Mosconi Cup: This is what I saw....

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I would honestly take the 5 best league players in the country - they are used to team play and theres more than a few that can win a race to 5 or 10 against either team
Jason

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
lol sry, but Jam (and others) got already countered all over the forum and everyone who once had a cue in their hands saw what happened.....and now instead of accepting the fact and look forward they do excactly the opposite, whining about the races, rolls and weather and dreaming of keith mcgrady in the cup...... and beside that they belittle the euros with their ignorant views!
sry again, but someone who ignores the facts like that should be better prepared for a little backfire than crying trolls everywhere...... or become US president!

JAM:
I think the issue may be that in most professional sports, the winners are more humble. In this regard, Team Europe was full of glee in their victory, and rightfully so. I did not hear any bad words come out of the mouths of any Team Europe member. The Team Europe fans, though, especially on this forum, continue to kick Team USA when they're down.

I watch other sports on TV like football, tennis, golf, basketball, baseball, and I've never seen a team belittle their opponent, even when the other team loses badly. There is a respect among their peers.

Pool, I guess, is different in this respect. Fans come in all flavors. Some express themselves in a more intelligent manner than others.

You consider this "bashing"?? Not nary a bad word about Team Europe. Yeah, she thinks European fans are a bit over the top, so what. Do you really think you have a leg to stand on? Football matches in Europe are on entire another level than we've seen anywhere on the face of the earth. Heck, those football fans can even give Philadelphia fans the Orange Crush ;)

Personally, the European fans don't bother me that much as long as there is NO VIOLENCE. Also are you not the same folks that HATE Earl Strickland ???

Last edited:

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM:
I think the issue may be that in most professional sports, the winners are more humble. In this regard, Team Europe was full of glee in their victory, and rightfully so. I did not hear any bad words come out of the mouths of any Team Europe member. The Team Europe fans, though, especially on this forum, continue to kick Team USA when they're down.

I watch other sports on TV like football, tennis, golf, basketball, baseball, and I've never seen a team belittle their opponent, even when the other team loses badly. There is a respect among their peers.

Pool, I guess, is different in this respect. Fans come in all flavors. Some express themselves in a more intelligent manner than others.

You consider this "bashing"?? Not nary a bad word about Team Europe. Yeah, she thinks European fans are a bit over the top, so what. Do you really think you have a leg to stand on? Football matches in Europe are on entire another level than we've seen anywhere on the face of the earth. Heck, those football fans can even give Philadelphia fans the Orange Crush ;)

Personally, the European fans don't bother me that much as long as there is NO VIOLENCE. Also are you not the same folks that HATE Earl Strickland ???

i wont play that quoting game with you, there are several threads with whiney comments not only from jam all over the forum, just look out for them or read the comments from other users in this thread, doesnt seem to be anything new......oh well, i stop now, dont wanna give more material to play the poor victim card!

and to earl, how could anybody hate that hotheaded sore loser, bad winner and big idol of the whiners? nah hes way too entertaining to hate him lol like morris "just roll it in i make it from everywhere" and sells out with a smile on his face...... smart? not really, but entertaining as hell lol

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I do respect JAM most of the time. I know she has more love for the US players than most(all) of us. I just wish she could see that we all love our team too, we are just realist and know we are in trouble.

Some of us won't make excuses, and as smart as she is, I'm surprised constantly that she does.

She has a brilliant mind standing right behind her and I'm sure he can see what is going on with OUR team. Maybe we can hear his thoughts on what needs to be fixed.

I guess I'm tryiny to tell Jennie I'm sorry for the comments but me being me won't let it go and I feel like we need to face the facts!

No doubt Keith, Earl, Rodney, Massey, and Hatch would at least make it fun and with a little table time have a solid chance - these guys are all killers!!!
Jason

Set keith free!!!!! With a strong eye on him of course ;)

PS. I got a few hundred on sending Jennie with keith.

Last edited:

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Hearing people make these excuses why we lost this is like the dnc blaming the entirety of there loss to racism. They've kicked our ass for 7 years in a row. They're just better. If your not honest with yourself in defeat you'll never win.

not only are they better but seem to really relax and enjoy playing with each other. I saw a few matches and never saw any camaraderie with team USA. it appeared that they were non supportive of each other or just don't like each other. while the euros were on a party bus the entire event.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
not only are they better but seem to really relax and enjoy playing with each other. I saw a few matches and never saw any camaraderie with team USA. it appeared that they were non supportive of each other or just don't like each other. while the euros were on a party bus the entire event.

