Mosconi Cup: This is what I saw....

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ten ball takes more time.....

I really don't know if that is what Mr. Hearn is thinking about. There are big differences beyond the time factor. Ten-Ball is Nine-Ball with shackles and a ball-&-chain. Fun and entertainment value are high on Mr Hearn's priority list.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I really don't know if that is what Mr. Hearn is thinking about. There are big differences beyond the time factor. Ten-Ball is Nine-Ball with shackles and a ball-&-chain. Fun and entertainment value are high on Mr Hearn's priority list.

I think it's entirely the time factor. Matchroom events are the only pool events in the world of predictable length, perfect for fans in attendance and perfect for fans watching on TV/Internet. That's their edge.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure that if I were at an elite level in the sport, that I would want to help
another competitor and/or share strategy or skill base with them. I know it is a
significant payout for some, but even given that I'm not sure I would help. Maybe
I'm just selfish..

Why do the euros gel better, and team up better? Is it because they hang together
more tightly from coming over here and being outsiders, bond more??

I think maybe, in the past our team members may have ... some, or all, have been
on the road together in some form or another? IDK.... just guessing

td

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I saw

I saw several of America's best pool players trying hard to win. I know they had to be disappointed with results.

I thank every one of them for representing America and doing it like gentlemen and true sportsman. What a great group of pool shooting guys!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the largest factor is that he has a lot of branding invested in nine ball events. As for the time factor, I'm going with the actual measured numbers -- it appears that there is no significant difference.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it's entirely the time factor. Matchroom events are the only pool events in the world of predictable length, ...
Except for the Mosconi Cup format which is perhaps the least predictable pool event on TV with regard to length. They almost had no fourth day this year.

First to six ahead at one pocket, anyone? :wink:

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
I don't think it would be advantageous to anyone but I would like to see a tougher table. With short races and the shot clock I think it would be much more interesting.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
A business like Matchroom isn't going to listen to anyone. If it isn't 'their' idea, it simply isn't good enough. 9 ball, shot clock, races to 5 is what they want cause of TV/stream. Loose equipment so it shows players making shots is what they want. I do think they should consider moving the one ball back to the spot cause they changed it before to 9 ball on the spot to help the Euros. Time to help the US, obviously.

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
I do think they should consider moving the one ball back to the spot cause they changed it before to 9 ball on the spot to help the Euros. Time to help the US, obviously.

Do you really think that by moving the 1 ball on the spot USA would gain any advantage like in the old times? Do you realize how well experienced the European players are? And how much faster they're adapting to any change of rules compared to the US players?

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Do you really think that by moving the 1 ball on the spot USA would gain any advantage like in the old times? Do you realize how well experienced the European players are? And how much faster they're adapting to any change of rules compared to the US players?

I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't think it would help the USA. Dennis Hatch feels the same way, btw.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member

Uh, yeah it would. They're also not ADAPTING to rules changes. They are at the heart of the rule changes which cover shortcomings in their game. Just play the game it was always played & lets see how it shakes out.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Uh, yeah it would. They're also not ADAPTING to rules changes. They are at the heart of the rule changes which cover shortcomings in their game. Just play the game it was always played & lets see how it shakes out.

You sound like one of our US players, not adapting. The 9 ball is on the spot now, adapt to a rule change. Try to win.

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
Next thing you crybabies will ask is to stage the next MC in Shane's pool room and no safeties allowed. You're that hopeless. C'mon Asia, let's play some pool, finally!

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Next thing you crybabies will ask is to stage the next MC in Shane's pool room and no safeties allowed. You're that hopeless. C'mon Asia, let's play some pool, finally!

It's interesting whom you perceive to be crybabies. Tell you what, put the 1 on the spot, winner breaks let the chips fall where they may, you know, by the rules the game was always played by until EUROPEANS cried & changed the rules to suit your weaknesses. Look at where the crying started, then point fingers.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
It's interesting whom you perceive to be crybabies. Tell you what, put the 1 on the spot, winner breaks let the chips fall where they may, you know, by the rules the game was always played by until EUROPEANS cried & changed the rules to suit your weaknesses. Look at where the crying started, then point fingers.

The US can't win with the 8 and the break
Jason