Mosconi Cup Team Announced

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Great team can't wait too watch think were gonna take it this year :thumbup:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Personally, I'd call anything worse than 11-8 to be an embarrassment.

Even in the era of European dominance, when we've picked our own team (as opposed to Matchroom's meddling and selection of the entre team in 2013) we've averaged 11-8.

This team has a chance to win, but with Sossei rather than Schmidt, our chances would have been far better.

My prediction, and I may change it once the European team is finalized, is Europe 11-8.

Last edited:

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
I like this team and I like Mark's picks, a good mix of vets and young guns. I see Shane as the anchor this year, someone who must lead by example. As Shane goes, so goes Team USA. I think both Corey and John can act as mentors to JB and JH, thus forming good two man teams.

They may not win (yes they are big underdogs) but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is very close. Even an upset is possible. I also like that Mark is keeping the other three team members (not picked) involved. He has created the framework for a strong and cohesive team. I agree about John not playing that much this year, but I know that he will be preparing in earnest for the Mosconi, and this is a guy who can shoot with the best of them!

It should be an interesting and exciting Mosconi Cup this year and I don't want to miss any of it.

I like the team except for Bergman. He comes across as not a good representative for the US. I have seen him wear a hoodie at Jim Rempe's 14.1 HOF induction and while on the live stream of a major bar box event constantly smoking and hammering beers like it was league night. I may be wrong but it seems like he has a lot of growing up to do in 6 weeks. I would have picked Sossei!

Wedge

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Personally, I'd call anything worse than 11-8 to be an embarrassment.

Even in the era of European dominance, when we've picked our own team (as opposed to Matchroom's meddling and selection of the entre team in 2013) we've averaged 11-8.

This team has a chance to win, but with Sossei rather than Schmidt, our chances would have been far better.

My prediction, and I may change is once the European team is finalized, is Europe 11-8.

I also like Jeremy and that must have been a tough pick for Mark to make. Jeremy may have more experience playing the top European players than anyone else except Shane. So he would be more comfortable playing against them imo. Jeremy had a good U.S. Open as well, taking some big scalps along the way to a nice money finish.

ScottyDzntKnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John hasn't been playing that much but I'm sure he'd still swim through a river of shit to match up with any of the guys in red

There's about 3 names in red you could bust me if John played even rotation with.
Jhall
Bartrum
Josh Roberts
Let me know if it happens..lol

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well not that this necessarily means anything, but the last significant time period wherein John Schmidt wasn't doing much in rotation pool (or pool at all really) he managed to saunter off the golf course into the US Open and win the whole thing. So I wouldn't count him out entirely.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did they anounce the refs and broadcasters yet? Johnnyt

Refs are almost certainly Michaela Tabb and Nigel Rees. Broadcasters are Jim Wych, Jerry Forsyth and Andy Goldberg (an English guy who plays pretty good snooker and pool).

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coach Wilson made his picks, now it's our turn to support him and Team USA!!! Bring back the Mosconi Cup!!!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Coach Wilson made his picks, now it's our turn to support him and Team USA!!! Bring back the Mosconi Cup!!!

Well said, today we can analyze the picks as we please, but the smoke will clear quickly and all that remains will be to wish this team well and cheer our hardest.

Go get 'em, Team USA.

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing, only because it hasn't come up in the thread, that it is not controversial that Mike DeChaine didn't get picked?

l'm certainly not familiar enough to know, but I did think he was being strongly considered.

What are your thoughts on why/how he didn't get the nod?

abbassi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing, only because it hasn't come up in the thread, that it is not controversial that Mike DeChaine didn't get picked?

l'm certainly not familiar enough to know, but I did think he was being strongly considered.

He was passed over because of his attitude, supposedly, LOL. He has played well all year. Criteria for Mosconi players in the USA has changed.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

This thread is not about Mike Dechaine. The choices were made from the Mosconi 8 named in March and Mike was not among them. There is nothing controversial here.

Mike knows why he wasn't selected, and instead of moaning, he committed himself to greater excellence as both a player and a person.

Just for the sake of Mike's friends sand fans, in a US Open thread, here's what Jay Helfert posted:

..... Like many of you I was very impressed with Mike Dechaine's play at the Open. He is definitely a world class player who is capable of beating anyone on a given day. More than that he has matured as a person and player. I'm sure that he will be a mainstay on Team USA for many years to come .....

As a fan of USA pool, this is good to read, as nobody has more credibility in American pool than Jay Helfert.

But, again, this thread is not about Mike. For Mike, it's all about next year.

Last edited: