Mosconi Memorabilia on Pawn Stars

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Hmmmm

Didn't anyone notice the guy selling the Mosconi stuff called Willie a 9ball Champion. And Rick didn't bat an eye. I thought Rick knew everything, or maybe his "mosconi guy" had the night off... who knows.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Didn't anyone notice the guy selling the Mosconi stuff called Willie a 9ball Champion. And Rick didn't bat an eye. I thought Rick knew everything, or maybe his "mosconi guy" had the night off... who knows.

Willie may not have been a 9 ball champion, but even worse - he knew NOTHING about 1P, could only run 8 and out. lol.

As for the episode - the KMart Sportcraft cue and case was kinda cheesy. I used to have a Mosconi edition Joss that came with a case. Now, if that were part of the collection (and the case had an actual signature) I'd have quickly paid four fiddy for it ;) :thumbup:

edit for cue link - http://www.josscues.com/cue_archives/Archive/html/Crystal/mosconi/JM526.html here's one that was listed on here - http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=2186439

shoulda kept that one

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Hmmmm

Or forget about the seller calling Willie a 9ball champion, he stated he played Mosconi in a match. I mean, exactly how old was this seller. He didn't look all that old (mid 40's ??) And how come Rick didn't catch this.

If a guy comes in selling Mosconi stuff and doesn't even know he was a straight pool champ, and then says he played him when he does not appear he is old enough to have ever played Willie, I don't think I'm buying sh*t from that guy.

Plus, Rick way over paid for this imho. Still a great show....but something don't smell right on this one.

ACE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own it now.....

I now own the Willie Mosconi memorabilia shadow box.
Everything is signed and each autograph has a certificate of authenticity.
Just curious what you think now...?

Attachments

• yimg-531945914-1-1009771054.jpg
    yimg-531945914-1-1009771054.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member

I think its pretty cool that you have it. I don't know why it would change anyone's idea on what it is, or what it is worth though.

I hope you paid less than the $450 that the store paid for it. But really, if you are happy with your purchase, who cares what it's worth? I own many things that I know are worth more to me than what I could get for them. It doesn't change any enjoyment of owning them.

On another note, I have a nice signed cue ball by Willie, Anyone care to estimate what it might be worth? It's legit and in excellent condition in a display case.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am a close follower of the market for such memorabilia.

I think it's a great set you have and I hope you enjoy owning it.

Buying the items on the open market and assembling such a display would not be too difficult. The most expensive component would in fact be the shadow box itself.

Of course, that does not include the sweat equity you would have in the value of your time and effort in finding the items. That generally isn't recoverable in the value of such a collection.

Nice set! Enjoy it! :smile:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think its pretty cool that you have it. I don't know why it would change anyone's idea on what it is, or what it is worth though.

I hope you paid less than the $450 that the store paid for it. But really, if you are happy with your purchase, who cares what it's worth? I own many things that I know are worth more to me than what I could get for them. It doesn't change any enjoyment of owning them.

On another note, I have a nice signed cue ball by Willie, Anyone care to estimate what it might be worth? It's legit and in excellent condition in a display case.

The shop paid $450 for it? I would say that is high retail.

Usually they max out at 50% of retail when buying an item. I wonder what they were thinking?

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or forget about the seller calling Willie a 9ball champion, he stated he played Mosconi in a match. I mean, exactly how old was this seller. He didn't look all that old (mid 40's ??) And how come Rick didn't catch this.

If a guy comes in selling Mosconi stuff and doesn't even know he was a straight pool champ, and then says he played him when he does not appear he is old enough to have ever played Willie, I don't think I'm buying sh*t from that guy.

Plus, Rick way over paid for this imho. Still a great show....but something don't smell right on this one.

This thread is like 6 years old and I am roughly the same age as the guy and I played Willie in a couple games at an event at some random billiard supply place once in LA maybe around 1991 or so, so it is possible he wasn't exactly lying. I think I paid $5 a game to play him so wouldn't exactly call it a match,

I also still have a signed program from a Willie Mosconi event at Hard Times in the same time frame. A young Earl Strickland won.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would those pieces have commanded a little more money had they been signed by Fats instead of Mosconi? Fats was every bit a household name as Mosconi - and maybe more because of "The Hustler". Plus, Mosconi had a reputation of being a real a*hole whereas everyone loved Fats.

already mentioned

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Uhm,it's REALITY TV,what are you wondering?;)

Exactly.

Pawn Stars has a team that searches Craigslist, Thrifty Nickel, ebay, etc., looking for items that fit the History channel theme. They contact the seller, pre-negotiate a price for the item and a small appearance fee, and just like the People's Court, Springer and others, fly them in on the cheap, put them up on the cheap and send them home.

Still, it is one of very few programs I truely enjoy.

ACE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned this piece of Willie Mosconi Memorabilia for about 8 years now. I was just curious what you thought about the monetary value or the trading value.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That pawn shop and it's tourists are starting to cause street traffic jams on Vegas Blvd from people trying to get in the parking lot. Sometimes forty people at a time lined up out front waiting to get in.

Yeah it depends, sometimes its a total circus outside and long lines, other times not so much.