I saw more from MD than anybody else on team USA.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
i wont play that quoting game with you, there are several threads with whiney comments not only from jam all over the forum, just look out for them or read the comments from other users in this thread, doesnt seem to be anything new......oh well, i stop now, dont wanna give more material to play the poor victim card!

You can't play the "quoting" game because there is NOTHING for you to quote.
Well, that's your problem. You come into a thread to post, but are posting based on what someone said in another thread, weeks, months or years ago, and thus shows you just have an axe to grind.

Again, lets stay on point. Europeans fans are WAY over the top when it comes to sports. She was NOT wrong, as usual. This below is one of MANY articles on the subject, it's borderline crazy.

European soccer's governing body warned the English and Russian soccer associations on Sunday their teams could be disqualified from Euro 2016 if there was more of the fan violence that has injured several dozen people.

UEFA's threat came after it began disciplinary proceedings against the Russian federation on Sunday following ugly scenes inside Marseille's Stade Velodrome stadium at the end of Saturday's match between England and Russia.

UEFA said it would also investigate allegations of racist behavior and the throwing of missiles and fireworks.

The violence in the stadium followed three days of clashes between English, Russian and French fans in the Mediterranean port city of Marseille that drew a strong response from riot police.

UEFA said it was "disgusted" and would not hesitate to impose sanctions, including "the potential disqualification of their respective teams from the tournament, should such violence occur again". It said a decision on sanctions against Russia would be made on Tuesday.

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve called the fans' behavior barbaric and said it was "absolutely necessary that national federations whose supporters create incidents of this nature be penalized".

Bottom line is Team USA sucks right now, and has for a few years. Just like Team Europe sucked for a long time as well. USA will great again one day, and I'm sure it will go back and force for a few more decades, maybe centuries. But Team USA is our team, and we'll root for them just the same. Sure, folks can complain, but it's still the best event to watch in pool bar none. We lost, but I still enjoyed watching it. You can't win them all.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You can't play the "quoting" game because there is NOTHING for you to quote.
Well, that's your problem. You come into a thread to post, but are posting based on what someone said in another thread, weeks, months or years ago, and thus shows you just have an axe to grind.

Again, lets stay on point. Europeans fans are WAY over the top when it comes to sports. She was NOT wrong, as usual. This below is one of MANY articles on the subject, it's borderline crazy.

European soccer's governing body warned the English and Russian soccer associations on Sunday their teams could be disqualified from Euro 2016 if there was more of the fan violence that has injured several dozen people.

UEFA's threat came after it began disciplinary proceedings against the Russian federation on Sunday following ugly scenes inside Marseille's Stade Velodrome stadium at the end of Saturday's match between England and Russia.

UEFA said it would also investigate allegations of racist behavior and the throwing of missiles and fireworks.

The violence in the stadium followed three days of clashes between English, Russian and French fans in the Mediterranean port city of Marseille that drew a strong response from riot police.

UEFA said it was "disgusted" and would not hesitate to impose sanctions, including "the potential disqualification of their respective teams from the tournament, should such violence occur again". It said a decision on sanctions against Russia would be made on Tuesday.

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve called the fans' behavior barbaric and said it was "absolutely necessary that national federations whose supporters create incidents of this nature be penalized".

Bottom line is Team USA sucks right now, and has for a few years. Just like Team Europe sucked for a long time as well. USA will great again one day, and I'm sure it will go back and force for a few more decades, maybe centuries. But Team USA is our team, and we'll root for them just the same. Sure, folks can complain, but it's still the best event to watch in pool bar none. We lost, but I still enjoyed watching it. You can't win them all.

Team USA will not win period! They have NO chance of winning. But I will still root for them! LONG LIVE JAM!!!!!!
Jason

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lord.....What happened to this thread?

I mentioned Ten-Ball for one reason. Pressure is brought on Barry Hearn every year to go to Ten-Ball. He will have none of it. The choices Mr. Hearn makes for the Mosconi Cup are no accident.

