. I've been fooling with cameras for a long time now and I still read the manual when I get a new one. There will be a lot of stuff you wont need or use like scene profiles or how to take a still but just skip over that stuff and learn about the auto features, how to adjust things manually if possible and the different recording settings.

One of the compromises with a small consumer camera is most settings are buried in the menus. No real way to figure those out without wading through the book.

Does your camera record to an MP4 codec or the Canon XF codec? Mine uses the XF and my Mac doesnt like it. I import to Premiere Pro and it works fine. Welcome to the world of video where everything is more complicated than it needs to be.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
:killingme:
1080p 30 is the setting that will do everything you need. You can adjust the bit rate to get more recording time on a card. Its all in the manual. The more light you have the better. If the camera has a manual setting you can use it to focus on the table so the autofocus wont shift when you walk in front of it.

The best thing to do is just take an hour and dig into the manual. I've been fooling with cameras for a long time now and I still read the manual when I get a new one. There will be a lot of stuff you wont need or use like scene profiles or how to take a still but just skip over that stuff and learn about the auto features, how to adjust things manually if possible and the different recording settings.

One of the compromises with a small consumer camera is most settings are buried in the menus. No real way to figure those out without wading through the book.

Does your camera record to an MP4 codec or the Canon XF codec? Mine uses the XF and my Mac doesnt like it. I import to Premiere Pro and it works fine. Welcome to the world of video where everything is more complicated than it needs to be.

Gotcha thanks. Now that I'm beginning to understand the menu/function settings I refer to the book for settings. I'm currently working with Manual. The colors are adjustable and things seem to be in order for now. I did a short vid of shooting a rack. Recording is decent and acceptable...... And beneficial ... Noticed I'm not pausing long enough after the backswing. But that's a personal problem. :killingme::killingme:

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there a height extension made for tripods. I can use 12-18". I have a Manfrotto 3021B with a 3130 Fluid head. Thanks, Frank

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
The Canon G7X Mark II compact camera has very good low light capability. It has a larger sensor than most compacts which gives better image quality. Also has great optics. You can shoot as low as f/2 for shallow DOF.

The video on this camera is beautiful and its small enough to carry everywhere. The only downside I see is somewhat limited focal length.

Btw, it takes beautiful photos also. I've attached an example I took.

Here's a review...

https://youtu.be/NOPyLXzzCsg

Attachments

• 32080268995_d69ccced02_o.jpg
    32080268995_d69ccced02_o.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 92

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
This probably belongs in the NPR section .. but nice pic. Although I'm a Nikon person these days, Canon makes a damn fine camera.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm really enjoying the HF G20. Great camera...zero complaints. However I want to buy another camcorder... Would get another G20 but they are discontinued. What's the latest in low light recorders for $500-$1000. Prefer Canons that use SD cards ....

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think look up YouTube streaming cameras now I think they are called. They are regular DSLR cameras but geared towards streamers. The time recording limits are gone. You can use any lens you want. They usually have a nicer mic built in. The screen can be flipped (for selfie videos) but that can come in super handy if you make it ceiling mounted over a pool table.

Sonys brand is called alpha xyz.