Mosconi Memorabilia on Pawn Stars

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
This is very true. The book is probably not a first edition; the case and stick are no good. The autographed ball is something, though why Willie would sign a 9ball -- a game he hated -- is beyond me. I'd estimate the value at around $100 -150, mostly for the ball.

Lou Figueroa

I thought same exact thing. Willie HATED 9 ball, but if you think about it, that makes the autographed 9 ball much more of a rarity.

lol

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
Is it just me, or...

Would those pieces have commanded a little more money had they been signed by Fats instead of Mosconi? Fats was every bit a household name as Mosconi - and maybe more because of "The Hustler". Plus, Mosconi had a reputation of being a real a*hole whereas everyone loved Fats.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
That pawn shop and it's tourists are starting to cause street traffic jams on Vegas Blvd from people trying to get in the parking lot. Sometimes forty people at a time lined up out front waiting to get in.

Yeah, they've become celebrities. Watch, pretty soon someone will come in wanting to pawn Rick's own autograph. Wonder what he'd pay for it, or if he'd bring the expert in to authenticate the signature. :grin-square:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would those pieces have commanded a little more money had they been signed by Fats instead of Mosconi? Fats was every bit a household name as Mosconi - and maybe more because of "The Hustler". Plus, Mosconi had a reputation of being a real a*hole whereas everyone loved Fats.

A true Fat's autograph is a rarity in itself. He used his stamp pad, with his name inscribed on it, to sign/stamp most everything. It was not easy for him to write Minnesota Fats, as it wasn't his real name and he was functionally illiterate. He did sign a few things with his real name, Rudolf Wanderone, which he knew how to write. I had a photo of him and I together that he signed (RW) and then stamped. I haven't seen it in years, and it probably got lost in one of my many moves. :confused:

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually maybe if the sig was real. I never saw fats sign anything he carried a rubber stamp with his name on it. Someone said it was because he was illiterate and could not really sign his name but I tend to doubt that.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
I have a signed 8-ball worth about $50, the 9-ball is worth a little more because of the rarity. Fats used a rubber stamp to "sign" autographs!
:p

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
Wow! Never knew that...

A true Fat's autograph is a rarity in itself. He used his stamp pad, with his name inscribed on it, to sign/stamp most everything. It was not easy for him to write Minnesota Fats, being as how it wasn't his real name and he was functionally illiterate. He did sign a few things with his real name, Rudolf Wanderone, which he knew how to write. I had a photo of him and I together that he signed and then stamped. I haven't seen it in years, and it probably got lost in one of my many moves. :confused:

I never knew Fats was functionally illiterate to the point that he couldn't even sign his own name. I guess that would make a "true" Fats autograph really worth some money.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I have a signed 8-ball worth about $50, the 9-ball is worth a little more because of the rarity. Fats used a rubber stamp to "sign" autographs!

Ok, Ray, you seem to know what you're talking about here... about how much do you think I can get for an IPT 8 ball signed by Bernie Friend?

:)

tenballjoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately there are alot of fake Mosconi autographs with FAKE certificates of Authenticity...........Willie did sign a bunch of balls (once signed hundreds in a signing in Florioda alone) Boxes of balls were bought to him and signed. A authentic Mosconi ball signed will sell for about $65-$100..........a Irving Crane (signed way less stuff) or Jimmy Caras ball will sell for $125-$300 depending on condition and the only Luther Lassiter ball I ever seen sold for $775 at a auction Mosconi was one of if not the best ever but did sign alot and due to his popularity unfortuantely there are alot of fake signatures of Mosconi.

willie's autograph is unusually common, he was signing things at exhibitions for decades. sounds like rick overpaid for this stuff.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We must not forget, and Ricks says it al the time he is in business to make money. He also got taken on a phoney indian vest for $1,300.00 he bought so he don't alway hit hommers.

At least the fake vest looked good on Alvin the Chipmunk. :)

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
A true Fat's autograph is a rarity in itself. He used his stamp pad, with his name inscribed on it, to sign/stamp most everything. It was not easy for him to write Minnesota Fats, as it wasn't his real name and he was functionally illiterate. He did sign a few things with his real name, Rudolf Wanderone, which he knew how to write. I had a photo of him and I together that he signed (RW) and then stamped. I haven't seen it in years, and it probably got lost in one of my many moves. :confused:

It's a good thing for Bob Meucci that Fat's was illiterate - he may have never noticed that Bob spelled his name wrong on his custom-made cue ! It says Minn-A-sota Fats !:cool:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=199824&highlight=minnesota+meucci

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately there are alot of fake Mosconi autographs with FAKE certificates of Authenticity...........Willie did sign a bunch of balls (once signed hundreds in a signing in Florioda alone) Boxes of balls were bought to him and signed. A authentic Mosconi ball signed will sell for about $65-$100..........a Irving Crane (signed way less stuff) or Jimmy Caras ball will sell for $125-$300 depending on condition and the only Luther Lassiter ball I ever seen sold for $775 at a auction Mosconi was one of if not the best ever but did sign alot and due to his popularity unfortuantely there are alot of fake signatures of Mosconi.

Also, unfortunately, certificates of authenticity are easier to fake than a signature. It's a well known fact in the autograph collecting community that just about anybody can whip up a COA on a decent ink jet printer. COAs don't mean a damn thing. Best you can do is deal with a well known, reputable dealer.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, unfortunately, certificates of authenticity are easier to fake than a signature. It's a well known fact in the autograph collecting community that just about anybody can whip up a COA on a decent ink jet printer. COAs don't mean a damn thing. Best you can do is deal with a well known, reputable dealer.

Many people used to also having their pictures takes maybe even being handed the autograph. Today though with stuff you can do on a PC you can't trust anything. The way it seems to work is if an expert certifies something authentic, be it art or autographs what ever. Once done that is what it is from now on or until another expert disputes it starting the proses all over again.

Last edited:

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Ok, Ray, you seem to know what you're talking about here... about how much do you think I can get for an IPT 8 ball signed by Bernie Friend?

:)

I guess it would depend on who's selling it...if it were Bernie it would be a bundle, but if you were selling it I would guess around $20.

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Funny you should mention this Jay. Asked him for his autograph years ago and he broke out his stamp and hit the paper which was cool in itself. But asked him kindly if he would sign actually, he waited a second then did sign it personally. So ... had it framed and looks like a million dollars. Wouldn't sell it for big money. Not sure if there's anything like it out there!?! Signature is just like the stamp. He didn't sign it Rudolph Wanderone but Minnesota Fats. If I say so myself - very cool

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
I watch this show all the time also Jam. I was surprised to come home and seen that Mosconi stuff, it was DVR'd. I know like Mr. Scott Lee said, at the opening credits they show a glimpse of a nice cue but never had anything billiards related on the show. Someone not to long ago started a thread about this same subject. I know Rick pays 1/2 of what he's going to ask for it, so, there's most likely going to be a $1000 price tag on it. With all the experts he brings in, I'm surprised he didn't check the signatures. I couldn't remember if it was Fats or Mosconi didn't didn't sign stuff.