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Everyone just stop... The state of chaos is doing the same things over and over again, and expecting a different result. It is simple, time to change (period) -- when professional teams of any other sport do not produce, what happens?! (Why should it be different for our sport?) I love and respect the entire team from the coach down to every single player.. And I honestly believe that the Europeans "individually" are not better than us; as we beat them all year long (with the exception of Jayson Shaw who is having an amazing year). So, it's time to pull out the white board (respectfully), you can leave Sky and Justin, but give others a chance Oscar Dominguez, Jorge Rodriguez, and Jeremy Sossei are my picks (why not)..
I agree with keeping Sky and Justin on the team and adding Ocar, but I would prefer to see Billy Thorpe and Josh Roberts instead of your other picks, as I feel that these two have a lot of potential and have been really been proving themselves as of late. A young and fearless team might work the best.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Lord.....What happened to this thread?

I mentioned Ten-Ball for one reason. Pressure is brought on Barry Hearn every year to go to Ten-Ball. He will have none of it. The choices Mr. Hearn makes for the Mosconi Cup are no accident.

Thank heaven that the Mosconi is not ten ball. Nearly every major tournament of the pool calendar is nine ball, including most WPA ranking points events (which includes the US Open 9-ball), and all Euro-tour events (other than the no-prize-money Euro championships). Similarly, all Matchroom events are nine ball (World Pool Masters, World Cup of Pool and Mosconi Cup). The world knows nine ball best.

Matchroom's formula is, and always has been, to keep the show moving along. Short race nine ball with a shot clock and no racking arguments is how they get it down. Ten ball takes more time, even if played Texas Express style. With call shot, it would take a lot longer. Expecting Matchroom to switch to a slower game may be a pipedream.

It is, by the way, not accurate to say that ten ball is the standard game in America. Most amateurs don't even know the game exists, and most pro events are still nine ball.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
She brings it on herself every single time and then blames everybody else, just like shes blaming everything but the players for the massacre at MC. She bashes Canadians, Europeans, and Americans that face the facts by calling them traitors - unbelievable!

Then says other sports don't have fans talking crap to eachother:rotflmao::rotflmao1: who in their right mind would say or believe something like that.

I wish I didn't have to post this but you kinda get sick of seeing the same thing happen over and over to people who disagree with ANYTHING she says.

I do enjoy alot of her posts but not this crap.
Jason<--------doesn't care, blast away

Dontt worry about it buddy , it clearly shows the level of their game with all the ignorant dumb excuses.

This is what i conclude ,

When anyone else but the americans win , its because
1) Pockets are too big
2) The crowds are sharking em
3) If its not a Diamond or brunswick made in usa, these table are definitely chinese knock-offs n the balls roll in circles
4) Races are not to 100
5) Its not winner break

But when the Americans win , its ONLY AND EXCLUSIVELY BECAUSE THEY ARE DARN GOOD N THE BEST IN THE WORLD N NO ONE BUT EM ARE EXPECTED TO WIN !
THE FACT THAT ANYONE ELSE EVEN THINKING BOUT WINNING IS A SIN !

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Ten ball takes more time, even if played Texas Express style. With call shot, it would take a lot longer. ...

The difference is not as large as we might expect. I've been collecting stats on match lengths and minutes per game for quite a while. Obviously, results vary quite a bit from event to event for reasons that include rule differences, whether a shot clock was used, and who was playing. But I just did some aggregating for events I followed on stream over the past couple of years. Here's what I got (excludes any events on 7-footers).

9-Ball -- 5.8 min./game for over 2,700 games in 10 events. The events ranged from 4.8 min./game at the 2016 DCC 9-Ball to 6.8 min./game for the 2014 WPA World 9-Ball.

10-Ball -- 6.0 min./game for over 1,600 games in 7 events (including 2 Bigfoot events and 3 call-shot events). The range here was 5.0 min./game for the 2015 Accu-Stats Make It Happen event to 7.0 min./game for the 2014 CSI 10-Ball Invitational.

Interesting, eh?

For the just-completed Mosconi Cup, the average was about 6.2 min./game. But those matches included commercials between some of the games. So I also checked the video replays on genipool, with the commercials deleted. The average using the genipool videos is 5.4 min./game.

[The elapsed time for each match was measured from the lag until the winning ball was made (or conceded), so it includes time for racking and timeouts.]

P.S. We know Matchroom isn't changing it for the Mosconi Cup. :)

Mezz'd up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Totally agree - especially Van boeing and Dechaine, they are like enemy's forced to play with each other, and don't even speak to each other.

Morris won his singles but in team play - so many misses. :frown: Bring Archer back at least.

What I found annoying was - if any a USA player called as extension - or over ran his shape - he was heckled with cat calls and a bunch of idiot's doing WWF Rick Flair - whoooo's. Usually the UK fans have more class but it seems times have changed there.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The difference is not as large as we might expect. I've been collecting stats on match lengths and minutes per game for quite a while. Obviously, results vary quite a bit from event to event for reasons that include rule differences, whether a shot clock was used, and who was playing. But I just did some aggregating for events I followed on stream over the past couple of years. Here's what I got (excludes any events on 7-footers).

9-Ball -- 5.8 min./game for over 2,700 games in 10 events. The events ranged from 4.8 min./game at the 2016 DCC 9-Ball to 6.8 min./game for the 2014 WPA World 9-Ball.

10-Ball -- 6.0 min./game for over 1,600 games in 7 events (including 2 Bigfoot events and 3 call-shot events). The range here was 5.0 min./game for the 2015 Accu-Stats Make It Happen event to 7.0 min./game for the 2014 CSI 10-Ball Invitational.

Interesting, eh?

For the just-completed Mosconi Cup, the average was about 6.2 min./game. But those matches included commercials between some of the games. So I also checked the video replays on genipool, with the commercials deleted. The average using the genipool videos is 5.4 min./game.

[The elapsed time for each match was measured from the lag until the winning ball was made (or conceded), so it includes time for racking and timeouts.]

P.S. We know Matchroom isn't changing it for the Mosconi Cup. :)

This doesn't jive with the zillions of nine ball and ten ball events I've attended, but your stats are your stats and need to be taken seriously.

Mind you, there's a reason that typical ten ball tournaments have shorter races than typical nine ball events, and that's because tournament directors, without any exceptions of which I know, believe that ten ball takes longer. When the PBT switched from nine ball to ten ball in 1998/99, they shortened the race from eleven to ten.

Also, the Big Foot, an invitational consisting of the creme de la creme of pool, doesn't take as long per rack as typical ten ball events because there are so few misses. Again, based on my observation, not on any compiled stats.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This doesn't jive with the zillions of nine ball and ten ball events I've attended, but your stats are your stats and need to be taken seriously.

Mind you, there's a reason that typical ten ball tournaments have shorter races than typical nine ball events, and that's because tournament directors, without any exceptions of which I know, believe that ten ball takes longer. When the PBT switched from nine ball to ten ball in 1998/99, they shortened the race from eleven to ten.

Also, the Big Foot, an invitational consisting of the creme de la creme of pool, doesn't take as long per rack as typical ten ball events because there are so few misses. Again, based on my observation, not on any compiled stats.

I think your last point is valid. Most of AtLarge's stats are from pro heavy events. Now if he were to compile stats on my 9 and 10 ball matches, he'd find that 10 ball does take longer :grin-square:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Yes, what my numbers show so far (based on thousands of games) does not jive with conventional (and possibly largely unsupported) wisdom. Despite the numbers, I, too, would do what you have said above about tournament directors -- assume a little extra time, on average, for 10-Ball games. That still seems to make sense.

As for the Bigfoot, the 10-foot table increases errors (including misses). Misses averaged about 1 for every 1.6 games at the 2016 Bigfoot, 1 for every 2 1/3 games at the 2016 WPA World 9-Ball, and 1 for every 2½ games at the 2016 US Open 9-Ball (streamed matches only for the latter two events). Removing the 2 Bigfoot events from the previous post's calculations for 10-Ball actually reduces the average from 6.0 min./game to 5.9. [But that leaves only 5 events in the calculation.]

The US Open 10-Ball events (on 7-footers) for the last 2 years averaged about 5.3 min./game for about 500 streamed games. But we don't want to talk about 7-footers.